Re: Interesting dynamic range inventions

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Nov 8, 2010.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Nov 7, 4:48 pm, Paul Furman <> wrote:
    > http://www.cs.columbia.edu/CAVE/projects/pi_micro/
    > They use a modified DMD (Digital Micromirror Device) projector reversed
    > to project onto the sensor of a camera while tilting the mirrors to
    > modulate exposure so that pixels don't oversaturate and blow out. There
    > are a few more ideas in the links below, one uses an LCD panel as a
    > pixel-by-pixel neutral density filter. I doubt any of this is applicable
    > to consumer photography yet but it's interesting to see what's being
    > explored.

    If anyone ever gets a chance, take a look at a scanning electron
    microscope image of a micromirror device. You think aliens built it.
    Working, precise mechanical parts the size of blood cells and smaller.
    RichA, Nov 8, 2010

  2. RichA

    ScotchBright Guest

    On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 14:14:32 -0800 (PST), RichA <>
    wrote:

    >On Nov 7, 4:48 pm, Paul Furman <> wrote:
    >> http://www.cs.columbia.edu/CAVE/projects/pi_micro/
    >> They use a modified DMD (Digital Micromirror Device) projector reversed
    >> to project onto the sensor of a camera while tilting the mirrors to
    >> modulate exposure so that pixels don't oversaturate and blow out. There
    >> are a few more ideas in the links below, one uses an LCD panel as a
    >> pixel-by-pixel neutral density filter. I doubt any of this is applicable
    >> to consumer photography yet but it's interesting to see what's being
    >> explored.

    >If anyone ever gets a chance, take a look at a scanning electron
    >microscope image of a micromirror device. You think aliens built it.
    >Working, precise mechanical parts the size of blood cells and smaller.

    Don't say that around alien believers. They're idiots. These
    are the people who insist that Velcro, the Microwave, and the
    integrated circuit were all alien inventions; they're lunatics, and
    they'll take that and run with it.
    Never mind that the chemistry that film making involves is in
    many ways more advanced... they won't care.
    ScotchBright, Nov 9, 2010

  3. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    ScotchBright wrote:

    > On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 14:14:32 -0800 (PST), RichA <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >On Nov 7, 4:48 pm, Paul Furman <> wrote:
    > >> http://www.cs.columbia.edu/CAVE/projects/pi_micro/
    > >> They use a modified DMD (Digital Micromirror Device) projector reversed
    > >> to project onto the sensor of a camera while tilting the mirrors to
    > >> modulate exposure so that pixels don't oversaturate and blow out. There
    > >> are a few more ideas in the links below, one uses an LCD panel as a
    > >> pixel-by-pixel neutral density filter. I doubt any of this is applicable
    > >> to consumer photography yet but it's interesting to see what's being
    > >> explored.

    > >If anyone ever gets a chance, take a look at a scanning electron
    > >microscope image of a micromirror device. You think aliens built it.
    > >Working, precise mechanical parts the size of blood cells and smaller.

    > Don't say that around alien believers. They're idiots. These
    > are the people who insist that Velcro, the Microwave, and the
    > integrated circuit were all alien inventions; they're lunatics, and
    > they'll take that and run with it.
    > Never mind that the chemistry that film making involves is in
    > many ways more advanced... they won't care.

    Don't forget the "men in black" or the "mysterious black helicopters,"
    either.

    UFO folklore is such fun!

    --
    Cordially,