re-install Win 98 Se, Intel D815EEA Mobo

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Cory Lechner, Nov 24, 2003.

  1. Cory Lechner

    Cory Lechner Guest

    Hi!

    I did a Windows 98 SE re-install on my friend's machine that has a Intel
    D815EEA (815E chipset). I have a couple of problems with this PC, I don't
    have the motherboard CD so this makes it more difficult. I have referred to
    the Intel support website
    (http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/D815EEA/index.htm), but I
    can't seem to find the solutions.

    Problem #1 - PCI System Management Bus:
    There is some driver that I need for the above (it lists it the device
    manager under "other devices", with a yellow question mark beside it.). Any
    ideas?? It also lists a unknown device as well, even though there are no
    expansion cards installed (there is on-board video, sound, ethernet).

    Problem #2 - machine doesn't power down completely, and the "reset" button
    doesn't seem to want to reset the machine. The only way I can turn it on or
    off, is with the switch in the back of the power supply. I can't even hold
    the power button in for 4 seconds to power it down (isn't that the way it
    works with most machines??) Is this a power supply issue?

    Problem #3 - system clock doesn't seem to want to keep time - I reset the
    clock through Date/Time Properties (the clock appears to be running fine),
    but the clock doesn't seem to want to run after I hit "OK"??? Really odd,
    eh?

    Cory
    Cory Lechner, Nov 24, 2003

  2. Cory Lechner

    mcp6453 Guest

    Cory Lechner wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > I did a Windows 98 SE re-install on my friend's machine that has a Intel
    > D815EEA (815E chipset). I have a couple of problems with this PC, I don't
    > have the motherboard CD so this makes it more difficult. I have referred to
    > the Intel support website
    > (http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/D815EEA/index.htm), but I
    > can't seem to find the solutions.
    >
    > Problem #1 - PCI System Management Bus:
    > There is some driver that I need for the above (it lists it the device
    > manager under "other devices", with a yellow question mark beside it.). Any
    > ideas?? It also lists a unknown device as well, even though there are no
    > expansion cards installed (there is on-board video, sound, ethernet).
    >
    > Problem #2 - machine doesn't power down completely, and the "reset" button
    > doesn't seem to want to reset the machine. The only way I can turn it on or
    > off, is with the switch in the back of the power supply. I can't even hold
    > the power button in for 4 seconds to power it down (isn't that the way it
    > works with most machines??) Is this a power supply issue?
    >
    > Problem #3 - system clock doesn't seem to want to keep time - I reset the
    > clock through Date/Time Properties (the clock appears to be running fine),
    > but the clock doesn't seem to want to run after I hit "OK"??? Really odd,
    > eh?
    >
    > Cory

    Did you download and install the INF file from http://tinyurl.com/w9wx?
    These motherboards are some of the LEAST troublesome of all, in my
    experience.
    mcp6453, Nov 24, 2003

  3. Cory Lechner

    Cory Lechner Guest

    I'm pretty sure I did (if you mean the INF file from this website:
    http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Detail_Desc.asp?agr=N&ProductID=385&DwnldID=3491.
    It is an INF update utility.

    Cory Lechner, Nov 24, 2003
  4. Cory Lechner

    mcp6453 Guest

    mcp6453, Nov 25, 2003
  5. Cory Lechner

    Cory Lechner Guest

    It seems as though the bad motherboard theory might be a good one - could it
    be the cause of problems #2 and 3 as well? What do you think?

    Cory

    Cory Lechner, Nov 25, 2003
  6. Cory Lechner

    Cory Lechner Guest

    I forgot to mention that I did remove the "errored device" in Device
    Manager, which didn't seem to help.

    Cory Lechner, Nov 25, 2003
  7. Cory Lechner

    mcp6453 Guest

    Cory Lechner wrote:

    > It seems as though the bad motherboard theory might be a good one - could it
    > be the cause of problems #2 and 3 as well? What do you think?

    The only two ways I know to troubleshoot a bad motherboard are as
    follows:

    1) If you have a spare hard drive, rebuild the computer exactly the same
    as it is now with a fresh installation of Windows 98 on the spare hard
    drive. If the problem shows up with everything new, the motherboard is
    bad. If the problem goes away, something on the hard drive -- or the
    hard drive itself -- is hosed.

    2) Replace the motherboard with an identical unit.

    Bad motherboards are difficult to diagnose, but I have found several of
    them, in my time.
    mcp6453, Nov 25, 2003