Re: Intel Centrino?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by DB, Dec 1, 2004.

  1. DB

    DB Guest

    Centrino is Mobile technology, so if you are looking for a new laptop this
    is where you will find it.It has good features where less power consumption
    is the main focus.
    http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3121_7-5023902-1.html

    "D"

    DB, Dec 1, 2004

  2. DB

    DB Guest

    ">> http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3121_7-5023902-1.html
    Hi,did you check out this link I provided earlier? I work for Toshiba and
    all the new Laptops are using Centrino Technology this is technology along
    with the Pentium M
    CNET explains it far better then I can,and they state a good case for
    purchasing Centrino
    Good luck in your decision

    "D"

    DB, Dec 2, 2004

  3. DB

    AG Guest

    "SBFan2000" <> wrote in message
    > Sorry I didn't mean to imply that I was looking for Centrino in a Desktop.
    > I was talking about laptops. Would you buy a P4 over a Centrino or a
    > Centrino over a P4. I'm looking to buy a laptop soon after new years and
    > was planning on a P4 since I'll be authoring DVDs on it.
    >
    > My question was more meant to find the big differences between the two.
    > For
    > instance a P4 (for that matter P3) and a Celeron were no comparison as the
    > Celeron was basically, in my humble opinion, a piece of garbage.
    >
    > Looking for opinions, which would you buy an why?

    OK, I'll admit it I'm cheap. I usually buy laptops used on Ebay or
    elsewhere and fix them up.
    However since I guess you're looking for a new machine that doesn't really
    count but the first thing I'd look at is still price. Next I'd look at what
    you are going to be doing with the laptop. Are you looking for a computer
    to record music on? If so go with a Mac.
    Are you looking for a graphics/movie machine? If you really want to go
    portable look at the video and add lots of RAM.
    If you want to play the latest games then you probably shouldn't go with a
    laptop at all. It can be done but you're going to spend a bunch of money.
    If you just need something to do email, browse the web, write reports and
    such on then go for the best price point you can find. If you can find
    something on clearance at Dell, Toshiba or IBM, to mention just some of the
    possibilities then grab it. IBM often sells computers that have been
    returned for pretty good prices.

    AG

    AG, Dec 2, 2004
  4. DB

    Jamco Guest

    Buy one with a mobile athlon 64 chip. Its got the 1000mzh FSB, and cool and
    quiet. If theres no load on the cpu it slows down, which uses less power,
    and less heat, so the fan can also slow down using less power and less
    noise. Not to mention it will support future 64 bit OS's. Why would you
    even think of getting an Intel chip? So you can pay extra for a sticker
    that says "Intel Inside"?

    Jamco, Dec 3, 2004
  5. DB

    AG Guest

    I usually buy IBM laptops used because I'm familiar with the way they go
    together and there are lots of them around used so I can usually find parts
    for them.

    AG

    AG, Dec 3, 2004
  6. "AG" <> wrote in message
    > I usually buy IBM laptops used because I'm familiar with the way they go
    > together and there are lots of them around used so I can usually find

    parts
    > for them.
    >
    > AG

    Just saw this in another group....

    December 3, 2004

    New York - International Business Machines Corp has put its computer
    business up for sale, the New York Times said Friday, quoting people close
    to negotiations.

    The sale, likely to be in the one-two billion dollar range, is expected to
    include the entire range of desktop, laptop and notebook computers made by
    IBM.

    The company is in serious discussions with Lenovo, China's largest maker
    of personal computers, and at least one other potential buyer for the
    unit, the newspaper's sources said. IBM declined to comment.

    Lenovo was formerly known as Legend.

    The PC business represents about 12 percent of IBM's annual revenues of
    $92 billion (R535 billion). In the latest quarter, IBM ranked third in
    worldwide PC sales with 5.6 percent of the market, according to the
    Gartner research group. - AFP

    http://www.busrep.co.za/index.php?fSectionId=&fArticleId=2332673

    --
    <B0N3H3@D>

    «bonehead;\), Dec 3, 2004
  7. On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 11:44:15 -0500, "ImhoTech" <>
    wrote:

    >"SBFan2000" <> wrote in message
    >> Well, I am cheap. :) But a laptop is one thing that I'm really not
    >> interested in buying off of ebay. I'm thinking I'll probably get a
    >> Toshiba
    >> since they have the widesreen displays with the DVD burners at a good
    >> price.
    >> I'm a fan of Dell laptops but they seem over priced when compared to their
    >> Toshiba counterparts. What brands do you all like? Why?

    >Even after years in the industry, I personally can't quite bring myself to
    >go 'laptop'.
    >BUT, that being said, the Toshibas do seem to have a bit more 'real world'
    >reliability. If I were buying a new laptop, I wouldn't plan on 'self' repair
    >beyond a memory or hard drive swap/upgrade and who probably go with either a
    >Toshiba or Dell. Whoever offered the better warranty in a similar price
    >range.

    When I was in the TV/monitor/etc repair business, I had exactly two
    laptops brought in. One I repaired (it was an electronics-related
    problem, but I forget what, possibly bad connections to the screen now
    that I think about it), the other one I didn't. It was also an
    electronics-related problem, no video, either on the laptop screen or
    on an external monitor. I traced video all over the board, finally to
    an IC that I had no information on, nor could I find any, and it was
    SMT as well. It was a 486/40 M HDD (about 5 years ago), old technology
    even then, and I offered to back up the HDD for a small fee, but they
    declined. I had determined through a dir/s > prn that it had windows
    3.1 or 3.11 and DOS 6.xx. That, too, was old even then. Circuit-level
    laptop repair is likely rare.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Dec 3, 2004
  8. On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 19:15:34 GMT, "«bonehead;\)" <>
    wrote:

    >"AG" <> wrote in message
    >> I usually buy IBM laptops used because I'm familiar with the way they go
    >> together and there are lots of them around used so I can usually find

    >parts
    >> for them.
    >>
    >> AG
    >>

    >Just saw this in another group....
    >
    >December 3, 2004
    >
    >New York - International Business Machines Corp has put its computer
    >business up for sale, the New York Times said Friday, quoting people close
    >to negotiations.

    Wow...

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Dec 3, 2004
  9. DB

    Thumper Guest

    wrote:

    >"SBFan2000" <> wrote in message
    >> Well, I am cheap. :) But a laptop is one thing that I'm really not
    >> interested in buying off of ebay. I'm thinking I'll probably get a
    >> Toshiba
    >> since they have the widesreen displays with the DVD burners at a good
    >> price.
    >> I'm a fan of Dell laptops but they seem over priced when compared to their
    >> Toshiba counterparts. What brands do you all like? Why?

    >Even after years in the industry, I personally can't quite bring myself to
    >go 'laptop'.

    I have to use one at work but would never own one if I didn't have to.
    Thumper
    >BUT, that being said, the Toshibas do seem to have a bit more 'real world'
    >reliability. If I were buying a new laptop, I wouldn't plan on 'self' repair
    >beyond a memory or hard drive swap/upgrade and who probably go with either a
    >Toshiba or Dell. Whoever offered the better warranty in a similar price
    >range.
    >

    >> One thing that seems to confuse/worry me is that the Centrino's seem to be
    >> much slower in speed. If you look in a current dell (or other) catalog
    >> you'll see P4s at 3Ghz+ but on the opposite page you see Centrino's listed
    >> at 1.6 and 1.8Ghz. Now I realize that most people don't use that much
    >> computing power but that doesn't mean I want to go buy a machine that runs
    >> that slow. So far the only thing about Centrino that looks interesting is
    >> the low power consumption and and the higher cache.

    >Don't get hung up too much on the speed, BUT, the whole Centrino thing makes
    >me a bit nervous, its not just the processor, its the processor, the
    >particular chipset, etc etc.
    >
    >Read about it here:
    >
    >http://www.intel.com/products/notebook/processors/index.htm
    >
    >Could be just me being overly nervous about 'new' things, but sounds very
    >much like the "PC-Chips" of laptop technologies.
    >

    >> Anyone know what the FSB on Centino is? How mush memory it can address?
    >> And for that matter why in the world they run so much slower that the P4?
    >> would think Intel would want to go faster not slower!

    >You can get to the specs from the link I posted.
    >
    >-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

    To reply drop XYZ in address

    Thumper, Dec 3, 2004
  10. DB

    Thumper Guest

    wrote:

    >"AG" <> wrote in message
    >> I usually buy IBM laptops used because I'm familiar with the way they go
    >> together and there are lots of them around used so I can usually find

    >parts
    >> for them.
    >>
    >> AG
    >>

    >Just saw this in another group....
    >
    >December 3, 2004
    >
    >New York - International Business Machines Corp has put its computer
    >business up for sale, the New York Times said Friday, quoting people close
    >to negotiations.
    >
    >The sale, likely to be in the one-two billion dollar range, is expected to
    >include the entire range of desktop, laptop and notebook computers made by
    >IBM.
    >
    >The company is in serious discussions with Lenovo, China's largest maker
    >of personal computers, and at least one other potential buyer for the
    >unit, the newspaper's sources said. IBM declined to comment.
    >

    >Lenovo was formerly known as Legend.
    >
    >The PC business represents about 12 percent of IBM's annual revenues of
    >$92 billion (R535 billion). In the latest quarter, IBM ranked third in
    >worldwide PC sales with 5.6 percent of the market, according to the
    >Gartner research group. - AFP
    >

    >http://www.busrep.co.za/index.php?fSectionId=&fArticleId=2332673

    Looks like Dell's business model has won out.
    Thumper
    To reply drop XYZ in address

    Thumper, Dec 3, 2004
  11. On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 16:21:49 -0500, "ImhoTech" <>
    wrote:

    >"Tom MacIntyre" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 11:44:15 -0500, "ImhoTech" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> When I was in the TV/monitor/etc repair business, I had exactly two
    >> laptops brought in. One I repaired (it was an electronics-related
    >> problem, but I forget what, possibly bad connections to the screen now
    >> that I think about it), the other one I didn't. It was also an
    >> electronics-related problem, no video, either on the laptop screen or
    >> on an external monitor. I traced video all over the board, finally to
    >> an IC that I had no information on, nor could I find any, and it was
    >> SMT as well. It was a 486/40 M HDD (about 5 years ago), old technology
    >> even then, and I offered to back up the HDD for a small fee, but they
    >> declined. I had determined through a dir/s > prn that it had windows
    >> 3.1 or 3.11 and DOS 6.xx. That, too, was old even then. Circuit-level
    >> laptop repair is likely rare.
    >>
    >> Tom

    >That sort of thing is part of my hesitation. Ive always built my computers,
    >except for the 'brand names' I picked up because they broken, which I then
    >repaired. Not because of any geek-snobbery 'I can build them better'
    >attitude, but simply because had I waited for full purchase price economics,
    >I probably never would have gotten very far involved in IT at all. Being
    >able to fix and 'frankenstein' systems together was how I got started and
    >what keeps computers available for my personal use.
    > So unless I run across a big pile of surplus laptops, I'll probably never
    >muck about with a used laptop.

    I had the old Frankenstein computer experience early as well, and one
    of my earliest electronics experinces in the workplace was going
    through a bunch of Telidon (Teledon? never can remember the spelling
    for that Canadian videotex technology from the early 80's) units,
    swapping boards until I got as many working as I could.

    Circuit-level troubleshooting is a rush. I built my first radio when I
    was 9 or 10, and still remember the first nice bite I got when I
    touched the wrong spot the first time I took my Fender Super (1958
    vintage) guitar apart. Things have to change, I guess. Sigh...

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Dec 3, 2004
  12. On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 21:28:00 GMT, Thumper <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 19:15:34 GMT, "«bonehead;\)" <>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>"AG" <> wrote in message
    >>> I usually buy IBM laptops used because I'm familiar with the way they go
    >>> together and there are lots of them around used so I can usually find

    >>parts
    >>> for them.
    >>>
    >>> AG
    >>>

    >>Just saw this in another group....
    >>
    >>December 3, 2004
    >>
    >>New York - International Business Machines Corp has put its computer
    >>business up for sale, the New York Times said Friday, quoting people close
    >>to negotiations.
    >>
    >>The sale, likely to be in the one-two billion dollar range, is expected to
    >>include the entire range of desktop, laptop and notebook computers made by
    >>IBM.
    >>
    >>The company is in serious discussions with Lenovo, China's largest maker
    >>of personal computers, and at least one other potential buyer for the
    >>unit, the newspaper's sources said. IBM declined to comment.
    >>

    >>Lenovo was formerly known as Legend.
    >>
    >>The PC business represents about 12 percent of IBM's annual revenues of
    >>$92 billion (R535 billion). In the latest quarter, IBM ranked third in
    >>worldwide PC sales with 5.6 percent of the market, according to the
    >>Gartner research group. - AFP
    >>

    >>http://www.busrep.co.za/index.php?fSectionId=&fArticleId=2332673

    >Looks like Dell's business model has won out.
    >Thumper
    >To reply drop XYZ in address

    I can't believe how inexpensive Dell's computers are.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Dec 3, 2004
  13. DB

    Jamco Guest

    Yes unfortunately dell doesn't make any amd based systems :(
    I know what you mean the rating system is stupid, but hey intel's doing it
    now with there latest cpu's so what can you do?
    Athlon 64's run cooler then Pentium 4's.
    My athlon 64 (3200+), runs at around 38C with no load on the system, and is
    whisper quiet. Thats with the factory heatsync and fan by the way.

    Check this out about P4 3.6ghz model "560" chip heat problems
    http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041114/index.html

    Heres an article, from toms hardware, pentium 4 vs athlon 64. Kind of
    enlightening

    http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041019/index.html

    Good luck with your laptop, and I would agree, compaq/HP suck.

    Jamco, Dec 3, 2004
  14. DB

    Thumper Guest

    On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 22:08:10 GMT, Tom MacIntyre
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 21:28:00 GMT, Thumper <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 19:15:34 GMT, "«bonehead;\)" <>
    >>wrote:
    >>

    >>>"AG" <> wrote in message
    >>>parts

    >>>Just saw this in another group....
    >>>
    >>>December 3, 2004
    >>>
    >>>New York - International Business Machines Corp has put its computer
    >>>business up for sale, the New York Times said Friday, quoting people close
    >>>to negotiations.
    >>>
    >>>The sale, likely to be in the one-two billion dollar range, is expected to
    >>>include the entire range of desktop, laptop and notebook computers made by
    >>>IBM.
    >>>
    >>>The company is in serious discussions with Lenovo, China's largest maker
    >>>of personal computers, and at least one other potential buyer for the
    >>>unit, the newspaper's sources said. IBM declined to comment.
    >>>

    >>>Lenovo was formerly known as Legend.
    >>>
    >>>The PC business represents about 12 percent of IBM's annual revenues of
    >>>$92 billion (R535 billion). In the latest quarter, IBM ranked third in
    >>>worldwide PC sales with 5.6 percent of the market, according to the
    >>>Gartner research group. - AFP
    >>>

    >>>http://www.busrep.co.za/index.php?fSectionId=&fArticleId=2332673

    >>Looks like Dell's business model has won out.
    >>Thumper
    >>To reply drop XYZ in address

    >I can't believe how inexpensive Dell's computers are.
    >
    >Tom

    They really had to come down to compete. Most home users seem to be
    buying stuff like Emachines, gateway, and such. I work for AT&T and
    we buy Dells now. We used to buy HPs.
    Thumper
    To reply drop XYZ in address

    Thumper, Dec 4, 2004
  15. DB

    JimWae± Guest

    If you expect to be using the battery most of the time (& so need to extend
    battery life), the Centrino is what you need
    If you will be able to plug-in most of the time, I am less convinced that
    Centrino would be better.

    JimWae±, Dec 4, 2004
  16. DB

    AG Guest

    "ImhoTech" <> wrote in message

    > So unless I run across a big pile of surplus laptops, I'll probably never
    > muck about with a used laptop.

    Believe it or not that's exactly what I've done a couple of times. I buy 3
    or 4 of the same model and piece them together till I have a working system.

    AG

    AG, Dec 6, 2004