Re: I'm a bit confused

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Patrick Michael, Dec 27, 2004.

  1. "LadyTech" <nomailplease@invalid.4myprivacy.com> wrote in message
    >I have a computer that I need to add a CD-RW to...
    >
    > Here is their configuration:
    >
    > Hard drive is on the primary IDE port as the primary Master... it's on
    > it's own connection.
    >
    > The CD-ROM drive is on the secondary IDE port as the secondary
    > Master.... this is also on it's own connection.
    >
    > Wouldn't it be best if I connected the CD-ROM drive to the hard drive
    > and made the CD-ROM drive the primary slave and then put the cd burner
    > on it's own on the secondary IDE port and made it the secondary
    > Master?

    I'd just make the CD-RW the secondary master, and the CD-ROM the secondary
    slave. Depending on the length of your IDE cables and the placement of the
    drives in the case, it might be hard (if not impossible) to connect an
    optical drive and a hard drive on the same cable/channel.

    I'd save the space on the primary slave for a future hard drive, as the
    primary might be the only channel with an 80-pin ribbon, which again depends
    on how your system is set up.

    > Also, I'm a bit confused about the audio cable... how would I connect
    > an audio cable to the cd burner from the sound card if the CD-ROM
    > drive is using the audio cable? I mean do they have audio cables with
    > the Y so that I can connect them both? I actually never thought of
    > this...

    I wouldn't really worry about it too much. You can just set the drive to
    "enable digital CD audio for this CD-ROM device" in the device manager. I
    believe this is enabled by default anyway. Some soundcards might have 2 or
    more analog inputs, but I don't even bother to connect them on any of the
    systems I built for myself. I'm surprised drives even come with them any
    more

    Patrick Michael, Dec 27, 2004

  2. Patrick Michael

    me Guest

    I would connect the cdrw as the secondary master, the cdrom as the secondary
    slave and connect the audio cable directly to the cdrw.

    thats how I do it anyway.

    me, Dec 28, 2004

  3. On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 14:02:09 -0500, "LadyTech"
    <nomailplease@invalid.4myprivacy.com> wrote:

    >"Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message
    >> You can put an 80 conductor cable on the secondary channel.

    >However,
    >> the data rate from optical drives -- even DVD drives -- isn't high
    >> enough to make this an issue.
    >>
    >> By the way, on the other point, you SHOULD NOT try to use a "Y"

    >cable
    >> for the analog audio connections. You would be connecting two

    >outputs
    >> together, with undesireable results and possibly even damage.
    >>

    >Nope I wasn't going to do it that way anyway with a "Y" cable. I am
    >going to connect it to the burner instead of the CD-ROM drive...
    >logical thinking made me think about the connecting two outputs
    >together more than likely WOULD make undesireable results so I wasn't
    >going to do it that way.
    >
    >I haven't had time to install the burner yet because everytime I make
    >plans to do it something at home comes up.... my bird was sick and he
    >comes first :)

    Budgie?

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Dec 30, 2004
  4. On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 16:41:18 -0500, "LadyTech"
    <nomailplease@invalid.4myprivacy.com> wrote:

    >"Tom MacIntyre" <> wrote in message

    >> >I haven't had time to install the burner yet because everytime I

    >make
    >> >plans to do it something at home comes up.... my bird was sick and

    >he
    >> >comes first :)
    >> >

    >> Budgie?
    >>
    >> Tom

    >Cockatiel....

    How's he/she doing? We have had budgies, and they are quite fragile,
    especially their respiratory systems.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Dec 31, 2004
  5. On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 16:33:07 -0500, "LadyTech"
    <nomailplease@invalid.4myprivacy.com> wrote:

    >"Tom MacIntyre" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 16:41:18 -0500, "LadyTech"
    >> <nomailplease@invalid.4myprivacy.com> wrote:

    >> >make

    >and
    >> >he

    >> >Cockatiel....
    >> >

    >> How's he/she doing? We have had budgies, and they are quite fragile,
    >> especially their respiratory systems.
    >>
    >> Tom

    >I left you a post just below... it says "Re: I'm a bit confused/
    >Tom"..... He's doing fine... I thought he was losing his feathers due
    >to a disease or he was feather plucking... it was neither.... he was
    >moulting *LOL*. I've had Budgies and Cockatiels before, but they never
    >lost the feathers like this one did. I took him to the Vet the next
    >day.... Yes they are very fragile... I don't allow smoking in my house
    >:)

    We had two budgies awhile back...massive rain and basement flooding
    one day, followed by mould infestation. I don't need to tell you the
    rest, and they weren't even in the basement.. :-(

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Dec 31, 2004
  6. On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 17:36:48 -0500, "LadyTech"
    <nomailplease@invalid.4myprivacy.com> wrote:

    >"Tom MacIntyre" <> wrote in message
    >> We had two budgies awhile back...massive rain and basement flooding
    >> one day, followed by mould infestation. I don't need to tell you the
    >> rest, and they weren't even in the basement.. :-(
    >>
    >> Tom

    >That's too bad.... I guess you always have to be careful about
    >everything.... here we have to deal with the cold weather and some
    >people just leaving the door open too long when they come into the
    >house.... cold drafts.

    Strange though...the same 2 budgies were left in an unheated house for
    about 24 hours (we were moving, it was late November, and we were hit
    by a huge snowstorm overnight), and survived...the power was out for
    24 or more hours, and we ended up only losing 2 of 30+ fish in an
    aquarium. The house was about 5 degrees Celsius or lower by the time I
    could get back. There they were, with their feathers all fluffed out,
    not knowing that another foe would claim them in less than a year.

    >I think I may have fixed the ASPI layer problem because after what I
    >did, I don't get the wsnaspi32.dll error anymore. I went into Add New
    >Hardware and then installed a scsi host adapter from the Win98 CD
    >after that I then installed an upgrade for the ASPI layer that I
    >downloaded earlier.... it all works, except now I have a yellow
    >exclamation mark in my device manager under scsi controller, probably
    >because there actually isn't a scsi controller *LOL*... At least now
    >everything works :)

    Thanks for getting us back on-topic. :)

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jan 1, 2005