Re: Instead of The 50D

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Sep 21, 2008.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Sep 21, 12:51 am, "Paul" <> wrote:
    > Just been reading through some previews on the Canon 5D II and the 50D and
    > it occurred to me that instead of releasing the 50D, I think a smaller
    > version of the 1D III would have gone down better.
    >
    > I think that there are a lot of people who would have liked something
    > between the 40D and the 1D III.  The 5D II is more of a studio/landscape
    > cam, so doesn't really fit.  The 1D III is a good bit of kit, but is too big
    > and bulky and a bit too pricy, but a smaller version of it would be pretty
    > spot on.

    I'm curious to see what happens when some nutcases try to run the FF
    sensor for 15 minutes of video...Unless Canon has some kind of auto-
    shutoff mechanism in it.
    But I'm sure companies like Sandisk and Lexar are very happy about
    video in DSLRs.
    RichA, Sep 21, 2008

  2. RichA

    nospam Guest

    In article
    <>,
    RichA <> wrote:

    > I'm curious to see what happens when some nutcases try to run the FF
    > sensor for 15 minutes of video...Unless Canon has some kind of auto-
    > shutoff mechanism in it.

    what for? the sensor doesn't get signifiantly warm.
    nospam, Sep 24, 2008

  3. RichA

    Paul Furman Guest

    nospam wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    > RichA <> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm curious to see what happens when some nutcases try to run the FF
    >> sensor for 15 minutes of video...Unless Canon has some kind of auto-
    >> shutoff mechanism in it.

    > what for? the sensor doesn't get signifiantly warm.

    The processor probably does, that's a lot of raw conversions for the
    poor camera to do, imagine how your computer would wheeze if you asked
    it to do 30 raw files a second for 15 minutes.

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Oct 10, 2008
  4. RichA

    nospam Guest

    In article <iKAHk.3033$>, Paul Furman
    <> wrote:

    > >> I'm curious to see what happens when some nutcases try to run the FF
    > >> sensor for 15 minutes of video...Unless Canon has some kind of auto-
    > >> shutoff mechanism in it.

    > > what for? the sensor doesn't get signifiantly warm.

    > The processor probably does, that's a lot of raw conversions for the
    > poor camera to do, imagine how your computer would wheeze if you asked
    > it to do 30 raw files a second for 15 minutes.

    right, the processor may get warm, but unless it's near the sensor, it
    shouldn't have much of an effect on the image quality.
    nospam, Oct 10, 2008
  5. RichA

    J. Clarke Guest

    Paul Furman wrote:
    > nospam wrote:
    >> In article
    >> <>,
    >> RichA <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm curious to see what happens when some nutcases try to run the
    >>> FF
    >>> sensor for 15 minutes of video...Unless Canon has some kind of
    >>> auto-
    >>> shutoff mechanism in it.

    >> what for? the sensor doesn't get signifiantly warm.

    > The processor probably does, that's a lot of raw conversions for the
    > poor camera to do, imagine how your computer would wheeze if you
    > asked
    > it to do 30 raw files a second for 15 minutes.

    But your computer is not using dedicated hardware made for the
    purpose.

    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
    J. Clarke, Oct 10, 2008
  6. ["Followup-To:" header set to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems.]
    Paul Furman <> wrote:
    > nospam wrote:
    >> what for? the sensor doesn't get signifiantly warm.

    > The processor probably does, that's a lot of raw conversions for the
    > poor camera to do, imagine how your computer would wheeze if you asked
    > it to do 30 raw files a second for 15 minutes.

    60MPix/s isn't *that* much, and certainly not for dedicated hardware.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Oct 10, 2008