Re: Initializing a new HD???

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Badger, Sep 17, 2009.

  1. Badger

    Badger Guest

    "Sarah Austin" <> wrote in message
    Am I losing my marbles? ( dont answer that :)

    I havent done this in so many years...

    I dug around per your suggestions here and found another EIDE plug tray
    for the front of my old PC, and a 40gb WD400BB in a drawer, still sealed
    in the static bag.

    So cool, I can use it to backup my data before getting the newer computer.

    So I mounted it in the tray, plugged it in, turned on the power key,
    booted the PC again and went into bios setup. Fine, it shows up as the
    slave on the primary IDE channel. Cool.

    Then I start XP and it's not showing up there.

    Needs formatting? Initialization? Something like that?

    So I go to WD's site and look to see if they have a little utility I can
    DL for that. Nope.

    Am I losing my brain? :)

    You have to create a partition on the new drive so as to allocate a drive
    letter to it.
    Do this by going to Start/Settings/Control Panel/Administrative
    Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management.
    You should see in the right hand pane a list of all your hard drives. One of
    them will show as unallocated. Use Tools to create a partition and Windows
    will allocate a drive letter to it. You can then use your new drive.
    Badger

    Badger, Sep 17, 2009