re-installing windows XP Pro in the hard drive

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Amanda, Sep 8, 2006.

  1. Amanda

    Amanda Guest

    Hi

    When I replaced the hard drive in my PC, I made a mistake of setting
    the master using the configuration for LBA and so only 32GB was seen -
    The hard drive is 80GB. . I had windows installed that way and 2 12/
    weeks ago, I tried to redo the whole thing. So, setting at 16 Heads,
    I tried to delete the old parititons but I couldn't. I didn't know that
    I could only delte the parititons under the same setting it was
    created, i.e LBA's master's until today when I asked the guy at Fry's.

    The guy at Fry's Electronic reformatted the hard drive and created two
    partitions. (I tried to reformat it with my 2nd PC by keeping that hard
    drive as extrenal drive but the other PC couldn't detect the extrenal
    drive except for a split second. I had returned the enclosure because
    the plastic at the screw area kind of broke. )

    Anyway, now when I put thatbreformatted hard drive in the PC where I
    want to install windows, I am getting the message that hard drive not
    found. I went inside setup and it is whoing unknown device for Primary
    0.

    I am abosulutely sure that I have all the connections (cabel and power)
    to the hard drive correct.

    What would the solution to this problem be.

    Amanda, Sep 8, 2006

  2. Amanda

    Amanda Guest

    Problem solved. I remmebered that I had to put the cable the opposite
    since this hitachi drive seems to have the groove at the wrong side.

    Amanda, Sep 8, 2006