    password.
    Anyhow I prefer to re-install XP if I can

    ---

    tomm, Jan 31, 2004

  2. tomm

    Robert Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 15:25:19 -0000, "tomm" <> wrote:

    >When I had win 98 I used to correct some probs by re-installing windows over
    >the original (rather than a clean re-install). How do I do this in xp?
    >Is it the same method? When I get to the option screen about formatting the
    >drive, is there an option NOT to format, but just to re-install over the
    >original?
    > I tried the repair option but this took mne to a screen asking for a
    >password.
    >Anyhow I prefer to re-install XP if I can
    >

    >---

    Try system restore I had to reinstall and I had to repartition the
    drives

    Robert, Jan 31, 2004

  3. tomm

    tomm Guest

    I can`t go back. System restore says it is not possible no matter which
    restore point I pick

    > Try system restore I had to reinstall and I had to repartition the
    > drives

    ---

    tomm, Jan 31, 2004
  4. tomm

    Abbyss Guest

    Hi!

    No problem. Just run setup from CD (winnt or winnt32 from i386 on the CD)
    and choose "upgrade".

    Regards
    Abbyss

    Abbyss, Jan 31, 2004
  5. tomm

    tomm Guest

    I don`t wan`t to upgrade from win 98.
    I want to re-install xp over my original
    "Abbyss" <> wrote in message
    > Hi!
    >
    > No problem. Just run setup from CD (winnt or winnt32 from i386 on the CD)
    > and choose "upgrade".
    >
    > Regards
    > Abbyss
    >

    > "tomm" <> skrev i melding
    > > When I had win 98 I used to correct some probs by re-installing windows

    > over
    > > the original (rather than a clean re-install). How do I do this in xp?
    > > Is it the same method? When I get to the option screen about formatting

    > the
    > > drive, is there an option NOT to format, but just to re-install over the
    > > original?
    > > I tried the repair option but this took mne to a screen asking for a
    > > password.
    > > Anyhow I prefer to re-install XP if I can
    > >

    > > ---

    ---

    tomm, Jan 31, 2004
  6. tomm

    Abbyss Guest

    Aaaaaa!

    Ok, but, you can not do that. You can not upgrade form 98 to XP. Backup you'
    re personal files, e-mail addresses, favourites an so on. Then do a CLEAN
    install of XP.

    Regards
    Abbyss

    Abbyss, Jan 31, 2004
  7. tomm

    tomm Guest

    hang on.....
    I have XP installed ( I should never have mentioned win 98!)
    All I want to do is re-install XP over my original XP to see if it would
    clear up a few probs..
    "Abbyss" <> wrote in message
    > Aaaaaa!
    >
    > Ok, but, you can not do that. You can not upgrade form 98 to XP. Backup

    you'
    > re personal files, e-mail addresses, favourites an so on. Then do a CLEAN
    > install of XP.
    >
    > Regards
    > Abbyss
    >

    > "tomm" <> skrev i melding
    > > I don`t wan`t to upgrade from win 98.
    > > I want to re-install xp over my original
    > > "Abbyss" <> wrote in message
    > > > Hi!
    > > >
    > > > No problem. Just run setup from CD (winnt or winnt32 from i386 on the

    > CD)
    > > > and choose "upgrade".
    > > >
    > > > Regards
    > > > Abbyss
    > > >

    > > > "tomm" <> skrev i melding

    > windows
    > > > over

    xp?

    > formatting
    > > > the

    > the

    > > ---

    ---

    tomm, Jan 31, 2004
  8. tomm

    °Mike° Guest

    Boot from the XP CD. Choose a new install, and the setup
    should find your current version and perform a repair.

    On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 18:26:25 -0000, in
    <401bf34a$0$13347$>
    tomm scrawled:

    >hang on.....
    > I have XP installed ( I should never have mentioned win 98!)
    >All I want to do is re-install XP over my original XP to see if it would
    >clear up a few probs..

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 31, 2004
  9. tomm

    Liz Guest

    "tomm" <> wrote:
    > hang on.....
    > I have XP installed ( I should never have mentioned win 98!)
    > All I want to do is re-install XP over my original XP to see if it would
    > clear up a few probs..

    How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q315341

    If you want to prevent at least some activation headaches, you can make
    a backup copy of Wpa.dbl, a tiny file stored in the %\SystemRoot%\System32
    folder. This file contains the hardware "fingerprint" information used to determine
    whether activation is required. If you need to reinstall XP on a system that
    has already been activated, you can restore this file and bypass the need for
    activation--if your hardware hasn't changed appreciably since the original activation.
    Windows also creates a backup copy of this file, called Wpa.bak, at startup.
    This backup copy can be lifesaver if you encounter problems after a hardware
    upgrade. If Windows refuses to run because your new hardware has triggered
    the activation code, you may be able to recover using this workaround:
    Restore your old hardware, start your computer in safe Mode, and rename
    Wpa.bak to Wpa.dbl. If all goes as it should, you will be reactivated and able
    to continue working.

    In addition, if you purchase a new computers on which Windows XP is
    preinstalled, the activation process may have been completed before delivery.
    Copies of Windows sold this way are frequently tied via software to the
    BIOS of that computer. You may reinstall that copy of Windows XP an
    unlimited number of times on the computer it came with, regardless of how
    many upgrades you make.

    Liz, Jan 31, 2004
  10. tomm

    Liz Guest

    Backup / Restore XP Activation
    http://is-it-true.org/nt/xp/atips/atips13.shtml

    Liz, Jan 31, 2004
  11. tomm

    Robert Guest

    I got errors when I tried to overwrite xp, it had to be repartitioned
    :-(

    Robert, Jan 31, 2004