Re: Internet auctions

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Your Name, Nov 21, 2008.

  1. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Puddle wrote:
    > Yes, another example of how monopolies are good for us.
    > There are still good bargains on Trade Me but these days they are
    > harder to find and you have to be far more careful. It has become
    > retailer heaven really. They definitely need to separate the
    > retailers from normal sellers and also the one off sellers that you
    > talk about. Bargains can still be had, you just have to check their
    > history etc but in my opinion Trade Me are not doing enough
    > themselves to stop the ripoffs and scams. It is a shame there isn't
    > another site to compete with them.

    New Zealand doesn't really have a large enough population to sustain
    multiple auction web sites. That plus most of the others are tiny little
    operations that most people never hear of. There is a relatively new one
    that advertises in the NZ Herald quite a bit (probably because it's owned by
    them): http://www.sella.co.nz

    Your Name, Nov 21, 2008

  2. Your Name

    Richard Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Hear hear! Especially the bit about the retailers should be seperate from
    > private, casual sellers. Anything being sold "new" should be in a different
    > category, not cluttering up the auctions where people are looking for
    > bargains.

    Sadly the fee for reserve has bought this crap on since people dont want
    to pay the fee so have a high start so that noone can bid what they are
    prepared to pay so they never get the hint that they want too much.

    > LOL, I keep a few fish and I quite like Rena brand pumps. I have it as a
    > saved search. There's one guy who's listed the same POS second-hand filter
    > that he claims is only a few weeks old (but doesn't have the receipt to
    > prove it) every week for about five months. His start price is what the
    > thing would have cost retail. I admire his persistence. However, if it were
    > mine, I would have put it up for $1 reserve or thrown it at the wall by now.
    > LOL.

    There is used and new at the top of every page of search results and
    catagory listings on trademe. Why is that not suitable?

    Richard, Nov 21, 2008

  3. Your Name

    ~misfit~ Guest

    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Nov 22, 2008
  4. Your Name

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Hear hear! Especially the bit about the retailers should be seperate
    >> from private, casual sellers. Anything being sold "new" should be in
    >> a different category, not cluttering up the auctions where people
    >> are looking for bargains.

    > Sadly the fee for reserve has bought this crap on since people dont
    > want to pay the fee so have a high start so that noone can bid what
    > they are prepared to pay so they never get the hint that they want
    > too much.

    Yeah.

    >> LOL, I keep a few fish and I quite like Rena brand pumps. I have it
    >> as a saved search. There's one guy who's listed the same POS
    >> second-hand filter that he claims is only a few weeks old (but
    >> doesn't have the receipt to prove it) every week for about five
    >> months. His start price is what the thing would have cost retail. I
    >> admire his persistence. However, if it were mine, I would have put
    >> it up for $1 reserve or thrown it at the wall by now. LOL.

    > There is used and new at the top of every page of search results and
    > catagory listings on trademe. Why is that not suitable?

    Because I hadn't found that option. LOL.

    Thanks.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Nov 23, 2008