Re: Internet based Instructions for using cameras

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bill, Nov 2, 2006.

  1. Bill

    Bill Guest

    "TSKO" <> wrote in message

    >I had actually found that site after I posted my question and I love
    >it (the site that is). That guy needs to put out a book.

    Geezes I hope not!
    A book from Rockwell would make everyone a dullard.

    While some of what Rockwell says is useful to newbies (no offense),
    like how to install a battery, turn on grid lines in a Nikon, and why
    JPG is better for dummies, any amateur or pro would laugh at his
    ludicrous suggestions and recommendations that are way off the mark
    and useless to someone who already has a clue what they're doing.

    If all you want to do is learn how to point and shoot with a DSLR and
    make 4x6 snaps of the kids, the dog, and vacation to Disneyworld,
    Rockwell is your guy. Follow what he says and you'll be able to bore
    your neighbours better than anyone else.

    :)

    Then once you learn a few things and you want to read truly useful
    information that will help you learn to become a better photographer,
    try any number of pros who know what they're talking about and
    actually want to help you improve your technique. I understand people
    like Thom Hogan, who makes a few ebooks, is a good place to start:

    http://www.bythom.com/

    Rob Galbraith is an experienced photojournalist with lots of useful
    info:

    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/index.asp

    And hit Google with questions or searches:

    http://www.google.com/

    Or visit your local library and read every magazine and/or book you
    can find about photography. And hit lots of internet sites too. That
    should at least get you going in the right direction.

    Knowledge is free...use it!

    Just my lowly opinion...
    Bill, Nov 2, 2006

  2. Bill

    TSKO Guest

    "Bill" <> wrote in message
    > "TSKO" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>I had actually found that site after I posted my question and I love it
    >>(the site that is). That guy needs to put out a book.

    > Geezes I hope not!
    > A book from Rockwell would make everyone a dullard.
    >
    > While some of what Rockwell says is useful to newbies (no offense), like
    > how to install a battery, turn on grid lines in a Nikon, and why JPG is
    > better for dummies, any amateur or pro would laugh at his ludicrous
    > suggestions and recommendations that are way off the mark and useless to
    > someone who already has a clue what they're doing.
    >
    > If all you want to do is learn how to point and shoot with a DSLR and make
    > 4x6 snaps of the kids, the dog, and vacation to Disneyworld, Rockwell is
    > your guy. Follow what he says and you'll be able to bore your neighbours
    > better than anyone else.
    >
    > :)
    >
    > Then once you learn a few things and you want to read truly useful
    > information that will help you learn to become a better photographer, try
    > any number of pros who know what they're talking about and actually want
    > to help you improve your technique. I understand people like Thom Hogan,
    > who makes a few ebooks, is a good place to start:
    >
    > http://www.bythom.com/
    >
    > Rob Galbraith is an experienced photojournalist with lots of useful info:
    >
    > http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/index.asp
    >
    > And hit Google with questions or searches:
    >
    > http://www.google.com/
    >
    > Or visit your local library and read every magazine and/or book you can
    > find about photography. And hit lots of internet sites too. That should at
    > least get you going in the right direction.
    >
    > Knowledge is free...use it!
    >
    > Just my lowly opinion...

    I have been researching books a bit and from what I have found, the Thom
    Hogan e-books dont seem to be well recieved. Look at the comments off
    Amazon for his e-book on the D70. Out of 11 ppl, 10 give it 1 star. I am
    not saying Amazon is the end all be all of photographic books and I
    personally havent looked at them...but just commenting. Anyone else out
    there like his stuff?
    TSKO, Nov 2, 2006

  3. Bill

    Jack Dale Guest

    On Thu, 2 Nov 2006 16:25:10 -0500, "Bill" <> wrote:

    >Then once you learn a few things and you want to read truly useful
    >information that will help you learn to become a better photographer,
    >try any number of pros who know what they're talking about and
    >actually want to help you improve your technique. I understand people
    >like Thom Hogan, who makes a few ebooks, is a good place to start:
    >
    >http://www.bythom.com/
    >
    >Rob Galbraith is an experienced photojournalist with lots of useful
    >info:
    >
    >http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/index.asp
    >
    >And hit Google with questions or searches:
    >
    >http://www.google.com/
    >
    >Or visit your local library and read every magazine and/or book you
    >can find about photography. And hit lots of internet sites too. That
    >should at least get you going in the right direction.
    >
    >Knowledge is free...use it!
    >
    >Just my lowly opinion...

    I would add:
    http://www.shortcourses.com/

    Jack
    Jack Dale, Nov 2, 2006
  4. On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 21:54:18 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "TSKO"
    <> wrote:

    >I have been researching books a bit and from what I have found, the Thom
    >Hogan e-books dont seem to be well recieved. Look at the comments off
    >Amazon for his e-book on the D70. Out of 11 ppl, 10 give it 1 star. I am
    >not saying Amazon is the end all be all of photographic books and I
    >personally havent looked at them...but just commenting. Anyone else out
    >there like his stuff?

    Got a link? I couldn't find any listing by searching. What were the
    negative comments? You'll find some of us around here have recommended them
    in the past and now for a very good detailed beginning book. I have it for
    my D70. This was my first slr period and I found it quite helpful. There's
    also Peter iNova's series.
    --
    Ed Ruf ()
    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Nov 2, 2006
  5. Bill

    Smokey Guest

    Consider the source. IMHO, those who take snapshots will not like Thom
    Hogan's ebooks, because they're too detailed, Photographers will love
    them, because they're so detailed.

    If you want to understand how to get the most out of your digital
    camera, try one of Thom's books for yourself.

    Smokey, Nov 3, 2006
  6. Bill

    TSKO Guest

    "Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 21:54:18 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "TSKO"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have been researching books a bit and from what I have found, the Thom
    >>Hogan e-books dont seem to be well recieved. Look at the comments off
    >>Amazon for his e-book on the D70. Out of 11 ppl, 10 give it 1 star. I am
    >>not saying Amazon is the end all be all of photographic books and I
    >>personally havent looked at them...but just commenting. Anyone else out
    >>there like his stuff?

    > Got a link? I couldn't find any listing by searching. What were the
    > negative comments? You'll find some of us around here have recommended
    > them
    > in the past and now for a very good detailed beginning book. I have it for
    > my D70. This was my first slr period and I found it quite helpful.
    > There's
    > also Peter iNova's series.
    > --
    > Ed Ruf ()
    > http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/General/index.html

    You know what, I was trying to find the link but I cant anymore. I went on
    Amazon yesterday and found the book no problem. There were 11 reviews on
    there and 10 out of the 11 had 1 star to them. I have been on there for 15
    minutes and I cant seem to find it anywhere.

    I honestly cant put my review to it for I havent seen one of his E-books. I
    just know what I saw yesterday.

    Since I cant remember what I ate yesterday, I honestly cant remember the
    what the reviews said. I have researched so many camera books, they all
    seem to run together.

    Once again though, I did look at it yesterday and did read about it. That
    much I do know.

    Anyways, if its something that is suggested, I will go on his website and
    check it out there.

    Thanx for the info
    TSKO, Nov 3, 2006
  7. "Bill" <> writes:

    >Or visit your local library and read every magazine and/or book you
    >can find about photography. And hit lots of internet sites too. That
    >should at least get you going in the right direction.

    That's good advice. There have been a *lot* of books written about
    photography over the years, and probably 75% of the content is still
    just as relevant today. Obviously, skip books about darkroom wet
    processing of film if you don't shoot film, but everything written
    about basic photographic concepts and exposure and composition are all
    still useful.

    The only "modern" books you may need are things that discuss Photoshop,
    colour management, and other computer-based photo processing - if you
    want to do that.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Nov 4, 2006