Re: Internet Explorer stuck on page

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by VanguardLH, Nov 29, 2009.

  1. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    don wrote:

    > after a party my interent explorer is stuck on a porn site for its homepage
    > and even after going to Advance tab and pressing Reset it is still
    > stuck........... Can I use the winxp disk recovery mode to reinstall
    > internet explorer and fix what I beleive to be malicious tampering on this
    > pc due to people looking at porn during the party

    If using Reset (and then exiting and reloading IE) didn't also reset the
    home page then you either have malware on your host (a likely cause
    considering someone probably downloaded and executed some crap from a porn
    site) or you have security software that locks in the home page and is
    unresetting it to the currently locked in value.

    Run a full scan of an updated copy of whatever anti-virus software you use.
    Use MalwareBytes. Try some of the online scanners from well-known anti-
    virus vendors. As to unlocking the lockdown on your web browser by security
    software, only you know what security software you have installed on your
    host.

    Um, so just HOW did these party goers get logged onto your host? You have a
    security issue in how YOU configured your host. Did you actually give
    everyone your login credentials? Why? Did you leave your host logged in so
    anyone walking over to it can use it? Why aren't you using a screen saver
    with its password protect option enabled? Why are you leaving you host
    without locking it (by activating the screen saver) via Winkey+L (or a
    button on your keyboard if it has some programmable keys)? If you
    configured your host for auto-logon (so no one has to enter a password on
    reboot to enter a password) then you are allowing anyone to use your
    computer. If you're going to leave your host open for anyone to use then
    why do you care about it's state? It's state will be defined by whomever
    you allow to use it. Yeah, someone did something nasty to your host but
    only because YOU whored out your host by not securing it as to just who can
    use it. Yeah, they did something bad but only because you enabled it. You
    don't lock the doors of your car when you leave it?

    At your next party, don't get so wasted that you don't know what's happening
    on your own premises.
    VanguardLH, Nov 29, 2009

  2. VanguardLH

    Mike Easter Guest

    VanguardLH wrote:
    > don wrote:
    >
    >> after a party my interent explorer is stuck on a porn site

    > Um, so just HOW did these party goers get logged onto your host?

    > You don't lock the doors of your car when you leave it?

    This is a good security topic.

    The concept is one of 'exposing' access or 'potential' physical access
    to one's computer - a problematic insecurity situation.

    Recently in alt.computer.security a guy was asking about how to spy on
    his wife's computer activities because he was suspicious of her online
    behaviors.

    In the past, I've setup a computer on a little home network exclusively
    for the purposes of being used by a guest. 'Hosts' who live in a home
    with only a single computer ethernetted to a cable modem and no wireless
    network are often confronted by the situation where a guest wants/needs
    to have some online access for something, which necessitates the
    host/ess providing unattended access to the household computer which
    isn't well secured because 99.99% of the time there is no (apparent)
    need.

    We should all configure our computers more securely, because we don't
    actually know what kind of circumstances are going to lead to someone
    physically accessing one or all of the computers in the house or
    homeoffice.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Nov 29, 2009