Re-installing windows

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Ferg, Nov 22, 2004.

  1. Ferg

    Ferg Guest

    OK.

    So I have two HDDs The first, larger, has three partitions. Two NTFS and
    one Fat32 with I386 on it.
    The first NTFS partition has my WINXP OS installed on it. The second NTFS
    has all my data.

    The second HDD has one Fat32 partition and a linux partition.

    I can see and copy to and from the fat32 partition on the second HDD but
    partition magic calls the whole HDD "BAD".

    I want to know the best way to completely delete everything on the first
    NTFS partition on HDD and re-install WinXP.

    I also want to know how to delete the linux partition and Make the whole
    second HDD into either Fat32 or NTFS.

    Any ideas?

    Ferg

    Ferg, Nov 22, 2004

  2. Ferg

    Howard Guest

    Ferg wrote:

    > I want to know the best way to completely delete everything on the
    > first NTFS partition on HDD and re-install WinXP.
    >
    > I also want to know how to delete the linux partition and Make the
    > whole second HDD into either Fat32 or NTFS.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Use knoppix which has qtparted (a partionmagic clone) on it and
    you'll be able to do what what you want with a point and click
    interface. It won't help much with re-installing XP though. ;-)

    HTH
    -H

    Howard, Nov 23, 2004

  3. Ferg

    impossible Guest

    "Ferg" <garblednonsense> wrote in message news:41a16b4c_4@127.0.0.1...
    > OK.
    >

    > So I have two HDDs The first, larger, has three partitions. Two NTFS and
    > one Fat32 with I386 on it.
    > The first NTFS partition has my WINXP OS installed on it. The second NTFS
    > has all my data.
    >
    > The second HDD has one Fat32 partition and a linux partition.
    >
    > I can see and copy to and from the fat32 partition on the second HDD but
    > partition magic calls the whole HDD "BAD".
    >
    > I want to know the best way to completely delete everything on the first
    > NTFS partition on HDD and re-install WinXP.
    >
    > I also want to know how to delete the linux partition and Make the whole
    > second HDD into either Fat32 or NTFS.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    You can delete the Linux partition from WinXP's storage manager. Just
    rightclick the partition and choose delete. Afterwards, recreate it and
    format it FAT32 or NTFS or whatever you prefer.

    As for re-installing XP, just insert your installation CD, bypass the repair
    option and select the partition you want to do a new installation into.
    Windows will give you the option at that point to reformat, which you should
    accept, and then you're away.

    impossible, Nov 23, 2004
  4. Ferg

    Alex Axolotl Guest

    impossible wrote:
    > "Ferg" <garblednonsense> wrote in message news:41a16b4c_4@127.0.0.1...
    >
    >>OK.
    >>

    >>So I have two HDDs The first, larger, has three partitions. Two NTFS and
    >>one Fat32 with I386 on it.
    >>The first NTFS partition has my WINXP OS installed on it. The second NTFS
    >>has all my data.
    >>
    >>The second HDD has one Fat32 partition and a linux partition.
    >>
    >>I can see and copy to and from the fat32 partition on the second HDD but
    >>partition magic calls the whole HDD "BAD".
    >>
    >>I want to know the best way to completely delete everything on the first
    >>NTFS partition on HDD and re-install WinXP.
    >>
    >>I also want to know how to delete the linux partition and Make the whole
    >>second HDD into either Fat32 or NTFS.
    >>
    >>Any ideas?
    >>

    > You can delete the Linux partition from WinXP's storage manager. Just
    > rightclick the partition and choose delete. Afterwards, recreate it and
    > format it FAT32 or NTFS or whatever you prefer.

    How to get there.
    Control Panel
    Computer Management
    Storage
    Disk Management

    Alex Axolotl, Nov 23, 2004
  5. Ferg

    bambam Guest

    Alex Axolotl <> wrote in

    >> You can delete the Linux partition from WinXP's storage manager.
    >> Just rightclick the partition and choose delete. Afterwards,
    >> recreate it and format it FAT32 or NTFS or whatever you prefer.
    >>

    > How to get there.
    > Control Panel
    > Computer Management
    > Storage
    > Disk Management

    Or
    Right click My Computer
    Manage
    Disk Management

    --
    If Guys Ruled the World............
    Valentine's Day would be moved to 29th February so it would only

    bambam, Nov 23, 2004