    XP computer, with no result. How do I RE-INSTALL the file to that location?

    Thank you for any advice.

    Mym
    Mym, Jul 12, 2004

  2. Bloody reinstall the OS?
    Thicko.

    "Mym" <> wrote in message
    news:aLxIc.1528$...
    > I am running WIN XP Pro on an Athlon 800 E: drive, and my computer won't
    > boot into WIN XP, although it will boot into my C: drive (WIN ME). A

    black
    > screen tells me I need to re-install HAL.DLL (which is a hardware
    > abstraction layer, apparently). I have this file on my second computer,

    and

    Jay MacDonald, Jul 12, 2004

  3. Mym

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Mym" <> wrote in

    > I am running WIN XP Pro on an Athlon 800 E: drive, and my computer
    > won't boot into WIN XP, although it will boot into my C: drive (WIN
    > ME). A black screen tells me I need to re-install HAL.DLL (which is a
    > hardware abstraction layer, apparently). I have this file on my
    > second computer, and have tried just copying it from a floppy to
    > E:\Windows\System32 on the WIN XP computer, with no result. How do I
    > RE-INSTALL the file to that location?
    >
    > Thank you for any advice.
    >
    > Mym

    You'll need to reinstall the O/S over the existing one. If you do it
    correctly, then the install should put everything back into place and you
    will not have to install the other applications/programs as they will
    remain intact and will work as before. You'll need to apply the SP to the
    O/S again.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jul 12, 2004
  4. Mym