Re Installing XP ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Jan 10, 2009.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello,

    HD completely messed up, and as I have most everything pretty well backed
    up, am thinking of doing a re-install of XP. PC is essentially unusable, so
    probably have nothing to lose.

    Have the original XP disk that came with the Dell PC that they included.

    Will it work probably for this second installation, or is the installation
    disk coded somehow for only one installation ?

    Are these disks coded to the PC they were intended for ?

    I guess if I do the re-install, it will automatically re-format the HD ?
    Is this true, or are there things I should. or have to, do prior to running
    the installation disk ?

    Any hints, or caveats to be aware of, in doing a re-installation would be
    appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, Jan 10, 2009

  2. Robert11

    D@Z Guest

    "Robert11" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > HD completely messed up, and as I have most everything pretty well backed
    > up, am thinking of doing a re-install of XP. PC is essentially unusable,
    > so probably have nothing to lose.
    >
    > Have the original XP disk that came with the Dell PC that they included.
    >
    > Will it work probably for this second installation, or is the installation
    > disk coded somehow for only one installation ?
    >
    > Are these disks coded to the PC they were intended for ?
    >
    > I guess if I do the re-install, it will automatically re-format the HD ?
    > Is this true, or are there things I should. or have to, do prior to
    > running the installation disk ?
    >
    > Any hints, or caveats to be aware of, in doing a re-installation would be
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    try here

    http://ezinearticles.com/?Formatting,-And/or-Re-installing-Windows-on-a-Dell-PC&id=70466

    Google first hit.

    D@Z, Jan 10, 2009

  3. Robert11

    lugnut Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 08:23:29 -0500, "Robert11" <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >HD completely messed up, and as I have most everything pretty well backed
    >up, am thinking of doing a re-install of XP. PC is essentially unusable, so
    >probably have nothing to lose.
    >
    >Have the original XP disk that came with the Dell PC that they included.
    >
    >Will it work probably for this second installation, or is the installation
    >disk coded somehow for only one installation ?
    >
    >Are these disks coded to the PC they were intended for ?
    >
    >I guess if I do the re-install, it will automatically re-format the HD ?
    >Is this true, or are there things I should. or have to, do prior to running
    >the installation disk ?
    >
    >Any hints, or caveats to be aware of, in doing a re-installation would be
    >appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Bob

    If you need to keep or maintain anything on the machine, you may want to
    consider doing a repair install instead of a format/clean install. A repeir
    install will restore the operating system whereas a format will overwrite and
    destroy everything currently on the drive. Another option you have on the Dell
    in most cases is to let the machine do an image restore if you have not
    destroyed the hidden restore partition. With that, you will have the machine
    back to it's new condition complete with all the junk trial software. My
    machines are considerable tuned and adapted to my needs and losing any data is
    not an option. On those machines, a repair install is the only option for me.
    I will have already made every effort to recover in place. For me, a
    format/clean install comes only as a last resort after any data that can be
    recovered is stored away safely on another hard drive. Also, keep in mind you
    will need the currently installed product key to do a full format/install.
    There are several utilities around that can recover all of your software keys
    before you start. Belarc Advisor is a decent one. There are several other free
    ones. For some reason, the installed keys in Dell machines does not always
    match the one on the case decal. If this is the case, it is not likely the key
    on the case will work. When you do a format, the installed key data will be
    destroyed along with everything else making a good key very necessary to do a
    new install after a format.

    All that said, you should do some research on the howto's and ramifications for
    each scenario. If you do end up doing a format and yours key(s) won't work, you
    may have to make a call to MS to get the key from the case decal installed.
    Also, If you machine boots from a SATA harddrive, you will need the drivers for
    it and know how to install them before you will be able to get a clean
    format/install up and running. In other words, you can turn the machine into a
    doorstop until you get the drivers working. You seeing that from someone who
    has made most if not all of these mistakes. Learned a little while killing a
    lot of time getting it right.

    Lugnut

    lugnut, Jan 10, 2009
  4. Robert11

    elaich Guest

    lugnut <> wrote in

    > With that, you will have the machine
    > back to it's new condition complete with all the junk trial software.

    My buddy just tried this and found himself back to XP Service Pack 1.

    elaich, Jan 11, 2009
  5. Robert11

    PeeCee Guest

    "Robert11" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > HD completely messed up, and as I have most everything pretty well backed
    > up, am thinking of doing a re-install of XP. PC is essentially unusable,
    > so probably have nothing to lose.
    >
    > Have the original XP disk that came with the Dell PC that they included.
    >
    > Will it work probably for this second installation, or is the installation
    > disk coded somehow for only one installation ?
    >
    > Are these disks coded to the PC they were intended for ?
    >
    > I guess if I do the re-install, it will automatically re-format the HD ?
    > Is this true, or are there things I should. or have to, do prior to
    > running the installation disk ?
    >
    > Any hints, or caveats to be aware of, in doing a re-installation would be
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    Bob

    1 Most folk need to backup: My Documents, Favourites, AddressBook, Emails
    and Desktop, only you know if there are files in other locations you want to
    save.
    I f you are unsure use a drive copy program and Image the drive.
    A 2.5" USB powered external hard drive is ideal for this sort of backup
    task.
    Google should produce a suitable program (DriveImageXML comes to mind)

    2 The restore disk that came with your Dell can be used as many times as
    required.
    Being pre activated you won't have any problems with needing to connect to
    the net either so you can do your restore 'disconnected' from the net for
    safety.

    3 A lot of restore disks provided by big OEMs (HP/Compaq, Dell, IBM etc) are
    locked to the model of PC they were supplied with.
    Others have reported using Dell XP system disks on other hardware without
    problem.
    But in your case restoring to the original PC means it should be ok.

    4 In most cases the 'Restore' process returns your PC to the state it was
    the day you opened the box.
    So yes you hard drive is likely to be formatted (cleaned off, wiped, zapped)
    hence the suggestion to image your drive in #1

    5 If you have all the DELL disks then you shouldn't have to pre download
    drivers.
    You will have to have the drivers to hand for any new hardware you have
    added to the PC since purchase though.

    6 You will have to download and install all the service packs and patches
    issued for XP since your PC was made.
    As someone else posted this could be as far back as service pack 1.
    Predownloading SP2 & SP3 may be a sensible move if your PC originally came
    with SP1 as this version is very vunerable to online Virus attack and can be
    compromised in 10 minutes which is less time than you need to download SP3.

    7 The AntiVirus (probably Norton) will of course be the 'old' version and
    only have 60-90 days of updates so make sure you have the install files and
    key for any newer versions you have downloaded.
    If it is Norton be prepared to download up to 40MB of updates as soon as it
    connects to the net.

    8 Start the restore at a time when you can tend to other chores while you
    wait for the installs to complete.

    9 Dig out all the software CD's you have installed since buying the PC.

    Best luck
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jan 11, 2009
  6. Robert11

    Charlie Guest

    "Robert11" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > HD completely messed up, and as I have most everything pretty well backed
    > up, am thinking of doing a re-install of XP. PC is essentially unusable,
    > so probably have nothing to lose.
    >
    > Have the original XP disk that came with the Dell PC that they included.
    >
    > Will it work probably for this second installation, or is the installation
    > disk coded somehow for only one installation ?
    >
    > Are these disks coded to the PC they were intended for ?
    >
    > I guess if I do the re-install, it will automatically re-format the HD ?
    > Is this true, or are there things I should. or have to, do prior to
    > running the installation disk ?
    >
    > Any hints, or caveats to be aware of, in doing a re-installation would be
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    It depends what you mean by "completely messed up".

    Before you go off the deep end, if there was a time when all was well a
    month or so ago, go to "System Restore" and try restoring back to a check
    point when all was well. If it works it will save you a lot of work. If it
    doesn't all you have done is wasted 15 minutes or so.

    Charlie

    Charlie, Jan 13, 2009