Re: Installing a sound card

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by chuckcar, Jul 3, 2010.

  1. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    wrote in
    news::

    > I have new computer which I ordered using the onboard audio to save a
    > few bucks. Now I'm thinking I should have just sprung for a sound
    > card. If I buy a card and install it, do I have to deactivate the
    > onboard sound in the BIOS or will the motherboard detect a sound card
    > being installed? Thanks.

    The motherboard doesn't care in the least about any add on sound card.
    That's handled at the operating system level and higher. Check your BIOS
    *now* to make sure you can deactivate the onboard card.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Jul 3, 2010

  2. chuckcar

    Tony Guest

    The motherboard doesn't care, but i care and i'm sure he cares too.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    manners

    Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first day
    on the job for potty mouth,

    the realm of understandability

    Tony, Jul 3, 2010

  3. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote in

    > On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 23:30:56 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Check your BIOS *now* to make sure you can deactivate the onboard card.

    > Gee, sounds like something I said yesterday.

    LOL. The man that doesn't even understand PCI.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Jul 3, 2010
  4. chuckcar

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 03/07/2010 00:30, chuckcar wrote:
    > wrote in
    >
    >> I have new computer which I ordered using the onboard audio to save a
    >> few bucks. Now I'm thinking I should have just sprung for a sound
    >> card. If I buy a card and install it, do I have to deactivate the
    >> onboard sound in the BIOS or will the motherboard detect a sound card
    >> being installed? Thanks.
    >>

    > The motherboard doesn't care in the least about any add on sound card.
    > That's handled at the operating system level and higher. Check your BIOS
    > *now* to make sure you can deactivate the onboard card.

    Strange, I never needed to do that when I installed a second sound card
    and I never need to do it when I plug in a USB sound card. I must have a
    very special PC.
    Desk Rabbit, Jul 5, 2010
  5. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    Desk Rabbit <> wrote in

    > On 03/07/2010 00:30, chuckcar wrote:
    >> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I have new computer which I ordered using the onboard audio to save a
    >>> few bucks. Now I'm thinking I should have just sprung for a sound
    >>> card. If I buy a card and install it, do I have to deactivate the
    >>> onboard sound in the BIOS or will the motherboard detect a sound card
    >>> being installed? Thanks.
    >>>

    >> The motherboard doesn't care in the least about any add on sound card.
    >> That's handled at the operating system level and higher. Check your BIOS
    >> *now* to make sure you can deactivate the onboard card.
    >>

    > Strange, I never needed to do that when I installed a second sound card
    > and I never need to do it when I plug in a USB sound card. I must have a
    > very special PC.

    I never said you *had* to deactivate the onnboard. It just makes sense to
    do so is all. However, tell me exactly what a "USB sound card" is and how
    you plug it directly into the main bus. Not USB ports mind you.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Jul 5, 2010
  6. chuckcar

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 05/07/2010 22:32, chuckcar wrote:
    > Desk Rabbit<> wrote in
    >
    >> On 03/07/2010 00:30, chuckcar wrote:
    >>> wrote in

    >>> The motherboard doesn't care in the least about any add on sound card.
    >>> That's handled at the operating system level and higher. Check your BIOS
    >>> *now* to make sure you can deactivate the onboard card.
    >>>

    >> Strange, I never needed to do that when I installed a second sound card
    >> and I never need to do it when I plug in a USB sound card. I must have a
    >> very special PC.
    >>

    > I never said you *had* to deactivate the onnboard. It just makes sense to
    > do so is all. However, tell me exactly what a "USB sound card" is and how
    > you plug it directly into the main bus. Not USB ports mind you.

    So why the emphasis in "Check your BIOS *now*" if it's not important.
    Why would it make sense to disable the other card if it doesn't cause a
    problem? I might want to use it as a second output or input for example.
    Desk Rabbit, Jul 6, 2010
  7. chuckcar

    Aardvark Guest

    On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 09:24:49 +0100, Desk Rabbit wrote:

    > So why the emphasis in "Check your BIOS *now*" if it's not important.

    Coz he's chucktard,that's why.

    Aardvark, Jul 7, 2010
  8. chuckcar

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 07/07/2010 01:11, Aardvark wrote:
    > On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 09:24:49 +0100, Desk Rabbit wrote:
    >
    >> So why the emphasis in "Check your BIOS *now*" if it's not important.

    > Coz he's chucktard,that's why.

    I know but it's fun to play with him.
    Desk Rabbit, Jul 7, 2010
  9. chuckcar

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 07/07/2010 09:24, nobody > wrote:
    > On 7/6/2010 1:24 AM, Desk Rabbit wrote:
    >> On 05/07/2010 22:32, chuckcar wrote:
    >>> Desk Rabbit<> wrote in

    >>> I never said you *had* to deactivate the onnboard. It just makes
    >>> sense to
    >>> do so is all. However, tell me exactly what a "USB sound card" is and
    >>> how
    >>> you plug it directly into the main bus. Not USB ports mind you.
    >>>

    >> So why the emphasis in "Check your BIOS *now*" if it's not important.
    >> Why would it make sense to disable the other card if it doesn't cause a
    >> problem? I might want to use it as a second output or input for example.

    > Depends on the way the two (card and onboard) sound systems interact
    > with your OS and apps... and how much you want to play the tweak game.
    >
    > I quit playing "high-end games" years ago, primarily due to the high
    > cost of spending megabuX$ on $400+ vidcards (and watercooling, and
    > $y-CPUs and such. I forgot about the "soundcard wars" until your post.

    I'm not a gamer.

    > It's possible to use multiple "sound devices" in Windo$e. It's just as
    > much of a pain in the ass there as it was back in the DOS days when it
    > was easier to run a bootscript to load drivers for each "sound device"
    > for each game.

    Let me see. I've got an on board sound card, a pro studio sound card and
    I regularly plug in one or more USB sound interfaces and they all work
    together just fine and dandy.

    > (at one time; I had a SB64 Gold, an Orchid 32, and a GUS all filling ISA
    > slots, and a 145-line batchfile to load whatever SC fit whatever game
    > (in DOS).

    ISA I agree was a pain where you had to figure out a suitable address
    and IRQs but then along came plug and play and all is sweetness and
    light now.

    > Doing this in Windo$e?

    Yes

    > Figure about 6 hours minimum just "playing with" various 'preference
    > dialog boxes' before you even see what you have stepped in. After that,
    > you'll find yourself doing REGEDIT hacks off GoogFinds.

    Rubbish. Plug in hardware, install drivers, good to go. About 20 minutes
    tops including downloading the latest drivers from the manufacturers web
    site.

    > Nasty...

    Simple.
    Desk Rabbit, Jul 7, 2010
  10. Desk Rabbit <> pinched out a steaming pile
    of<i1286h$raf$>:

    >> Figure about 6 hours minimum just "playing with" various 'preference
    >> dialog boxes' before you even see what you have stepped in. After

    that,
    >> you'll find yourself doing REGEDIT hacks off GoogFinds.

    >Rubbish. Plug in hardware, install drivers, good to go. About 20

    minutes
    >tops including downloading the latest drivers from the manufacturers

    web
    >site.

    What a crock of shit. Find the EXACT driver for a BRoadcom 5705M Net
    Extreme. After you see that theres like five versions of drivers for it
    tell us how you'd find the exact driver for it. Btw, its an OEM driver
    too.

    Good luck wasting a day searching.

    ^_^

    §ñühw¤£f, Jul 7, 2010
  11. chuckcar

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 07/07/2010 21:31, §ñühw¤£f wrote:
    > Desk Rabbit<> pinched out a steaming pile
    > of<i1286h$raf$>:
    >
    >>> Figure about 6 hours minimum just "playing with" various 'preference
    >>> dialog boxes' before you even see what you have stepped in. After

    > that,
    >>> you'll find yourself doing REGEDIT hacks off GoogFinds.

    >> Rubbish. Plug in hardware, install drivers, good to go. About 20

    > minutes
    >> tops including downloading the latest drivers from the manufacturers

    > web
    >> site.
    >>

    > What a crock of shit. Find the EXACT driver for a BRoadcom 5705M Net
    > Extreme. After you see that theres like five versions of drivers for it
    > tell us how you'd find the exact driver for it. Btw, its an OEM driver
    > too.

    The OEM driver would be available from the OEM so that's where you go to
    get an OEM driver. If they can't provide it then you are stuffed as they
    may have altered the firmware in a way that the official driver will no
    longer work. The official Broadcom driver is strangely available from
    the Broadcom web site
    http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/netxtreme_desktop.php

    When given multiple versions for a driver, it's usually best to choose
    the version with the highest revision number unless you have been
    directed to use a different version by a support rep.

    > Good luck wasting a day searching.

    Wasted all of 30 seconds.
    Desk Rabbit, Jul 8, 2010