Re: IE has stopped working

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Robert Aldwinckle, Apr 2, 2007.

  1. (cross-post added to 64bit General)
    "Scott Adams" <> wrote in message

    > Frank --
    >
    > Same problem.

    Not at all, even though the OP didn't bother disclosing the OS.

    > here is my situation...
    >
    > Vista Ultimate 64-bit
    > IE 7.0.6000.16386
    > Fresh install on formatted drive this morning
    > Updated all updates (except language packs) through Windows Update
    > Clicking the IE Icon brings up "IE has stopped" error.
    > If I go into Control Panel and REST all internet options, then IE will open.
    > But, often reverts back after just one or two sessions.
    >
    > Problem Details from Control Panel:
    >
    > Problem signature
    > Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    > Application Name: iexplore.exe
    > Application Version: 7.0.6000.16386
    > Application Timestamp: 4549b133
    > Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll

    Crashes in low level modules like this often are symptoms of incompatible
    modules further down the call stack. In 32-bit NT you could look in drwtsn32.log
    for clues about that. I don't know how to tell from this error signature
    if the iexplore.exe running was a 32-bit program or a 64-bit program.
    Perhaps the module version information tells us that?

    Also, before NT, Windows had drwatson.log and thus NT had
    to differentiate logs for dumps in 32 bit programs by putting them
    in drwtsn32.log instead. Perhaps 64-bit programs dump in
    drwtsn64.log now? <eg>

    Another way to get stack information supposedly is to be running
    ProcMon when you reproduce the symptom. The trace record
    for the crash event would be expanded to see the stack.
    Best information from the stack requires the use of symbols
    but just having module names, especially third-party ones,
    is often an adequate clue to get you pointed in the right direction.

    Good luck

    Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

    Robert Aldwinckle, Apr 2, 2007

  2. SOLVED!

    It turns out that Vista Ultimate 64-bit has somehow put the 32-bit IE on my
    start menu. While poking around, I saw that I had a 64-bit IE available in
    my files, so I switched it out. Now, it works fine.

    Thanks Robert!
    =?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHQgQWRhbXM=?=, Apr 2, 2007

  3. FOLLOW-UP

    It seems my hyperlinks in email (for example) still are pointing to my 32-bit
    IE.

    How do I change those associations in Vista?
    =?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHQgQWRhbXM=?=, Apr 2, 2007