Re: Ihug/Vodafone Newsserver to be shut down at the end of the month

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Ray Greene, Apr 24, 2011.

  1. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 22:43:23 +1200, Kiwi <> wrote:

    >The Ihug news server has not peered with the outside world since 5th
    >April. I rang the helpdesk and after a long time on hold was told "it
    >will be shut down at the end of the month."
    >
    >Anyone that subcribes to nz usenet groups via ihug/vodafone should
    >find an alterantive source soon.
    >
    >Cheers, Kiwi


    I've been using Eternal September since the Vodafone server packed up
    but while it's good, it's noticeably slower downloading headers and
    messages. The response from the Vodafone server was almost instant,
    obviously having a server located in New Zealand gives a big speed
    advantage.

    I've tried AIOE, Teranews, Albasani and Freenews but they're all
    slower than ES.

    Does anyone know of a faster free news server?

    --
    Ray Greene
    Ray Greene, Apr 24, 2011
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Ray Greene

    Donchano Guest

    On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 15:43:18 +1200, Ray Greene <> shouted
    from the highest rooftop:

    >Does anyone know of a faster free news server?


    Test only: individual.net (10 euros per year)

    Text and binaries: Astraweb (I bought a 180gig block last year for
    USD25 and haven't used it yet.

    Both greased lightening. But as someone else mentioned, it all depends
    on your ISP connection speed.
    Donchano, Apr 25, 2011
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Ray Greene

    Msgr Scooter Guest

    On , , Sun, 24 Apr 2011 15:43:18 +1200, Re: Ihug/Vodafone Newsserver to be shut
    down at the end of the month, Ray Greene <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 22:43:23 +1200, Kiwi <> wrote:
    >
    >>The Ihug news server has not peered with the outside world since 5th
    >>April. I rang the helpdesk and after a long time on hold was told "it
    >>will be shut down at the end of the month."
    >>
    >>Anyone that subcribes to nz usenet groups via ihug/vodafone should
    >>find an alterantive source soon.
    >>
    >>Cheers, Kiwi

    >
    >I've been using Eternal September since the Vodafone server packed up
    >but while it's good, it's noticeably slower downloading headers and
    >messages. The response from the Vodafone server was almost instant,
    >obviously having a server located in New Zealand gives a big speed
    >advantage.
    >
    >I've tried AIOE, Teranews, Albasani and Freenews but they're all
    >slower than ES.
    >
    >Does anyone know of a faster free news server?


    I have been using ET since Clear shut down it's NNTP server and had no problems
    at all. I believe it was even faster than Clears service but that could be a
    "golden past" memory, like it was always sunny when I was a child and everything
    was cheaper and lasted longer.
    But I have had no problems with it that I can remember.

    --
    "The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor
    to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."
    Anatole France.
    Msgr Scooter, Apr 25, 2011
    #3
  4. Ray Greene

    Donchano Guest

    On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 20:46:08 +1200, Donchano
    <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >
    >On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 15:43:18 +1200, Ray Greene <> shouted
    >from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >>Does anyone know of a faster free news server?

    >
    >Test only: individual.net (10 euros per year)
    >
    >Text and binaries: Astraweb (I bought a 180gig block last year for
    >USD25 and haven't used it yet.
    >
    >Both greased lightening. But as someone else mentioned, it all depends
    >on your ISP connection speed.


    Sorry ... I missed the "free" part. I tried out eternal-september.org
    for a short time. Compared to individual.net it was very
    disappointing. Slow, inconsistent and not all that reliable. You get
    what you pay for.
    Donchano, Apr 25, 2011
    #4
  5. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 19:23:43 +1200, EMB <> wrote:

    >On 24/04/2011 3:43 p.m., Ray Greene wrote:
    >> On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 22:43:23 +1200, Kiwi<> wrote:
    >>
    >>> The Ihug news server has not peered with the outside world since 5th
    >>> April. I rang the helpdesk and after a long time on hold was told "it
    >>> will be shut down at the end of the month."
    >>>
    >>> Anyone that subcribes to nz usenet groups via ihug/vodafone should
    >>> find an alterantive source soon.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers, Kiwi

    >>
    >> I've been using Eternal September since the Vodafone server packed up
    >> but while it's good, it's noticeably slower downloading headers and
    >> messages. The response from the Vodafone server was almost instant,
    >> obviously having a server located in New Zealand gives a big speed
    >> advantage.
    >>
    >> I've tried AIOE, Teranews, Albasani and Freenews but they're all
    >> slower than ES.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of a faster free news server?
    >>

    >Not free, but news.datemas.de (webpage on same URL) is cheap and works ok.


    I'll give them a try if I can work out how to get the free trial they
    mention on the front page. I can probably manage five euro a year if I
    live frugally :)

    --
    Ray Greene
    Ray Greene, Apr 26, 2011
    #5
  6. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 19:30:22 +1200, "geoff" <>
    wrote:

    >Ray Greene wrote:
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of a faster free news server?

    >
    >Never had a problem with speed on Giganews, but NTTP speed is most affected
    >by your ISP's traffic shaping.


    I don't know if Vodafone do that but I'll try some more news servers
    and see how they perform.

    --
    Ray Greene
    Ray Greene, Apr 26, 2011
    #6
  7. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 10:34:29 +1200, Donchano
    <> wrote:

    >
    >On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 20:46:08 +1200, Donchano
    ><> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >>
    >>On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 15:43:18 +1200, Ray Greene <> shouted
    >>from the highest rooftop:
    >>
    >>>Does anyone know of a faster free news server?

    >>
    >>Test only: individual.net (10 euros per year)
    >>
    >>Text and binaries: Astraweb (I bought a 180gig block last year for
    >>USD25 and haven't used it yet.
    >>
    >>Both greased lightening. But as someone else mentioned, it all depends
    >>on your ISP connection speed.

    >
    >Sorry ... I missed the "free" part. I tried out eternal-september.org
    >for a short time. Compared to individual.net it was very
    >disappointing. Slow, inconsistent and not all that reliable. You get
    >what you pay for.


    No worries, I would consider paying ten euros a year if it performed
    well.

    I'm not as impressed with ES now as I was before, I sent a message
    yesterday and it seems to have got lost in the post. I never had
    happen that with IHUG's server.

    --
    Ray Greene
    Ray Greene, Apr 26, 2011
    #7
  8. Ray Greene

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    d, Donchano says...
    >
    > On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 20:46:08 +1200, Donchano
    > <> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    > >
    > >On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 15:43:18 +1200, Ray Greene <> shouted
    > >from the highest rooftop:
    > >
    > >>Does anyone know of a faster free news server?

    > >
    > >Test only: individual.net (10 euros per year)
    > >
    > >Text and binaries: Astraweb (I bought a 180gig block last year for
    > >USD25 and haven't used it yet.
    > >
    > >Both greased lightening. But as someone else mentioned, it all depends
    > >on your ISP connection speed.

    >
    > Sorry ... I missed the "free" part. I tried out eternal-september.org
    > for a short time. Compared to individual.net it was very
    > disappointing. Slow, inconsistent and not all that reliable. You get
    > what you pay for.


    It's slow, fer sure. But it's not inconsistent nor unreliable. On that
    regard it's better than any usenet server from any NZ ISP I've ever
    used.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Apr 26, 2011
    #8
  9. Ray Greene

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-04-26, Ray Greene <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 10:34:29 +1200, Donchano
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>Sorry ... I missed the "free" part. I tried out eternal-september.org
    >>for a short time. Compared to individual.net it was very
    >>disappointing. Slow, inconsistent and not all that reliable. You get
    >>what you pay for.

    >
    > No worries, I would consider paying ten euros a year if it performed
    > well.


    I have been with News.Individual.NET for 5 plus years now. There are some
    things the Germans are go at. Machinery is one of them, a Usenet server is
    nothing more than a machine which runs in the 21st century.

    Ten euros per year, $1.50 NZ per week. A copy of the daily paper costs this
    per day, darn near.
    Gordon, Apr 28, 2011
    #9
  10. Ray Greene

    David Empson Guest

    Gordon <> wrote:

    > On 2011-04-26, Ray Greene <> wrote:
    > > On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 10:34:29 +1200, Donchano
    > ><> wrote:
    > >
    > >>
    > >>Sorry ... I missed the "free" part. I tried out eternal-september.org
    > >>for a short time. Compared to individual.net it was very
    > >>disappointing. Slow, inconsistent and not all that reliable. You get
    > >>what you pay for.

    > >
    > > No worries, I would consider paying ten euros a year if it performed
    > > well.

    >
    > I have been with News.Individual.NET for 5 plus years now. There are some
    > things the Germans are go at. Machinery is one of them, a Usenet server is
    > nothing more than a machine which runs in the 21st century.
    >
    > Ten euros per year, $1.50 NZ per week. A copy of the daily paper costs this
    > per day, darn near.


    I think you meant to say NZ$1.50 per month. (NZ$0.35 per week, NZ$0.05
    per day.)

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Apr 28, 2011
    #10
  11. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On 28 Apr 2011 06:08:07 GMT, Gordon <> wrote:

    >On 2011-04-26, Ray Greene <> wrote:
    >> On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 10:34:29 +1200, Donchano
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>
    >>>Sorry ... I missed the "free" part. I tried out eternal-september.org
    >>>for a short time. Compared to individual.net it was very
    >>>disappointing. Slow, inconsistent and not all that reliable. You get
    >>>what you pay for.

    >>
    >> No worries, I would consider paying ten euros a year if it performed
    >> well.

    >
    >I have been with News.Individual.NET for 5 plus years now. There are some
    >things the Germans are go at. Machinery is one of them, a Usenet server is
    >nothing more than a machine which runs in the 21st century.
    >
    >Ten euros per year, $1.50 NZ per week. A copy of the daily paper costs this
    >per day, darn near.


    I've got a trial with them and their server is a lot faster than ES. I
    guess having an income helps to pay for faster servers. I've requested
    a trial from datemas as well and I'll see how they compare.

    --
    Ray Greene
    Ray Greene, Apr 28, 2011
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. BRight777
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    552
    BRight777
    Aug 6, 2006
  2. BRight777
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    578
    BRight777
    Aug 6, 2006
  3. Dave Doe
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    473
    Ralph Fox
    Apr 11, 2008
  4. Katipo
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    437
    Geopelia
    Apr 10, 2008
  5. Rhino

    Goodbye To The Vodafone/Ihug Newsserver

    Rhino, Jun 5, 2011, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    724
    Frank Williams
    Jun 6, 2011
Loading...

Share This Page