Re: Internet connect speed

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mellowed, Jul 25, 2003.

  1. Mellowed

    Mellowed Guest

    Try TCP Optimizer at http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

    "taywood" <> wrote in message
    : I have 56kdialup and have a personal reason for not wanting Broadband.
    : Over a year PCPitStop has tested the PC and each time found V Slow
    : connect speed using Onetel.net.uk as my ISP. I have tried tweaks and
    : fixes without showing much improvement.
    : I now have Freeuk as a standby ISP for emailing when Onetel is down.
    :
    : Just done a series of Download comparisons over a day and using the
    : same PC and setup, with tests seconds apart, Onetel is 11 to 22 and
    : Freeuk is consistently 40 to 45.
    : Is this difference reasonable?
    : Onetel is a big player and Freeuk is smaller with presumably less
    : traffic but is there something else I should be looking at and
    : questioning.
    : The results of a Full Test comparison were the same but CPU load using
    : Onetel was 3% but 6% when using Freeuk. Is this significant?
    : Any advice would be welcomed BUT dont tell me to go to Broadband.
    : Thanks

    Mellowed, Jul 25, 2003

  2. On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 07:09:04 -0700, While I was using pressure to stop
    the bleeding, "Mellowed" <> posted:
    ..

    >Try TCP Optimizer at http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

    Isn't that just for broadband?

    Bill Showengerdt, Jul 26, 2003

  3. Mellowed

    Mellowed Guest

    No. You select the type of service and then the pgm provides the settings
    for that service. Dialup is one of the choices.

    "Bill Showengerdt" <> wrote in message
    : On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 07:09:04 -0700, While I was using pressure to stop
    : the bleeding, "Mellowed" <> posted:
    : .
    : >

    Mellowed, Jul 26, 2003