Re: If anyone has some spare time for a website check ...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ron Hunter, Jul 10, 2003.

  1. Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Michael Stevens wrote:

    > On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 05:11:46 -0500, Ron Hunter <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Hey, feel free to ignore the advice, but consider that you DID ask, and
    >>we DID answer. Reminds me of my wife who asks me a question, then
    >>argues with my answer. Sigh.

    > Yes, I did ask but did not get much "constructive" criticism. Most
    > everyone wants the Flash gone (not gonna happen) and many of
    > responders didn't even bother to view the site, yourself apparently
    > included. If someone refuses to even look at it I don't see how I can
    > give their "criticism" any value.
    >
    > I know I'll wind up toning it down some but making a static page is,
    > to me anyway, senseless when we can do so much more with the web.

    > http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
    > ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

    No, I did NOT view the site as I don't have flash on my browser. That
    pretty much renders the site unviewable, now doesn't it?
    It appears you consider the web to be for passing time, and
    entertainment. Not what I am about.
    Ron Hunter, Jul 10, 2003

  2. Ron Hunter

    ralford Guest

    Isn't there is some advice about mud wrestling and pigs?

    cheers,

    rma

    News==----

    ralford, Jul 10, 2003

  3. Ron Hunter

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <>, Michael Stevens
    <bigmikeatbigmikesdotorg> says...
    > If that's not what you are about I'm fine with that. To me that's what
    > the web is about: entertainment. Probably 7 out of 10 times I get
    > online it's for some type of mindless entertainment.

    Ah, that makes much more sense then. It goes a long way to explain why
    you designed the page in the way that you did. If the internet is
    entertainment for you, that's fine. But you need to understand that for
    most people, it's about information. If they go to your site looking for
    information and get entertainment, you'll lose them very quickly. You
    need to decide if you are writing the page for yourself or for your
    potential customers. If you are doing it for yourself, then Flash it up
    all you want. You can reload it and admire your handy work as often as
    you want. If however you are doing it for others, you need to realize
    why they are coming there in the first place and it's not to see your
    Flash skills in action. It's to see your photos. If the Flash gets in
    the way of their purpose for being there, then it is a badly designed
    site.

    It's kinda like being a radio DJ. You can play SOME of the music you
    like but most of it needs to be what your audience likes so you can keep
    them tuned into your station. Keep your favorite music for listening to
    on your own time :)

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker
    Todd Walker, Jul 10, 2003
  4. On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 19:48:22 GMT, Todd Walker <>
    wrote:

    >... It's to see your photos. If the Flash gets in
    >the way of their purpose for being there, then it is a badly designed
    >site.

    And that's what I'm working on. Some type of compromise that will show
    my photos in an entertaining or impressive way without being too
    cumbersome. Apparently, I'm not there yet.

    Michael Stevens, Jul 15, 2003