Re: Install Pro over Home?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by The One True Roger, May 1, 2008.

  1. On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 16:03:45 -0500, I found that
    (§ñühw¤£f) Scribbled the following on the bathroom wall:

    >No...that wont do it. You really have to use the original 1998 laptop with 4GB hdd and 64MB of ram
    >to get the real feel for the beauty of computing in yesteryear...



    Last week, for the hell of it, I took my old 333Mhz computer, with 128
    Ram, and installed 3.1 on it. It plays a lot of the old DOS games
    fairly well LOL, sometimes a bit too fast.

    --
    "What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of
    liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of
    patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."
    - Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787

    "The best propaganda omits rather than invents" - Mason Cooley
     
    The One True Roger, May 1, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. The One True Roger

    Lars Guest

    Previously, on Usenet Wolf 253 <> wrote:

    >> Last week, for the hell of it, I took my old 333Mhz computer, with 128
    >> Ram, and installed 3.1 on it. It plays a lot of the old DOS games
    >> fairly well LOL, sometimes a bit too fast.
    >>

    >Considering the minimum system requirements for 3.1 were a 286 and 4MB ram I would think so!


    4MB? No, most computers at the time of 3.1 had only 1MB of ram. One.

    Lars
    Stockholm
     
    Lars, May 2, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. On Thu, 1 May 2008 09:29:03 -0700, I found that Wolf 253
    <> Scribbled the following on the bathroom wall:

    >On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 20:08:05 -0500
    >The One True Roger <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 16:03:45 -0500, I found that
    >> (§ñühw¤£f) Scribbled the following on the bathroom wall:
    >>
    >> >No...that wont do it. You really have to use the original 1998 laptop with 4GB hdd and 64MB of ram
    >> >to get the real feel for the beauty of computing in yesteryear...

    >>
    >>
    >> Last week, for the hell of it, I took my old 333Mhz computer, with 128
    >> Ram, and installed 3.1 on it. It plays a lot of the old DOS games
    >> fairly well LOL, sometimes a bit too fast.
    >>

    >Considering the minimum system requirements for 3.1 were a 286 and 4MB ram I would think so!
    >Theres lots of dos games for free floating around on the net.
    >My faves;
    >sledride
    >urthwurm
    >kens labyrinth
    >bugs bunny
    >avoid the noid
    >hangman


    286???

    You are way off on that. My first PC (after Amiga and such) was an old
    66 Compaq, running 3.1 with 4mb ram.

    --
    "What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of
    liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of
    patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."
    - Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787

    "The best propaganda omits rather than invents" - Mason Cooley
     
    The One True Roger, May 2, 2008
    #3
  4. On Fri, 02 May 2008 11:23:39 +0200, I found that Lars <>
    Scribbled the following on the bathroom wall:

    >Previously, on Usenet Wolf 253 <> wrote:
    >
    >>> Last week, for the hell of it, I took my old 333Mhz computer, with 128
    >>> Ram, and installed 3.1 on it. It plays a lot of the old DOS games
    >>> fairly well LOL, sometimes a bit too fast.
    >>>

    >>Considering the minimum system requirements for 3.1 were a 286 and 4MB ram I would think so!

    >
    >4MB? No, most computers at the time of 3.1 had only 1MB of ram. One.
    >
    >Lars
    >Stockholm


    That's back when a 4MB chip cost about $80

    --
    "What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of
    liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of
    patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."
    - Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787

    "The best propaganda omits rather than invents" - Mason Cooley
     
    The One True Roger, May 2, 2008
    #4
  5. On Sat, 3 May 2008 08:28:44 -0700, I found that Wolf 253
    <> Scribbled the following on the bathroom wall:

    >On Fri, 02 May 2008 16:55:37 -0500
    >The One True Roger <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 1 May 2008 09:29:03 -0700, I found that Wolf 253
    >> <> Scribbled the following on the bathroom wall:
    >>
    >> >On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 20:08:05 -0500
    >> >The One True Roger <> wrote:
    >> >
    >> >> On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 16:03:45 -0500, I found that
    >> >> (§ñühw¤£f) Scribbled the following on the bathroom wall:
    >> >>
    >> >> >No...that wont do it. You really have to use the original 1998 laptop with 4GB hdd and 64MB of ram
    >> >> >to get the real feel for the beauty of computing in yesteryear...
    >> >>
    >> >>
    >> >> Last week, for the hell of it, I took my old 333Mhz computer, with 128
    >> >> Ram, and installed 3.1 on it. It plays a lot of the old DOS games
    >> >> fairly well LOL, sometimes a bit too fast.
    >> >>
    >> >Considering the minimum system requirements for 3.1 were a 286 and 4MB ram I would think so!
    >> >Theres lots of dos games for free floating around on the net.
    >> >My faves;
    >> >sledride
    >> >urthwurm
    >> >kens labyrinth
    >> >bugs bunny
    >> >avoid the noid
    >> >hangman

    >>
    >> 286???
    >>
    >> You are way off on that. My first PC (after Amiga and such) was an old
    >> 66 Compaq, running 3.1 with 4mb ram.
    >>

    >Uhhhhhhhhhhhh...I ran 3.1 on a Magnavox 286 with 1024k of ram.
    >fyi



    Remember back when that was considered fast?
    maybe about 13 years ago at a minimum.

    --
    "What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of
    liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of
    patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."
    - Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787

    "The best propaganda omits rather than invents" - Mason Cooley
     
    The One True Roger, May 4, 2008
    #5
  6. On Sun, 4 May 2008 08:46:28 -0700, I found that Wolf 253
    <> Scribbled the following on the bathroom wall:

    >On Sat, 03 May 2008 20:25:54 -0500
    >The One True Roger <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 3 May 2008 08:28:44 -0700, I found that Wolf 253
    >> <> Scribbled the following on the bathroom wall:
    >>
    >> >On Fri, 02 May 2008 16:55:37 -0500
    >> >The One True Roger <> wrote:
    >> >
    >> >> On Thu, 1 May 2008 09:29:03 -0700, I found that Wolf 253
    >> >> <> Scribbled the following on the bathroom wall:
    >> >>
    >> >> >On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 20:08:05 -0500
    >> >> >The One True Roger <> wrote:
    >> >> >
    >> >> >> On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 16:03:45 -0500, I found that
    >> >> >> (§ñühw¤£f) Scribbled the following on the bathroom wall:
    >> >> >>
    >> >> >> >No...that wont do it. You really have to use the original 1998 laptop with 4GB hdd and 64MB of ram
    >> >> >> >to get the real feel for the beauty of computing in yesteryear...
    >> >> >>
    >> >> >>
    >> >> >> Last week, for the hell of it, I took my old 333Mhz computer, with 128
    >> >> >> Ram, and installed 3.1 on it. It plays a lot of the old DOS games
    >> >> >> fairly well LOL, sometimes a bit too fast.
    >> >> >>
    >> >> >Considering the minimum system requirements for 3.1 were a 286 and 4MB ram I would think so!
    >> >> >Theres lots of dos games for free floating around on the net.
    >> >> >My faves;
    >> >> >sledride
    >> >> >urthwurm
    >> >> >kens labyrinth
    >> >> >bugs bunny
    >> >> >avoid the noid
    >> >> >hangman
    >> >>
    >> >> 286???
    >> >>
    >> >> You are way off on that. My first PC (after Amiga and such) was an old
    >> >> 66 Compaq, running 3.1 with 4mb ram.
    >> >>
    >> >Uhhhhhhhhhhhh...I ran 3.1 on a Magnavox 286 with 1024k of ram.
    >> >fyi

    >>
    >>
    >> Remember back when that was considered fast?
    >> maybe about 13 years ago at a minimum.
    >>

    >Only for people who didnt know about the Acorn...
    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acorn_Computers
    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:ElectronMagazineAd.jpg
    >RISC based computers blew away DOS based ones back then.
    >In fact since they use less code to do more work they use less power and are therefore "greener" than non-RISC based units.
    >Unfortunately the world favored cheaper (dos) over better (RISC).
    >
    >FYI


    RISC was ok, but I miss CP/M

    --
    "What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of
    liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of
    patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."
    - Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787

    "The best propaganda omits rather than invents" - Mason Cooley
     
    The One True Roger, May 4, 2008
    #6
  7. On Mon, 5 May 2008 08:23:04 -0700, I found that Wolf 253
    <> Scribbled the following on the bathroom wall:

    >> RISC was ok, but I miss CP/M
    >>

    >Which was what dos was stole...er based on.



    The creator of CP/M was originally supposed to write DOS for PCs, but
    for some odd reason, Gates got the deal (I think he under-bid). Yes,
    Microsoft-DOS is basically a tighter form of CP/M.

    The nice thing about my old Amiga, it ran a DOS called Amiga-DOS,
    which was automatically a GUI like Windows.

    I doubt many people even have any idea what we are talking about, and
    Microsoft-DOS is not the first type of DOS ever created.


    --
    "What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of
    liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of
    patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."
    - Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787

    "The best propaganda omits rather than invents" - Mason Cooley
     
    The One True Roger, May 5, 2008
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Mark Patterson

    Installing WinXP Pro over 98SE or Clean install

    Mark Patterson, Feb 3, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    541
    Millard Filmore
    Feb 3, 2004
  2. Jerry
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    1,367
    old jon
    May 30, 2005
  3. GrandpaChuck

    Install WinXP Home Edition over top of XP Pro?

    GrandpaChuck, Aug 15, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    668
    Margolotta
    Aug 17, 2006
  4. Theo Markettos

    VOIP over VPN over TCP over WAP over 3G

    Theo Markettos, Feb 3, 2008, in forum: UK VOIP
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    973
    Theo Markettos
    Feb 14, 2008
  5. Re: Install Pro over Home?

    , May 1, 2008, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    383
    The One True Roger
    May 2, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page