Re: Ink jet cartridge refills?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by thanatoid, Nov 5, 2008.

  1. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    "DemoDisk" <> wrote in

    > The replacement cartridges for my old inkjet printer
    > finally quit. It'll print a bad nozzle check pattern, but
    > no docs or images. Multiple cleaning cycles no good either.
    > Oddly, Epson's software says 'full' for both!
    >
    > I got the replacements from 1-2-3 Inkjets, but I'm looking
    > at refill kits (black only for now) from Walgreens or
    > Staples, basically bcz they're right nearby. They both
    > come with supplies of cleaning agent and way more ink than
    > I'll need in a year.
    >
    > Are these refill kits any good? Do they cause problems?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > JPM

    Since you say "black only for now" I have to say that anyone who
    buys an inkjet but primarily
    prints in b&w should do more research or just ask for advice
    before making ANY decisions.

    Even with color, unless you're just way too rich and/or obsessed
    with printing EVERYTHING (weren't computers going to make the
    world "paperless"?) I would still get a b&w laser and print
    color at Office Depot or a service bureau when I /really/ need
    to.

    Color lasers are REALLY coming down in price now, too.

    --
    "May you live in interesting times."
    (curse, origin disputed)
    thanatoid, Nov 5, 2008

  2. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    "DemoDisk" <> wrote in

    > "thanatoid" <> wrote in message

    <SNIP>

    >> Since you say "black only for now" I have to say that
    >> anyone who buys an inkjet but primarily
    >> prints in b&w should do more research or just ask for
    >> advice before making ANY decisions.

    > I plead antiquity -- the Epson printer, that is. It's a
    > Color Stylus 600, so old that some catalogs & sites don't
    > even list it. Many stores don't stock the refills. And, as
    > I recall, I bought it for it's amazing dot pitch, not as
    > good as laser even at the time, but hey, it was color!

    I understand now, still, was it /really/ color? I remember those
    early "color" inkjets!
    At least todays' inkjets, super rip-off as the cartridges are,
    can produce photo-quality output.

    >> Even with color, unless you're just way too rich and/or
    >> obsessed with printing EVERYTHING (weren't computers going
    >> to make the world "paperless"?) I would still get a b&w
    >> laser and print color at Office Depot or a service bureau
    >> when I /really/ need to.
    >>
    >> Color lasers are REALLY coming down in price now, too.

    > I'll be looking at those. D'you suppose they'll offer deals
    > like those on inkjets, where they basically give the
    > printer away & then you learn the cartridges are $50? : )

    Well, I have noticed a rather disturbing trend where b&w laser
    printers which HAVE come down in price dramatically, now come
    with a "starter" cartridge which may be as low as 500 pages, and
    then you have to buy a "regular" cartridge. Prices vary, but the
    capacity has also come down!

    I only remember one or two manufacturers who EVER allowed "toner
    refill" and I don't know if they still do. I bought an HP
    LaserJet 6L about 11 years ago and the first cartridge - which
    came WITH the printer - lasted me 8 years! (I print VERY
    little). Those carts have a 5,000 page capacity. The newer laser
    printers do 2,500-3,000 pages IIRC.

    So some nasty "let's make those smartasses who think they can
    deprive us of our profits" scheme involving color laser
    cartridges is certainly a possibility. You just have to do
    research on print quality and cartridge prices. (Another
    advantage of lasers is that they really almost never break down
    - it's just a motor in a plastic box, no micro-jets to clog or
    dry up etc.)

    One good thing is that IIRC all color lasers come with 4
    separate cartridges (CMY and black) so you don't have to replace
    one bigass $200 cartridge when one color goes. But having read
    some of the other replies (that one about a resistor overheating
    once the ink level is low was something else!), I would guess
    anything is possible. Profit before everything else!

    I think paperless-whenever-possible is really the way to go. And
    with the PDF and html formats and a variety of home/office and
    internet file storage options, it is easier then ever.

    If you wait a while, it will /all/ get cheaper - but the
    cartridges will probably keep getting smaller. I wonder what the
    cut-off point will be. I would imagine 2,000 pages as a minimum,
    but in /this/ case, I may actually be an optimist.

    thanatoid, Nov 6, 2008

  3. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    Alfred <> wrote in

    > On 05 Nov 2008 21:32:59 GMT, thanatoid
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Even with color, unless you're just way too rich and/or
    >>obsessed with printing EVERYTHING (weren't computers going
    >>to make the world "paperless"?)

    > The only way you can limit paper is by using more screens.
    > It's the need to refer to other data that makes people
    > print it out.

    There's lots of screens around, as well as networks, and the
    internet. Not to mention resolutions of 2000x1600 or higher are
    not uncommon these days, you can connect more than one monitor
    to a computer and see several different databases at once, and
    there is software using which people can work on the same
    files/documents at once/together even if they're on different
    continents.

    OTOH, the last person I worked for was a moron who insisted in
    printing 30 complete copies of a 100 page document every time 3
    sentences were changed (I am not talking about "oops" revisions
    of the /final/ version, I mean DURING the writing process,
    sometimes printing 5-10 "versions" with a few words'
    difference), so I fully realize "paperless" was just a dream.
    Stupidity always prevails.

    thanatoid, Nov 6, 2008
  4. thanatoid

    joevan Guest

    On 06 Nov 2008 19:27:50 GMT, thanatoid <>
    wrote:

    >Alfred <> wrote in
    >
    >> On 05 Nov 2008 21:32:59 GMT, thanatoid
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Even with color, unless you're just way too rich and/or
    >>>obsessed with printing EVERYTHING (weren't computers going
    >>>to make the world "paperless"?)

    >> The only way you can limit paper is by using more screens.
    >> It's the need to refer to other data that makes people
    >> print it out.

    >There's lots of screens around, as well as networks, and the
    >internet. Not to mention resolutions of 2000x1600 or higher are
    >not uncommon these days, you can connect more than one monitor
    >to a computer and see several different databases at once, and
    >there is software using which people can work on the same
    >files/documents at once/together even if they're on different
    >continents.
    >
    >OTOH, the last person I worked for was a moron who insisted in
    >printing 30 complete copies of a 100 page document every time 3
    >sentences were changed (I am not talking about "oops" revisions
    >of the /final/ version, I mean DURING the writing process,
    >sometimes printing 5-10 "versions" with a few words'
    >difference), so I fully realize "paperless" was just a dream.
    >Stupidity always prevails.

    Lets add the phone companies. Not sure about them all but everybody
    gets 2 or 3 complete phone books. Usually they end up in the recycle
    bin or the trash. I don't think I have looked up a number in the phone
    book for 10 years or so.
    I have seen the books all over where I live and many are just left at
    the curb for some city worker to pick up.
    Anybody else see such where they live? I am in Phila. Pa. and my co.
    is Verizon.
    joevan, Nov 6, 2008
  5. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    Alfred <> wrote in

    > On 06 Nov 2008 19:27:50 GMT, thanatoid
    > <> wrote:

    >>There's lots of screens around, as well as networks, and
    >>the internet. Not to mention resolutions of 2000x1600 or
    >>higher are not uncommon these days, you can connect more
    >>than one monitor to a computer and see several different
    >>databases at once,

    > Most office desks can only hold one monitor and the average
    > monitor struggles to display more than two documents side
    > by side
    >
    > The paperless office is not gonna happen

    I didn't say it WAS going to happen (see last sentence below for
    exactly WHAT I said). I am saying it COULD happen if people
    weren't so old-fashioned or just stupid.

    Actually, it /might/ happen once flexible page-size LCD (or
    something) paper-thin screens are cheaply available, with large
    storage capacity built-in. But that won't be for a while.

    <SNIP>

    thanatoid, Nov 6, 2008
  6. thanatoid

    RobF Guest

    | --
    | "May you live in interesting times."
    | (curse, origin disputed)

    Chinese, ancient.
    RobF, Nov 7, 2008
  7. thanatoid

    Guest

    joevan <> wrote:

    >Lets add the phone companies. Not sure about them all but everybody
    >gets 2 or 3 complete phone books. Usually they end up in the recycle
    >bin or the trash. I don't think I have looked up a number in the phone
    >book for 10 years or so.
    >I have seen the books all over where I live and many are just left at
    >the curb for some city worker to pick up.
    >Anybody else see such where they live? I am in Phila. Pa. and my co.
    >is Verizon.

    Tri-Cities Washington we get two phone books a year, they are in
    competition with each other (ad wise). Verizon is one (We have Qwest
    in our area) and a locally owed & operated one (from the cover) and
    three times the size of the Verizon one.

    Each year they are delivered; one company (locally owed & operated)
    sticks one on every door knob, it can be a pumping station, but it
    will have a phone book in a plastic bag hanging off it's door handle.

    While I do still use a phone book at times - I'm using one two years
    old, been tossing the new ones. I mostly use google to find a number,
    it's just faster, Plus if you need to go to that number, you can get a
    map to it's location.
    --

    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3279/3006416363_95ef8de914_o.jpg
    , Nov 7, 2008
  8. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    "RobF" <> wrote in

    >| --
    >| "May you live in interesting times."
    >| (curse, origin disputed)
    >
    > Chinese, ancient.

    Look it up, that's the commonly attributed origin but no proof
    exists. Earliest recorded use by a European in the 1930's, IIRC.
    I'll admit it SOUNDS oriental philosophy-like, but we'll never
    know.

    thanatoid, Nov 8, 2008