Re: Infrared photography

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Pat, Sep 25, 2008.

  1. Pat

    Pat Guest

    On Sep 25, 10:44 am, DaveC <> wrote:
    > I want to photograph and video in infrared mode.
    >
    > I understand that some point-and-shoot cameras provide this style of
    > photography/videography. Alternately, some people have "hacked" a camera by
    > removing the IR filter from in front of the imaging element. There are
    > instructions on-line to DIY this, or to send in your P&S to have it done.
    >
    > Basically, the IR filter is removed and replaced with another (not a
    > procedure for the faint at heart). The replacement filter is $$$.
    >
    > My question is this: is this replacement filter that passes rather than
    > blocks IR available as a gelatin or other commonly available filter that I
    > can source elsewhere other than from these camera-mod services?
    >
    > Or can I just strip off the existing filter and not replace it with anything?
    > I'm looking for quantitative data (the existence of IR) not qualitative data
    > (a pretty picture). What function does the replacement filter provide (other
    > than passing IR data)?
    >
    > To clarify, I want to "see" IR images real-time in the viewfinder, not
    > post-process the image data to reveal the IR.
    >
    > If there's another forum you suggest I should ask this question in, please
    > let me know.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > --
    > DaveC
    >
    > This is an invalid return address
    > Please reply in the news group

    There are some good step-by-step instruction out there for removing
    the filter. You can leave the filter off, but IIRC you need to
    replace it with small shims to keep everything in place.

    If you use a IR filter, you then have to have extraordinary long
    exposures because you still have the IR filter in place taking out
    most of the IR.

    The other option is to just buy the right camera, something like the
    old Canon EOS 20Da. The "a" designates it as a astronomy camera and
    it doesn't have the filter. I think it's been discontinued but you
    can probably find one if you sniff around.

    If you go IR, you might also want to buy an older lens. Some of the
    older ones had an IR mark on the focus ring so you could adjust the IR
    focus (which isn't the same as the visible light focus).

    Pat, Sep 25, 2008

  2. Pat

    nospam Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Pat <> wrote:

    > The other option is to just buy the right camera, something like the
    > old Canon EOS 20Da. The "a" designates it as a astronomy camera and
    > it doesn't have the filter. I think it's been discontinued but you
    > can probably find one if you sniff around.

    or the fuji uv/ir camera

    > If you go IR, you might also want to buy an older lens. Some of the
    > older ones had an IR mark on the focus ring so you could adjust the IR
    > focus (which isn't the same as the visible light focus).

    that helps too

    nospam, Sep 25, 2008

  3. Pat

    Guest

    In rec.photo.digital Pat <> wrote:

    | There are some good step-by-step instruction out there for removing
    | the filter. You can leave the filter off, but IIRC you need to
    | replace it with small shims to keep everything in place.
    |
    | If you use a IR filter, you then have to have extraordinary long
    | exposures because you still have the IR filter in place taking out
    | most of the IR.
    |
    | The other option is to just buy the right camera, something like the
    | old Canon EOS 20Da. The "a" designates it as a astronomy camera and
    | it doesn't have the filter. I think it's been discontinued but you
    | can probably find one if you sniff around.
    |
    | If you go IR, you might also want to buy an older lens. Some of the
    | older ones had an IR mark on the focus ring so you could adjust the IR
    | focus (which isn't the same as the visible light focus).

    Or you can pay someone else to do the conversion for you:

    http://www.lifepixel.com/
    http://www.spencerscamera.com/

    , Sep 26, 2008