Re: IE garbage

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by VanguardLH, Jul 17, 2012.

  1. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    "Robert Baer" wrote:

    > Pick any version of IE
    > why does it render a site offline DIFFERENTLY than online?

    Internet Options -> Advanced tab -> Security section
    Allow active content from CDs to run on My Computer
    Allow active content to run in files on My Computer

    "My Computer" is not the variation of Windows Explorer labelled as My
    Computer. Here "My Computer" refers to a security zone. Be default, IE
    shows the following security zones: Internet, Local Intranet, Trusted,
    and Restricted Sites. There is another security zone called "My
    Computer" which is not normally visible. You can add it with a registry
    edit; see:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315933

    The This is a per-user setting. You need to be logged under the account
    in which you want the My Computer security zone to be displayed or be an
    admin user and edit the HKU entries for each account for the change to
    be effected under those accounts. To effect the registry change, after
    making the change, click F5 in regedit.exe (or unload it) and unload all
    instances of IE (iexplore.exe). To see the new My Computer security
    zone, do not run IE and use its Tools -> Internet Options menu. Instead
    use the Internet Options applet in Control Panel.

    While I could add the My Computer security zone to the Security tab in
    Internet Options, I don't bother. You don't have to display the My
    Computer security zone in the Security tab of Internet Options for the
    two "My Computer" options above. The above settings are probably
    sufficient to get active content to function in your web pages which are
    in local files. Just remember that if you aren't the own coding those
    local web pages that you have not permitted anyone to run any code
    inside a web page that you saved locally. If you're using a web crawler
    to steal the content of someone else's site, you will be granting them
    the same permissions for their code as the account under which you login
    and run their code.

    For issues regarding Internet Explorer, a better newsgroup more focused
    on that product is:

    VanguardLH, Jul 17, 2012

  2. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    Re: IE garbage, re-visited

    "Robert Baer" wrote:

    > VanguardLH wrote:
    >
    >> "Robert Baer" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Pick any version of IE
    >>> why does it render a site offline DIFFERENTLY than online?

    >> Internet Options -> Advanced tab -> Security section
    >> Allow active content from CDs to run on My Computer
    >> Allow active content to run in files on My Computer

    > No version of IE (5,6,7 or 8) has the "Allow active content" options
    > anywhere, so that is out.

    Then you're not looking where I said. This option has been available
    since version 3.0 of IE (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/154036). Where
    did you look for the "allow active content" options? If you need
    pictures instead of a description of where to find the options, look at
    (first 2 options in the Security section):

    http://www.emo.com/techhelp/ActiveContentOptionsFix.gif

    You didn't mention if you are in your own home network or a workstation
    in your company's network. A company can push policies onto your host
    when you log into their domain, one of which is to disable you from
    changing some settings in IE.

    I don't know if these settings are hidden when using a Home edition of
    Windows. I don't bother with the Home edition.

    VanguardLH, Jul 22, 2012

  3. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    Re: IE garbage, re-visited

    "Robert Baer" wrote:

    > I see your screen shot, and the first THREE options shown there do not
    > exist; from there on, we are in synch.
    >
    > I personally own the Oil 4 Less LLC sites and all of the contents and
    > there is no code to affect any user in terms of so-called "policies".

    Policies aren't pushed by web sites. Domain servers in a corporate
    network push policies (if you log into the domain rather than into a
    local account).

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_domain
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_Policy

    > If one happens to know of an otherwise unseen folder that contains
    > data (with or without the "index" file) then one can see the files as
    > an index or run the index file set as if it was a "normal" website. I
    > have done that in the past, for testing purposes before going "live".
    > Why? Because IE stupidly renders differently online VS offline; they
    > are stranza.

    Actually it looks like your OS setup is stranza. That those options are
    missing in Internet Options means something is not right on your host.
    Policies (pushed in a domain - not by some web site) are just registry
    entries. Anyone who has admin privileges under the account they log
    into under Windows can modify those registry settings (if you know where
    they are). That also means any tweakers, security programs, lockdown
    utilities, malware, or other software you install, if ran under an
    admin-level account, can also modify the registry.

    I've read that the "allow active content" may be missing under Windows
    XP SP-2 RC-1 (release candidate 1), or earlier. That is, you need SP-2
    Final, or later. You never mentioned what you have for an OS (other
    than having to guess it is some version of Windows).

    Even if the options is missing from display in Internet Options
    (Advanced tab), those are registry settings. I found one article that
    mentions the registry item for the "Allow active content to run in files
    on My Computer":

    http://www.winxptutor.com/lmzunlock.htm
    http://infowinxp.blogspot.com/2008_08_01_archive.html

    VanguardLH, Jul 23, 2012
  4. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    Re: IE garbage, re-visited

    "Robert Baer" wrote:

> [...]

    > for other OSes.
    > Here is a list of the OSes i run and the accompanying IE.
    > Win98SE: OEM presumed due to "for distribution with a new PC only" IE5.
    > Win2K professional SP4 IE6.
    > WinXP professional SP2 ver 2002 IE7.
    > Win 7 professional IE8.
    > Do not have IE9 and am leery of trying to load it in Win7 because M$
    > in its infinite wisDUMB may force it to overwrite IE8 even if i am lucky
    > that installation allows a different drive for installation.
    > Would be nice if that were truly possible..
    > Naturally, i am not counting the other OSes (DOS, Win3.11).
    > I used to do almost all of my work in Win98SE and "grunt" work in Win2K.
    > Now virtually 100% is done in Win2K, and the others are used
    > primarily to run IE for site checking.
    > *
    > What do you exactly mean "not right on your host"?

    Everyone but you sees those two "allow activex content" options - unless
    a domain policy is hiding them (or software, good or bad, has changed
    the same registry items).

    Did you try using the registry edits in the articles provided? Registry
    settings change little between different versions of Windows. Mostly
    you get new settings, not changed old settings.

    VanguardLH, Jul 23, 2012
  5. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    Re: IE garbage, re-visited

    "Robert Baer" wrote:

    > I did the (one) edit mentioned, that made the My Computer security
    > zone visible for each IE version. Was essentially useless in that
    > "allow active content" still was not available, and saw no info to
    > fiddle RegEdit for that.

    I was referring to the registry edits regarding "allow activex
    content", now which security zones are visible.

    I was off target on adding the My Computer security zone (so it is
    available). The Advanced security options apply to all security zones;
    that is, they are globgal settings and not per-zone settings. You won't
    see those settings within any particular security zone.

    Also, as mentioned in one of the articles, if you don't want (or can't)
    modify the "allow activex content" options (in the Interent Options UI
    or via registry edits), there is the "Mark of the Web" method that you
    add to your HTML code.

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms537628(v=vs.85).aspx
    http://www.helpstuff.com/motw.html
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/adioltean/archive/2005/09/02/460120.aspx
    http://www.markoftheweb.com/ (never used this, unknown software)

    > Each registry is separate and cannot affect any other - they are on
    > different drives and OSes.

    As well as every Internet Option setting is "separate and cannot affect
    any other". Since you aren't in a domain pushing out policies, you are
    going to have to revisit a tweak on every host you have whether it be a
    registry setting or some app's configuration options.

    VanguardLH, Jul 24, 2012
  6. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    Re: IE garbage, re-visited

    "Robert Baer" wrote:

    > Still fighting IE8 rendition problems on my website. Really crazy in
    > that IE5, IE6 AND IE7 all do a better job.

    Just in case an add-on is causing the problem, have you loaded IE8 in
    its no add-ons mode?

    Have you tried to reset IE8 in case some setting is causing the problem?
    Internet Options -> Advanced -> Reset button
    You will lose any customizations when you reset.

    VanguardLH, Jul 25, 2012