Re: IE8 64-bit

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by PA Bear [MS MVP], Sep 13, 2009.

  1. [[Forwarded to Win64bit General via crosspost]]

    PA Bear [MS MVP], Sep 13, 2009

  2. IE8 64-bit can be the default browser but since there is no 64-bit Flash
    plug-in sites using Flash will not display correctly.

    There will be a 64-bit Flash sometime. See
    http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/000/6b3af6c9.html. It is low priority for Adobe
    because browsers gain little from converting to 64-bit so they are
    concentrating efforts on the applications which gain most.

    Dominic Payer, Sep 13, 2009

  3. PA Bear [MS MVP]

    Jim Wood Guest

    Could someone explain the symptom of this failure, please? I'm running Vista
    64 and IE8 and, as far as I know, have no problem with Flash playback. Can
    someone reference a Website where this does NOT work for them and I can give
    it a try. Thanks.

    Jim Wood, Oct 3, 2009
  4. PA Bear [MS MVP]

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 03/10/2009 in message
    <> Jim Wood wrote:

    >Could someone explain the symptom of this failure, please? I'm running
    >Vista
    >64 and IE8 and, as far as I know, have no problem with Flash playback. Can
    >someone reference a Website where this does NOT work for them and I can
    >give
    >it a try. Thanks.

    You may be running Vista 64 but if Flash works then you're running IE8 32
    bit. Try Flash sites with 64 bit IE.

    --
    Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.
    Jeff Gaines, Oct 3, 2009
  5. PA Bear [MS MVP]

    Jim Wood Guest

    Thanks, Jeff,

    I understand now. Evidently not relevant to my current operation and
    surfing experience (dude!); I'll stick with what's working and depend on you
    clever fellows to prompt a fix by the time I get there.

    Jim Wood, Oct 3, 2009
  6. PA Bear [MS MVP]

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Jim.

    If Flash is working for you, then click Help | About Internet Explorer. If
    it doesn't SAY 64-bit edition, then you are running 32-bit IE, even if you
    are running 64-bit Windows - whatever version of IE (6, 7 or 8) or of
    Windows (WinXP, Vista or Win7).

    And if you want Adobe's statement on the subject, just read their TechNote:
    Flash Player support on 64-bit operating systems
    http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/000/6b3af6c9.html

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Oct 4, 2009
  7. PA Bear [MS MVP]

    Jim Wood Guest

    Thanks, R.C.,

    Yes, I'm evidently running the 32-bit edition of IE8. The 64-bit must
    have some advantages, but IE is so much quicker under Vista 64 on this
    computer than I've ever experienced before, that I'm as happy as the
    proverbial clam as-is.
    Thanks to you and all the other guys who provide all the good help and
    tips to us novices.

    Jim

    Jim Wood, Oct 4, 2009