Re: Info format proble,

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Ragnar, Sep 15, 2008.

  1. Ragnar

    Ragnar Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi, perhaps I will have to format but before I'd like to do an update
    > from CD (Win XP Pro). When I insert the CD and go on, in the blue
    > screening I see these writings: is it not possible to install 2 OS in
    > the same partition.
    > Why have I this problem? I like to update only.
    > thanks for your news.

    Sounds as though you are using an Install CD which may be OK for an UPGRADE
    but is not what you need for an UPDATE. They are different things. Can you
    be clearer?

    R.

    Ragnar, Sep 15, 2008

  2. Ragnar

    sandy58 Guest

    On Sep 15, 3:43 pm, wrote:
    > I'm sorry for my bad english.
    > However I'd like to install Win XP on Win XP without format.
    > I hope I am clear now.
    > thanks
    >
    > >Sounds as though you are using an Install CD which may be OK for an UPGRADE
    > >but is not what you need for an UPDATE. They are different things. Can you
    > >be clearer?

    Penso che desideriate riparare Windows XP? Così quando convincete la
    scelta “per riparare„ l'introito esso. Spero che questo aiuti.
    Buona fortuna.

    sandy58, Sep 15, 2008

  3. Ragnar

    Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > I'm sorry for my bad english.
    > However I'd like to install Win XP on Win XP without format.
    > I hope I am clear now.
    > thanks

    Fogar, you're not telling us the whole story. In Italian, you
    tell the people here, that you have "HP Pavillon 1450". The considerations
    for fixing it, are different than for your other computer (the
    one we were working on recently). You should provide the
    same background information in English, as in your Italian posting,
    when asking the question, if this is indeed the same computer
    as in the Italian posting.

    http://groups.google.ca/group/it.comp.aiuto/browse_frm/thread/96e138855a90af17/18630b6b0fbf4a0e

    If you have a virus, you should be able to use the "restoration"
    function of the HP computer. The HP computer has a backup
    copy of the OS, hidden from view. When you press a function
    key at startup time, then the HP computer can restore the
    OS to its original, factory condition. Therefore, read
    your manual!

    There are two things to know about the HP computer.

    1) When the HP computer is delivered to your house, you
    burn "recovery" CDs or DVDs. The HP computer has the
    ability to burn a set of CDs or DVDs, which make a
    backup copy of the recovery partition. The CDs or DVDs
    are to be used, if your hard drive is ever broken or
    ruined. You *must* prepare the CDs or DVDs, in order to
    be prepared for any possible, future hardware problems
    with the computer. After a certain period of time,
    HP will provide no help on this matter. So this is
    your first priority as an HP customer - make the CDs !

    The HP software will only allow the making of one set
    of recovery media. Therefore, make sure the HP burner
    is functioning correctly and perfectly, before burning
    the only set of media they will allow you to make. Buy
    a package of CDs at the store, and make a test data CD
    with a new CD. Then make sure the CD is perfectly
    readable. If the test CD cannot be read in other computers,
    it could be that the burns are not good quality. Solve
    the burn quality problem first, before making the
    recovery CDs (or DVDs). And use good quality media.

    2) The HP hard drive, has a recovery partition on the drive.
    Pressing a function key, allows complete restoration of the
    C: drive. But what it will do, is erase everything. Do not
    use that function, if you have data files on the C: drive.
    The HP restoration function is like "nuclear war", it
    erases everything. It is *not* the same as a WinXP
    "repair install".

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Sep 15, 2008
  4. Ragnar

    John Holmes Guest

    "contributed" in alt.computer:

> [...]
    >> of recovery media. Therefore, make sure the HP burner
    >> is functioning correctly and perfectly, before burning
    >> the only set of media they will allow you to make. Buy
    >> a package of CDs at the store, and make a test data CD
    >> with a new CD. Then make sure the CD is perfectly
    >> readable. If the test CD cannot be read in other computers,
    >> it could be that the burns are not good quality. Solve
    >> the burn quality problem first, before making the
    >> recovery CDs (or DVDs). And use good quality media.
    >>
    >>2) The HP hard drive, has a recovery partition on the drive.
    >> Pressing a function key, allows complete restoration of the
    >> C: drive. But what it will do, is erase everything. Do not
    >> use that function, if you have data files on the C: drive.
    >> The HP restoration function is like "nuclear war", it
    >> erases everything. It is *not* the same as a WinXP

    Did you mean a repair install? Go here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/do
    ug92.mspx

    or: http://preview.tinyurl.com/6l9sm

    HTH

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Sep 15, 2008
  5. Ragnar

    Paul Guest

    John Holmes wrote:
> [...]
    >>> of recovery media. Therefore, make sure the HP burner
    >>> is functioning correctly and perfectly, before burning
    >>> the only set of media they will allow you to make. Buy
    >>> a package of CDs at the store, and make a test data CD
    >>> with a new CD. Then make sure the CD is perfectly
    >>> readable. If the test CD cannot be read in other computers,
    >>> it could be that the burns are not good quality. Solve
    >>> the burn quality problem first, before making the
    >>> recovery CDs (or DVDs). And use good quality media.
    >>>
    >>> 2) The HP hard drive, has a recovery partition on the drive.
    >>> Pressing a function key, allows complete restoration of the
    >>> C: drive. But what it will do, is erase everything. Do not
    >>> use that function, if you have data files on the C: drive.
    >>> The HP restoration function is like "nuclear war", it
    >>> erases everything. It is *not* the same as a WinXP

    His partitions look something like this. D: is the recovery partition.
    C: would be the boot drive. If he wiped out D:, then the recovery partition
    would be gone. In which case, there may be a way to put everything
    back, using the recovery CD or DVD burned when the computer
    was new. If he hasn't prepared the recovery CD/DVD, then there
    may not be a way to put D: back the way it was (short of
    ordering the set of recovery CDs or DVDs, from HP for
    $50 or so).

    http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/5503/diskmgmtp7.jpg

    His question boils down to having some version of OS on C:,
    then taking a retail WinXP CD and trying to do a repair install
    on C:. The installer instead asks if he wants to format C:
    or something like that. Now, the HP Pavilion a1450n could be
    a Media Center PC, in which case the OS is not exactly going
    to be the same as some WinXP retail CD he happens to grab
    for this experiment. At this point, it isn't clear to me,
    what OS is on C:, and why the WinXP install CD is going to
    be happy to work with whatever is currently on C:.

    I expect the only thing that is really wrong with the
    machine, is the interface to the disk is running in PIO
    mode, due to CRC errors. This would have been relatively
    easy to fix, if that was the case, but now it is too late
    to investigate whether this was the problem.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817472

    I wonder if the machine is still bootable ?

    Paul

    Paul, Sep 15, 2008