Re: Infrared photography

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jürgen Exner, Sep 25, 2008.

  1. DaveC <> wrote:
    >I'm looking for quantitative data (the existence of IR) not qualitative data
    >(a pretty picture).

    Isn't that the other way round?
    Qualitative meaning just yes/no while quantitative in addition tells you
    how much, e.g. darker or lighter on a b/w IR-image or
    blue/green/yellow/red/white on a color IR-image?

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Sep 25, 2008

  2. OT: qualitative/quantitative (WAS: Infrared photography)

    DaveC <> wrote:
    >> Isn't that the other way round?
    >> Qualitative meaning just yes/no while quantitative in addition tells you
    >> how much, e.g. darker or lighter on a b/w IR-image or
    >> blue/green/yellow/red/white on a color IR-image?

    >Quantitative: does it exist? do we have presence or absence? 0 or >0?
    >Qualitative: what are its qualities?

    That is opposite to what I learned in science, especially in chemistry.

    There a qualitative analysis tells you _which_ components are present in
    a sample (yes/no).
    And a quantitative analysis tells you _how much_ (what quantity) of each
    component can be found.

    Wikipedia seems to support this view:
    "A quantitative attribute is one that exists in a range of magnitudes,
    and can therefore be measured. Measurements of any particular
    quantitative property are expressed as a specific quantity, referred to
    as a unit, multiplied by a number. Examples of physical quantities are
    distance, mass, and time."

    >Please let's not detour into this realm. Those who want to discuss
    >quantitative vs. qualitative please start another thread...

    Ooops :). "Subject" adjusted as requested.

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Sep 25, 2008

  3. Jürgen Exner

    Guest

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 08:58:06 -0700, in rec.photo.digital DaveC
    <> wrote:

    >But to define in other terms, I want images that show the existence of IR
    >wavelengths. If it's not a pretty picture, that's OK.

    What you will possibly do is show that your camera will be able to or
    not detect IR, not whether it exists.
    , Sep 25, 2008