Re: interesting...

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike Yetto, Jan 4, 2011.

  1. Mike Yetto

    Mike Yetto Guest

    Joe <a#@#.com> writes and having writ moves on.
    >Muse Gruppes <> wrote in news:ifu3d5$i4c$1
    >@speranza.aioe.org:

    >> Windows 7 32bit runs FASTER on my machine than the 64 bit version did. i
    >> have 3 gigs of Ram
    >>
    >> I wonder why that is...
    >>

    >Man there are stupid people in this group!

    >Of course a 64bit OS is slower. It has to move twice as much data (64 bits
    >vs. 32 bits) for each clock cycle.

    >A 16 bit OS will run faster and an 8 bit OS will run even faster on the
    >same platform. Going to an OS with a greatwer number of processor bits is
    >not about speed. It is about the command set and capabilities the OS
    >brings to the table including the amount of RAM that can be utilitied.

    Sounds like homeopathy to me. Would a 1 bit computer be the
    fastest possible?

    Mike "how dilute is the instruction set?" Yetto
    In practice they are not.
    Mike Yetto, Jan 4, 2011

  2. Mike Yetto

    RonNNN Guest

    "Mike Yetto" <> wrote in message
    > Joe <a#@#.com> writes and having writ moves on.
    >>Muse Gruppes <> wrote in news:ifu3d5$i4c$1
    >>@speranza.aioe.org:

    >>> Windows 7 32bit runs FASTER on my machine than the 64 bit version did. i
    >>> have 3 gigs of Ram
    >>>
    >>> I wonder why that is...
    >>>

    >>Man there are stupid people in this group!

    >>Of course a 64bit OS is slower. It has to move twice as much data (64
    >>bits
    >>vs. 32 bits) for each clock cycle.

    >>A 16 bit OS will run faster and an 8 bit OS will run even faster on the
    >>same platform. Going to an OS with a greatwer number of processor bits is
    >>not about speed. It is about the command set and capabilities the OS
    >>brings to the table including the amount of RAM that can be utilitied.

    > Sounds like homeopathy to me. Would a 1 bit computer be the
    > fastest possible?

    0=no
    1=yes

    Oh wait, wouldn't that be a "two-bit" processor?
    RonNNN, Jan 5, 2011

  3. On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 23:41:44 -0600, "Jane_Galt"
    <> wrote:

    >"RonNNN" <> wrote :
    >

    >> "Mike Yetto" <> wrote in message
    >>> Joe <a#@#.com> writes and having writ moves on.

    >is
    >>>
    >>> Sounds like homeopathy to me. Would a 1 bit computer be the
    >>> fastest possible?

    >> 0=no
    >> 1=yes
    >>
    >> Oh wait, wouldn't that be a "two-bit" processor?
    >>

    >Ever heard of decimal bit processors? Instead of binary?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burroughs_B2000

    was a cobol oriented processor ... the ADD is performed in decimal as
    well as the decimal memory adressing.
    It was not a "decimal bit prosessor" but a decimal
    oriented/implemented one.
    Raymond Schmit, Jan 6, 2011