Re: Installing Windows 7 on a new PC.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 27, 2009.

  1. In message <>, Crash wrote:

    > I plan to buy the OEM version of 7 Home Premium.

    You’re not allowed to buy an OEM licence to install for your own use
    <http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?selm=hcu2he$guj$>,
    <http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?selm=hd2d72$2h9$>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 27, 2009

  2. In message <>, Crash wrote:

    > On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 12:02:14 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In message <>, Crash wrote:
    >>
    >>> I plan to buy the OEM version of 7 Home Premium.

    >>You’re not allowed to buy an OEM licence to install for your own use
    >><http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?selm=hcu2he$guj$>,
    >><http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?selm=hd2d72$2h9$>.

    > Interesting but inaccurate. MS have no control over what I buy from
    > Atech (or anyone else).

    They own the rights to the software. They’re entitled to go after
    “counterfeiters†who sell unauthorized copies of Windows. If a copy is sold
    not according to the licence conditions, then it’s unauthorized. Since,
    after all, it is only the licence conditions that authorize the sale.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 28, 2009

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    peterwn Guest

    On Dec 28, 1:10 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <>, Crash wrote:
    >
    > > On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 12:02:14 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > > <_zealand> wrote:

    > >>You’re not allowed to buy an OEM licence to install for your own use
    > >><http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?selm=hcu2he$>,
    > >><http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?selm=hd2d72$>..

    > > Interesting but inaccurate.  MS have no control over what I buy from
    > > Atech (or anyone else).

    > They own the rights to the software. They’re entitled to go after
    > “counterfeiters” who sell unauthorized copies of Windows. If a copy is sold
    > not according to the licence conditions, then it’s unauthorized. Since,
    > after all, it is only the licence conditions that authorize the sale.

    Buying OEM Windows together with the 'target' machine is quite legit.
    as far as I know.

    peterwn, Dec 28, 2009
  4. In message <54ab4bbd-9723-42b0-
    >, peterwn wrote:

    > Buying OEM Windows together with the 'target' machine is quite legit.
    > as far as I know.

    It used to be. But Microsoft has been removing any mention of such
    permissions from its website and licence agreements.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 28, 2009