Re: IE6 won't use wireless card [was XP wireless not working]

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by smlunatick, May 13, 2008.

  1. smlunatick

    smlunatick Guest

    On May 12, 10:34 pm, George Neuner <gneuner2/@/comcast.net> wrote:
    > Thanks to everyone who responded to the last thread.  I finally
    > discovered that the Netgear Super-G card was intermittently failing
    > and probably just happened to work when I tried it in another
    > computer.
    >
    > I replaced the failing card with a new one, but now I have a new
    > problem.  IE6 refuses to work with the card unless my office VPN is
    > active.  I tried asking in IE6 specific forums, but after a few days
    > I've gotten no useful answers so I thought I'd try here.
    >
    > The situation is this: my office laptop has built-in 11b radio, but at
    > home I have a Netgear Super-G network so I use a WG511T card instead.
    > The laptop also has a Cisco VPN set up by office IT.  Normally, I
    > should be able to use either radio, use my own network with the VPN
    > disabled (and IE proxy settings disabled) and then connect the VPN to
    > use my office network.  This is the way I used my old Netgear card and
    > it still works the same with the built-in 11b radio.
    >
    > However, with the new Netgear card, IE6 won't work unless the VPN is
    > connected.  When the VPN is disabled, all I get is "can't display page
    > - can't find server or DNS error" regardless of proxy settings.  I get
    > the same error even if I type the server's address manually so it
    > seems like IE6 isn't even trying.
    >
    > Other net apps (Outlook, ftp, ping, trace, nslookup) are working
    > normally regardless of the VPN - when VPN is connected they route
    > through my office, otherwise they route through my home network and
    > ISP.  Only IE6 demands the VPN be active.
    >
    > I can't find any settings different between the connection using the
    > new card and the one using the built-in radio - both are configured
    > through DHCP from my router and the settings all appear to be correct.
    > Naturally the routing tables all change when the VPN is active.  All
    > the IE6 settings appear to be the same regardless of connection.  I've
    > tried uninstalling/reinstalling the Netgear card, flushing the DNS and
    > browser caches when the card is in use, enabling/disabling the IE6
    > proxy settings, etc.  Nothing has worked.  IE6 seems to be completely
    > ignoring the proxy settings and just expecting the VPN all the time.
    >
    > There don't seem to be any settings for specific connections or
    > devices in the Cisco VPN - it seems to just take over everything when
    > it's active.
    >
    > I don't have any way of reinstalling IE6 (or anything else).  Is there
    > something I can check in the registry or in some setup file(s)?  Any
    > other thoughts or suggestions?  At this point I'm completely baffled.
    >
    > George
    > --
    > for email reply remove "/" from address

    It sounds like your laptop is configured to only use the Internet
    service that your "office" is set up for. Check the DNS servers
    settings, whoich might be entered in the Network Connections
    smlunatick, May 13, 2008

  2. smlunatick

    smlunatick Guest

    On May 13, 12:32 pm, George Neuner <gneuner2/@/comcast.net> wrote:
    > On Tue, 13 May 2008 06:16:33 -0700 (PDT), smlunatick
    >
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >It sounds like your laptop is configured to only use the Internet
    > >service that your "office" is set up for.  Check the DNS servers
    > >settings, whoich might be entered in the Network Connections

    > Hi,
    >
    > Thanks for responding.  I've checked DNS settings - all connections
    > are configured through DHCP.  The VPN takes over all routing when
    > enabled, but when it's disabled the connection settings are correct
    > for my home router.
    >
    > What's confusing me is that everything worked as expected with the old
    > Netgear Super-G card ... but now that I have a new card, IE alone
    > refuses to use it while all my other network apps work as before.  And
    > everything, including IE, works as before using the internal 11b
    > radio.  I can't figure out why there is a difference with the new
    > hardware.
    >
    > George
    > --
    > for email reply remove "/" from address

    Have you consider trying to use your "old" 11b adapter, as a test?

    Did you "uninstall" the odle Netgear drivers from the PC?
    smlunatick, May 13, 2008

  3. Hi
    It is a little hard to seriously trash something when there is Millions
    using it and it works for them.
    No software is perfect, and neither are users.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., May 14, 2008