Re: Installing Windows 7 on a new PC.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mary Hanna, Dec 27, 2009.

  1. Mary Hanna

    Mary Hanna Guest

    On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 10:54:40 +1300, Crash <> wrote:

    >Greetings folks,
    >
    >I am considering buying a bare-bones PC for my home office. Intended
    >use is small-company administration - MS Office, emails, web browsing.
    >
    >Having looked around a bit there is a 'barebones' box available from
    >Atech that I can buy assembled but without Windows installed.
    >
    >It is many years since I have installed Windows anywhere. While I am
    >no expert on this I have had no difficulty installing the likes of ME
    >and XP and I can usually work my way around any odd issues that arise.
    >However I have never done this on a new machine. Once Windows is
    >installed I plan to install Partition Manager and use this to
    >reconfigure the physical drive into multiple logical drives (as I have
    >done for my other two PCs running XP).
    >
    >I plan to buy the OEM version of 7 Home Premium. Are there any
    >gotchas related to installing 7 on a new machine?
    >
    >Please note that my choice of OS is not up for debate and that
    >therefore comments about other OSs are off-topic.

    You do not need Partition Magic to partition the Drive use the Tool from the
    HD maker..

    Mary Hanna, Dec 27, 2009

  2. Mary Hanna

    peterwn Guest

    On Dec 28, 12:52 pm, Mary Hanna <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 10:54:40 +1300, Crash <> wrote:
    > >Greetings folks,

    > >I am considering buying a bare-bones PC for my home office.  Intended
    > >use is small-company administration - MS Office, emails, web browsing.

    > >Having looked around a bit there is a 'barebones' box available from
    > >Atech that I can buy assembled but without Windows installed.

    > >It is many years since I have installed Windows anywhere.  While I am
    > >no expert on this I have had no difficulty installing the likes of ME
    > >and XP and I can usually work my way around any odd issues that arise.
    > >However I have never done this on a new machine.  Once Windows is
    > >installed I plan to install Partition Manager and use this to
    > >reconfigure the physical drive into multiple logical drives (as I have
    > >done for my other two PCs running XP).

    > >I plan to buy the OEM version of 7 Home Premium.  Are there any
    > >gotchas related to installing 7 on a new machine?

    > >Please note that my choice of OS is not up for debate and that
    > >therefore comments about other OSs are off-topic.

    > You do not need Partition Magic to partition the Drive use the Tool from the
    > HD maker..

    OP's question was fair enough as he wanted to ascertain the
    partitioning features (if any) of Win 7 noting that Microsoft has a
    strong preference for one partition only on HD's. A wise move is to
    have the 'Documents and Settings' folder on a separate partition, but
    this unfortunately requires some 'knowhow'.

    peterwn, Dec 28, 2009

  3. Mary Hanna

    Mary Hanna Guest

    On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 16:56:02 -0800 (PST), peterwn <> wrote:

    >On Dec 28, 12:52 pm, Mary Hanna <> wrote:
    >> On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 10:54:40 +1300, Crash <> wrote:
    >> >Greetings folks,

    >> >I am considering buying a bare-bones PC for my home office.  Intended
    >> >use is small-company administration - MS Office, emails, web browsing.

    >> >Having looked around a bit there is a 'barebones' box available from
    >> >Atech that I can buy assembled but without Windows installed.

    >> >It is many years since I have installed Windows anywhere.  While I am
    >> >no expert on this I have had no difficulty installing the likes of ME
    >> >and XP and I can usually work my way around any odd issues that arise.
    >> >However I have never done this on a new machine.  Once Windows is
    >> >installed I plan to install Partition Manager and use this to
    >> >reconfigure the physical drive into multiple logical drives (as I have
    >> >done for my other two PCs running XP).

    >> >I plan to buy the OEM version of 7 Home Premium.  Are there any
    >> >gotchas related to installing 7 on a new machine?

    >> >Please note that my choice of OS is not up for debate and that
    >> >therefore comments about other OSs are off-topic.

    >> You do not need Partition Magic to partition the Drive use the Tool from the
    >> HD maker..

    >OP's question was fair enough as he wanted to ascertain the
    >partitioning features (if any) of Win 7 noting that Microsoft has a
    >strong preference for one partition only on HD's. A wise move is to
    >have the 'Documents and Settings' folder on a separate partition, but
    >this unfortunately requires some 'knowhow'.

    There is a simple tool to move it.

    Tweak- 7

    http://www.totalidea.com/

    Mary Hanna, Dec 28, 2009
  4. In message
    <>, peterwn
    wrote:

    > ... noting that Microsoft has a strong preference for one partition only
    > on HD's.

    Which is such a stupid restriction in this day and age. Particularly with
    Windows’ well-known inability to keep user data and system code separate.

    > A wise move is to have the 'Documents and Settings' folder on a separate
    > partition, but this unfortunately requires some 'knowhow'.

    And also apparently breaks some apps. And it might not even help
    <http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/6dd7c66ffa8e176c>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 28, 2009