Re: Intel, another nail in Vista's coffin....

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by impossible, Jun 24, 2008.

  1. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote in message
    > Bobs wrote:
    >> Brian Mathews wrote:

    >>> Very much so.

    > Apple certainly at one stage was buying all the high end new Xeons Intel
    > could make...

    >>> It sound like you are using VISTA Crap, many many Big Corporate firms
    >>> in the US will not touch it
    >>> with a barge poll.

    >> Thanks for that telling argument there, Brian. "VISTA Crap"....well you
    >> convinced me.

    > Talking to Enterprise class vendors lots say no one is touching Vista...in
    > the Enterprise space. Ma and Pa business may not have much choice but the
    > bigger ones are saying it makes no business sense...

    So they stay with XP -- that makes a lot of sense. In any case, there is
    zero evidence that discontent with Vista is leading anyone to abandon
    Windows. Your gossip-mongering is pointless.

    impossible, Jun 24, 2008

  2. impossible

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "thing" typed:
    > impossible wrote:
    >> "thingy" <> wrote in message

    >>> Apple certainly at one stage was buying all the high end new Xeons
    >>> Intel could make...

    >>> Talking to Enterprise class vendors lots say no one is touching
    >>> Vista...in the Enterprise space. Ma and Pa business may not have
    >>> much choice but the bigger ones are saying it makes no business
    >>> sense...

    >> So they stay with XP -- that makes a lot of sense. In any case,
    >> there is zero evidence that discontent with Vista is leading anyone
    >> to abandon Windows. Your gossip-mongering is pointless.
    >>

    > I didnt say they were abandoning windows....I said they were not
    > shifting to Vista.

    LOL, don't expect straight discussion from "impossible". Everything is
    twisted there, that's a prime example above of reading whilst biased. (I'm
    being kind, "confused" is probably a more accurate term than "biased".)
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jun 24, 2008

  3. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "thing" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >> "thingy" <> wrote in message

    >>> Apple certainly at one stage was buying all the high end new Xeons Intel
    >>> could make...

    >>> Talking to Enterprise class vendors lots say no one is touching
    >>> Vista...in the Enterprise space. Ma and Pa business may not have much
    >>> choice but the bigger ones are saying it makes no business sense...
    >>>

    >> So they stay with XP -- that makes a lot of sense. In any case, there is
    >> zero evidence that discontent with Vista is leading anyone to abandon
    >> Windows. Your gossip-mongering is pointless.

    > I didnt say they were abandoning windows....I said they were not shifting
    > to Vista.

    So why did you circulate that Inquirer flame-bait then? You certainly know
    that this rag grasps for any gossip to make its ideological case that
    Microsoft and Windows are doomed. If you disagree, yoiu should make that
    clear.

    impossible, Jun 24, 2008
  4. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "thing" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >> "thing" <> wrote in message

    >>> I didnt say they were abandoning windows....I said they were not
    >>> shifting to Vista.
    >>>

    >> So why did you circulate that Inquirer flame-bait then? You certainly
    >> know that this rag grasps for any gossip to make its ideological case
    >> that Microsoft and Windows are doomed. If you disagree, yoiu should make
    >> that clear.

    > I did, in the heading....I didnt say XP users migrating to MAC/Linux....I
    > said Intel yet another major corp. not going to Vista..
    >
    > Considering the love fest that is Wintel, that is a point worth pointing
    > out.

    It's still a love fest. Without Windows, Intel is just another chip
    manufacturer -- and AMD probably doesn't even exist. Whether Intel decides
    to upgrade its own desktops to Vista now or "Windows 7" later is an
    irrelevant bit of specualtion that is the stock-in-trade of rags like the
    Inquirer. Think about it: Did you actually read "the memo" they claim is the
    source of their information? Of course you didn't, because they didn't
    publish it -- not even a single solitary quote. Circulating their stuff is
    as bad as circulating spam -- maybe just a little less informative.

    impossible, Jun 25, 2008
  5. In article <4860a258$>, thing did write:

    > I didnt say they were abandoning windows....I said they were not
    > shifting to Vista.

    They must be abandoning Windows. How else to explain the growing gap between
    Dimdows sales and PC sales?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 25, 2008
  6. impossible

    Will Spencer Guest

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 23:50:14 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In article <4860a258$>, thing did write:
    >
    >> I didnt say they were abandoning windows....I said they were not
    >> shifting to Vista.

    > They must be abandoning Windows. How else to explain the growing gap between
    > Dimdows sales and PC sales?

    Baaah! I'm embarassed to admit I'm having to use Linux for one of my
    projects. I can't wait to start complaining about Linux problems in the
    news groups. Stay tuned!

    -ws

    Will Spencer, Jun 25, 2008
  7. impossible

    biggles Guest

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 01:11:55 +1200, Will Spencer wrote:

    > On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 23:50:14 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In article <4860a258$>, thing did write:
    >>
    >>> I didnt say they were abandoning windows....I said they were not
    >>> shifting to Vista.

    >> They must be abandoning Windows. How else to explain the growing gap
    >> between Dimdows sales and PC sales?

    > Baaah! I'm embarassed to admit I'm having to use Linux for one of my
    > projects. I can't wait to start complaining about Linux problems in the
    > news groups. Stay tuned!
    >
    > -ws

    try suse 11

    Man what a fucking cock up ..

    reiser file corruption.

    beagle file system corruption.

    usual nvidia driver installation mess.

    KDE4 = shouldnt have seen daylight for another 18 mnths at least

    vmware server runs like crap on this.

    gnome version runs like well crap on my quad core system .

    pulse audio = another half baked mess.

    fonts = still the same crappy dot matrix fonts .. i have to fix that
    later

    I nearly went back to 10.3 but couldnt stand the thought of that fecking
    slow package manager

    If you thought vista was bad .... wait till ya try this out

    biggles

    biggles, Jun 27, 2008
  8. impossible

    Will Spencer Guest

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 09:50:58 +0200 (CEST), biggles wrote:

    > On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 01:11:55 +1200, Will Spencer wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 23:50:14 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> In article <4860a258$>, thing did write:

    >>> They must be abandoning Windows. How else to explain the growing gap
    >>> between Dimdows sales and PC sales?

    >> Baaah! I'm embarassed to admit I'm having to use Linux for one of my
    >> projects. I can't wait to start complaining about Linux problems in the
    >> news groups. Stay tuned!
    >>
    >> -ws

    > try suse 11
    >

    > Man what a fucking cock up ..
    >
    > reiser file corruption.
    >
    > beagle file system corruption.
    >
    > usual nvidia driver installation mess.
    >
    > KDE4 = shouldnt have seen daylight for another 18 mnths at least
    >
    > vmware server runs like crap on this.
    >
    > gnome version runs like well crap on my quad core system .
    >
    > pulse audio = another half baked mess.
    >
    > fonts = still the same crappy dot matrix fonts .. i have to fix that
    > later
    >
    > I nearly went back to 10.3 but couldnt stand the thought of that fecking
    > slow package manager
    >
    > If you thought vista was bad .... wait till ya try this out
    >
    > biggles

    I used to use KDE 2 in preference to Gnome a few years ago. But I have to
    laugh at your list of issues. Brings back bad memories. But I also had
    problems with kernels where networking features I compiled into the kernel
    didn't work properly and what not. Pfft! Anyway, I'll look into Suse.

    -ws

    Will Spencer, Jun 28, 2008
  9. impossible

    Enkidu Guest

    Will Spencer wrote:
    > On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 09:50:58 +0200 (CEST), biggles wrote:

    >>> Baaah! I'm embarassed to admit I'm having to use Linux for one of my
    >>> projects. I can't wait to start complaining about Linux problems in the
    >>> news groups. Stay tuned!
    >>>
    >>> -ws

    >> try suse 11
    >>

    >> Man what a fucking cock up ..
    >>
    >> reiser file corruption.
    >>
    >> beagle file system corruption.
    >>
    >> usual nvidia driver installation mess.
    >>
    >> KDE4 = shouldnt have seen daylight for another 18 mnths at least
    >>
    >> vmware server runs like crap on this.
    >>
    >> gnome version runs like well crap on my quad core system .
    >>
    >> pulse audio = another half baked mess.
    >>
    >> fonts = still the same crappy dot matrix fonts .. i have to fix that
    >> later
    >>
    >> I nearly went back to 10.3 but couldnt stand the thought of that fecking
    >> slow package manager
    >>
    >> If you thought vista was bad .... wait till ya try this out
    >>
    >> biggles

    > I used to use KDE 2 in preference to Gnome a few years ago. But I have to
    > laugh at your list of issues. Brings back bad memories. But I also had
    > problems with kernels where networking features I compiled into the kernel
    > didn't work properly and what not. Pfft! Anyway, I'll look into Suse.

    I wouldn't. Of all the distros I have tried it was the slowest by far.
    Almost as slow as Slowlaris (though to be fair I ran Solaris on an
    underspecced machine). RH and Debian run at similar speeds. Ubuntu is
    OK, but not snappy. The others I did not have long enough to make speed
    comparisons or were cut down versions.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Jun 28, 2008
  10. impossible

    Will Spencer Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 12:15:20 +1200, Enkidu wrote:

    > Will Spencer wrote:

    >>> try suse 11
    >>>

    >>> Man what a fucking cock up ..
    >>>
    >>> reiser file corruption.
    >>>
    >>> beagle file system corruption.
    >>>
    >>> usual nvidia driver installation mess.
    >>>
    >>> KDE4 = shouldnt have seen daylight for another 18 mnths at least
    >>>
    >>> vmware server runs like crap on this.
    >>>
    >>> gnome version runs like well crap on my quad core system .
    >>>
    >>> pulse audio = another half baked mess.
    >>>
    >>> fonts = still the same crappy dot matrix fonts .. i have to fix that
    >>> later
    >>>
    >>> I nearly went back to 10.3 but couldnt stand the thought of that fecking
    >>> slow package manager
    >>>
    >>> If you thought vista was bad .... wait till ya try this out
    >>>
    >>> biggles

    >> I used to use KDE 2 in preference to Gnome a few years ago. But I have to
    >> laugh at your list of issues. Brings back bad memories. But I also had
    >> problems with kernels where networking features I compiled into the kernel
    >> didn't work properly and what not. Pfft! Anyway, I'll look into Suse.
    >>

    > I wouldn't. Of all the distros I have tried it was the slowest by far.
    > Almost as slow as Slowlaris (though to be fair I ran Solaris on an
    > underspecced machine). RH and Debian run at similar speeds. Ubuntu is
    > OK, but not snappy. The others I did not have long enough to make speed
    > comparisons or were cut down versions.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Ok thanks.

    I'm allso looking at MySQL as an alternative to SQL Express for some of my
    anti MS customers. But I notice it has a GUI management system now and a
    beta Visual Studio 2008 data connector. Neato!

    Anyone here use mySQL on Linux or Windows, what do you think of it?

    -ws

    -ws

    Will Spencer, Jun 28, 2008
  11. impossible

    Will Spencer Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 12:47:51 +1200, Bret wrote:

    > On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 12:28:20 +1200, Will Spencer wrote:

    >>> I wouldn't. Of all the distros I have tried it was the slowest by far.
    >>> Almost as slow as Slowlaris (though to be fair I ran Solaris on an
    >>> underspecced machine). RH and Debian run at similar speeds. Ubuntu is
    >>> OK, but not snappy. The others I did not have long enough to make speed
    >>> comparisons or were cut down versions.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,
    >>>
    >>> Cliff

    >> Ok thanks.
    >>
    >> I'm allso looking at MySQL as an alternative to SQL Express for some of my
    >> anti MS customers.

    > Not able to convince them of their stupidity Will, not effective in the
    > real world?

    Oh contrare, I take it as a compliment that the non-micorosft using world
    often uses a Windows developer (me) for a solution.

    -ws

    Will Spencer, Jun 28, 2008
  12. impossible

    Enkidu Guest

    Will Spencer wrote:
    > On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 12:15:20 +1200, Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >> Will Spencer wrote:

    >>> I used to use KDE 2 in preference to Gnome a few years ago. But I have to
    >>> laugh at your list of issues. Brings back bad memories. But I also had
    >>> problems with kernels where networking features I compiled into the kernel
    >>> didn't work properly and what not. Pfft! Anyway, I'll look into Suse.
    >>>

    >> I wouldn't. Of all the distros I have tried it was the slowest by far.
    >> Almost as slow as Slowlaris (though to be fair I ran Solaris on an
    >> underspecced machine). RH and Debian run at similar speeds. Ubuntu is
    >> OK, but not snappy. The others I did not have long enough to make speed
    >> comparisons or were cut down versions.

    > Ok thanks.
    >
    > I'm allso looking at MySQL as an alternative to SQL Express for some of my
    > anti MS customers. But I notice it has a GUI management system now and a
    > beta Visual Studio 2008 data connector. Neato!
    >
    > Anyone here use mySQL on Linux or Windows, what do you think of it?

    I'd (cautiously) suggest PostgreSQL rather than MySQL. Cautiously,
    because you don't say what you will be doing with it. PostgreSQL is a
    full-bored industrial level DB system and MySQL is reasonable, pretty
    good DB system that will never be at the 'industrial' level in spite of
    its enthusiasts.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?