    machine now takes 3 minutes to boot up and there are many crashes. Would
    98Se be a better option? How do I ensure all my emails are saved from OE6?
    Machine is PIII 450, 13GB HDD (remove Z's from address if replying direct)

    John, Jan 25, 2004

  2. "John" <> wrote in message
    news:V5MQb.80$...
    > I need some basic advice on how to go about re-installing Windows98. My
    > machine now takes 3 minutes to boot up and there are many crashes. Would
    > 98Se be a better option? How do I ensure all my emails are saved from OE6?
    > Machine is PIII 450, 13GB HDD (remove Z's from address if replying direct)
    >
    > -

    e-mail are stored in files that end .dbx so if you back up all the files on
    your computer called *.dbx having done a search in find files or folders. It
    is possible to reinstall them as well. I suggest you do a Google search on
    how to do that as there are a few steps involved.

    The best way to reinstall Windows is first to back up everything you want to
    keep including your IE favourites and e-mail. Then you have to format your
    hard disk to erase all the data. You need a Windows startup disk to do this.
    Then reinstall Windows. Win 98SE is one of the better incarnations of
    Windows. It has USB support for example and is fairly stable. Better than
    Win ME from what I hear. A Google search will give you loads of info on that
    as well. I still use Win 98 SE on both my PCs even though the hardware has
    been vastly upgraded. XP won't be good on your PC but is very good with the
    right hardware I'm told.

    Windows apparently needs to reinstalled about once a year and as your PC is
    4 years old approx you haven't done it for a while perhaps. Have you thought
    about upgrading your hardware? You could get a much more powerful new or
    used PC for not very much these days and network the two together. This has
    many advantages. HTH.

    Bryan Henderson, Jan 25, 2004

  3. John

    Sano Guest

    98SE is a good option. But you'd have to purchase it, it's not a free
    upgrade, or anything. <g>

    - "John" <> - spluttered in

    Sano, Jan 25, 2004