Re: Install shield fails

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Evan Platt, Oct 18, 2008.

  1. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 18:38:01 -0400, wrote:

    >I have tried to install some codecs and things for RAW photo use, had no
    >problems on other computers, but always get a failure on one machine.
    >
    >error 0x80040706 in Install Shield.
    >
    >Something not referenced or whatever...
    >
    >Nothing on Microsoft site...
    >
    >Re-installed XP Pro as an upgrade, no change...
    >
    >Is there a way to reinstall install shield or something?

    Googling 0x80040706 comes up with a number of suggestions. I'm sure if
    you added the exact wording of the error, you'd narrow it down.

    Start with
    http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?t=156732

    And try that.
    Evan Platt, Oct 18, 2008

  2. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 22:58:27 -0400, wrote:

    >I went to installshield.com and downloaded their patch to fix the specific
    >problem...
    >
    >The PATCH failed from the SAME error!!
    >
    >What a bunch of fucking lame-o's!!!
    >
    >Figues, these **** heads are part of macrovision... they don't have a fucking
    >clue.

    Did you try
    http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?t=156732

    "Check that at rootdrive:\Program Files\Common
    Files\InstallShield\Driver, if this folder exists, then try to remove
    Driver folder and then run the setup.exe again.

    Also in the TaskManager kill all the process related to iDriver.exe
    and msiexec.exe.

    Hope this helps."
    Evan Platt, Oct 19, 2008

  3. Evan Platt

    thanatoid Guest

    wrote in

    > On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 08:26:57 -0700, Evan Platt
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 22:58:27 -0400, wrote:
    >>
    >>>I went to installshield.com and downloaded their patch to
    >>>fix the specific problem...
    >>>
    >>>The PATCH failed from the SAME error!!
    >>>
    >>>What a bunch of fucking lame-o's!!!
    >>>
    >>>Figues, these **** heads are part of macrovision... they
    >>>don't have a fucking clue.

    >>Did you try
    >>http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?t=156732
    >>
    >>"Check that at rootdrive:\Program Files\Common
    >>Files\InstallShield\Driver, if this folder exists, then try
    >>to remove Driver folder and then run the setup.exe again.
    >>
    >>Also in the TaskManager kill all the process related to
    >>iDriver.exe and msiexec.exe.
    >>
    >>Hope this helps."

    > I tried all that stuff... I even took the entire dir from
    > another computer and replaced it... same crap error...
    >
    > Did you see how many hundreds of people have problems with
    > this shitware?
    >
    > I think this all started from when I deleted roxio (more
    > shitware) and used a utility (from microsoft) to clean the
    > machine...
    >
    > Guess I'll just start over and erase the HD.

    Before you do that, Google "RPC stub".
    One of the links on the first page will be the InstallShield
    site. See what they may have to offer. Apparently IS conflicts
    with a variety of Windows things, and there ARE solutions.

    --
    Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the
    votes decide everything.

    NB: Not only is my KF over 4 KB and growing, I am also filtering
    everything from discussions.microsoft and google groups, so no
    offense if you don't get a reply/comment unless I see you quoted
    in another post.
    thanatoid, Oct 20, 2008
  4. Evan Platt

    thanatoid Guest

    wrote in

    <SNIP>

    >>Before you do that, Google "RPC stub".
    >>One of the links on the first page will be the
    >>InstallShield site. See what they may have to offer.
    >>Apparently IS conflicts with a variety of Windows things,
    >>and there ARE solutions.

    > Installshield provided updates to their engine - in
    > Installshield format!
    >
    > They don't install!!! NOTHING installs!!
    >
    > I contacted a software company whose software doesn't
    > install and they suggested I delete the installshield
    > folder - ok - same error code...
    >
    > I imagine windows is providing the file from its archives
    > if I deleted the folder - or the program to be installed
    > has the engines built in... I'll try deleting again and
    > installing a different program... after that its a reg
    > search I guess...
    >
    > Another thing - since I re-installed windows, the new
    > desktop has no Internet explorer or other common icons... I
    > think windows has borked...

    The ONLY problem I've had with InstallShield-using programs was
    the "RPC stub" issue, the solution to which I have found,
    applied, and it worked.

    But that has led me to believe there may be other simple
    solutions for other IS problems. Sorry it didn't help you.

    I like Inno setup the best, and the install shield component is
    included in every program I believe. The fact it tends to leave
    "residue" is another matter - MSI is FAR worse IMO, and as
    rule, I look for alternatives when I am faced with an MSI-using
    program.

    Although I never experimented with it, I believe the sizable
    InstallShield directory in program files is just a "backup" for
    people to whom it has not occurred to save the install zips or
    exes of misc. software on a CD-R or another partition at least.
    MSI does the same, but it's even more annoying about it.

    Reinstalling a last good image of the OS partition (if you have
    one - if you don't, consider a good image program like Acronis
    or Norton Ghost, even xxcopy will do the job although it is a
    little more complicated to use) /or/ formatting, partitioning,
    and reinstalling everything every year or two seems to be the
    only way to manage windows, sadly.

    Reinstalling Windows without formatting rarely works. Windows
    keeps too much crap from the previous set-up, and it all gets
    confused into an even bigger mess.

    thanatoid, Oct 21, 2008