Re: installing gcc

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Brett Mason, Jul 13, 2003.

  1. Brett Mason

    Brett Mason Guest

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 14:20:49 +1200, cowboyz wrote:

    > instructions:
    >
    > To configure GCC:
    >
    > % mkdir objdir
    > % cd objdir
    > % srcdir/configure [options] [target]
    >

    > what I get:
    >
    > xp2100:~/C:/gcc-3.3# dir
    > xp2100:~/C:/gcc-3.3# mkdir objdir
    > xp2100:~/C:/gcc-3.3# cd objdir
    > xp2100:~/C:/gcc-3.3/objdir# srcdir/configure
    > bash: srcdir/configure: No such file or directory
    > xp2100:~/C:/gcc-3.3/objdir#

    I think the instructions are wrong. There are no files in objdir because
    you just created it.

    Are you using the names srcdir and objdir literally?

    By srcdir they mean the directory where you unzipped the source code and I
    think objdir is where the stuff goes when its compiled.

    Try running ./configure from the gcc-3.3 directory.

    Wait a minute.. if you haven't got gcc installed you won't be able to
    compile it anyway.

    Lindows is debian based so you could probably just grab a debian package.
    But you might be better of with mandrake if you want to use a compiler.

    Brett.
    Brett Mason, Jul 13, 2003

  2. Brett Mason

    cowboyz Guest

    "Brett Mason" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 14:20:49 +1200, cowboyz wrote:
    >
    > > instructions:
    > >
    > > To configure GCC:
    > >
    > > % mkdir objdir
    > > % cd objdir
    > > % srcdir/configure [options] [target]
    > >

    > > what I get:
    > >
    > > xp2100:~/C:/gcc-3.3# dir
    > > xp2100:~/C:/gcc-3.3# mkdir objdir
    > > xp2100:~/C:/gcc-3.3# cd objdir
    > > xp2100:~/C:/gcc-3.3/objdir# srcdir/configure
    > > bash: srcdir/configure: No such file or directory
    > > xp2100:~/C:/gcc-3.3/objdir#

    > I think the instructions are wrong. There are no files in objdir because
    > you just created it.

    That is not helpful.

    > Are you using the names srcdir and objdir literally?

    Yes, I was using the instructions to the letter.

    > By srcdir they mean the directory where you unzipped the source code and I
    > think objdir is where the stuff goes when its compiled.

    oh

    > Try running ./configure from the gcc-3.3 directory.

    I did try that and got an error. I forget what it said now. No such file I
    think.

    > Wait a minute.. if you haven't got gcc installed you won't be able to
    > compile it anyway.

    Found that out,.

    > Lindows is debian based so you could probably just grab a debian package.
    > But you might be better of with mandrake if you want to use a compiler.

    Or throw it out the window and download mandrake 9.1, I choose the second
    option.

    > Brett.
    > --

    "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
    cowboyz, Jul 13, 2003