Re: Interesting AVG email settings glitch

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Ari©, Apr 7, 2009.

  1. Ari©

    Ari© Guest

    On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 17:49:55 -0800, Gualtier Malde wrote:

    > Greetings -
    >
    > I am using AVG 8 for Internet in a Sager Notebook with Windows 2000. I have AVG
    > set up to check ingoing and outgoing mail.
    >
    > A week ago I was sending out a multiple mailing to 180 members of an
    > organization in 20-address packets. As one of the first packets was sent I
    > received an error message which was completely bizarre, and after that no mail
    > got to its destination. I used an alternate SMTP around AVG and it worked. So
    > the problem was the scanner.
    >
    > I went into Tools>Advanced>Email>Servers>SMTP and at first everything looked
    > fine. On second look, though, the ports after "smtp.<server>.com:2525" had been
    > changed to "smtp.<server>.com:2323". I changed it back and all went ok.
    >
    > So the problem is over, but can anyone explain what might have happened? I'm
    > not very technical but this strikes me as an unusual type of program failure.

    Might not be an error, AVG might have reselected this port for tcp
    before you jammed w/ else you were using (25?). Why would it do this?
    B/c it's a piece of call home shit.

    If an error, yeah, this would be unusual but switched binaries in
    corrupted files is a possibility.
    --
    A fireside chat not with Ari!
    http://tr.im/holj

    Ari©, Apr 7, 2009

  2. Ari©

    Ari© Guest

    On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 09:56:59 -0800, Gualtier Malde wrote:

    >> Might not be an error, AVG might have reselected this port for tcp
    >> before you jammed w/ else you were using (25?). Why would it do this?
    >> B/c it's a piece of call home shit.

    > Maybe, but they continue to support Windows 2000 which I need to continue using.
    > I had been using port 2525 because some asshole with an aol account clicked
    > his "spam" button to delete this newsletter I send to members, and comcast
    > dropped the hammer on me.

    Holy shit, sorry about that.

    Egads!
    --
    A fireside chat not with Ari!
    http://tr.im/holj

    Ari©, Apr 9, 2009

  3. Ari©

    Ari© Guest

    On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 09:56:59 -0800, Gualtier Malde wrote:

    > Ari© wrote:

    >> If an error, yeah, this would be unusual but switched binaries in
    >> corrupted files is a possibility.

    > Probably it will not happen again but the transmitted email was pretty vanilla.
    > Thanks for the reply.

    Go over to alt.comp.freeware and search around, I think you will find
    better alternatives for W2000 that might meet your needs.

    Good luck.
    --
    A fireside chat not with Ari!
    http://tr.im/holj