Re: Initializing a new HD???

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Barry OGrady, Sep 5, 2009.

  1. Barry OGrady

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 01:16:11 -0500, Sarah Austin
    <> wrote:

    >Am I losing my marbles? ( dont answer that :)
    >
    >I havent done this in so many years...
    >
    >I dug around per your suggestions here and found another EIDE plug tray
    >for the front of my old PC, and a 40gb WD400BB in a drawer, still sealed
    >in the static bag.
    >
    >So cool, I can use it to backup my data before getting the newer computer.
    >
    >So I mounted it in the tray, plugged it in, turned on the power key,
    >booted the PC again and went into bios setup. Fine, it shows up as the
    >slave on the primary IDE channel. Cool.
    >
    >Then I start XP and it's not showing up there.
    >
    >Needs formatting? Initialization? Something like that?
    >
    >So I go to WD's site and look to see if they have a little utility I can
    >DL for that. Nope.
    >
    >Am I losing my brain? :)

    Boot from the Windows XP install CD. Follow the prompts to install XP
    until you get to the partitioning screen. Delete any partition on the
    new drive then create a partition. Boot Windows from the hard drive
    and you should be able to see and format the drive.

    ==============
    Barry

    Barry OGrady, Sep 5, 2009

  2. Barry OGrady

    John Holmes Guest

    Barry OGrady "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 01:16:11 -0500, Sarah Austin
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Am I losing my marbles? ( dont answer that :)
    >>
    >>I havent done this in so many years...
    >>
    >>I dug around per your suggestions here and found another EIDE plug
    >>tray for the front of my old PC, and a 40gb WD400BB in a drawer, still
    >>sealed in the static bag.
    >>
    >>So cool, I can use it to backup my data before getting the newer
    >>computer.
    >>
    >>So I mounted it in the tray, plugged it in, turned on the power key,
    >>booted the PC again and went into bios setup. Fine, it shows up as the
    >>slave on the primary IDE channel. Cool.
    >>
    >>Then I start XP and it's not showing up there.
    >>
    >>Needs formatting? Initialization? Something like that?
    >>
    >>So I go to WD's site and look to see if they have a little utility I
    >>can DL for that. Nope.
    >>
    >>Am I losing my brain? :)

    > Boot from the Windows XP install CD. Follow the prompts to install XP
    > until you get to the partitioning screen. Delete any partition on the
    > new drive then create a partition. Boot Windows from the hard drive
    > and you should be able to see and format the drive.

    > Barry

    A rejection letter from MENSA wouldn't be too much of a surprise for you
    now, would it?

    --
    When it comes to I.Q. points, you lose them every time you go to the
    bathroom.

    John Holmes, Sep 6, 2009