Re: [IE 7] Strange problem with favorites icons

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Robert Aldwinckle, Mar 24, 2007.

  1. (cross-post added to 64bit.general)
    "Thomas G. Madsen" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Robert Aldwinckle wrote:
    >
    >> So, if you change it to something else there, does it change?

    > It doesn't change those favorites with the unknown file type icon.
    > Only those with the right IE icons are changed.

    Let's get some more information about the Favorites having that attribute then.
    I think we need to see the underlying .URL file's text. One way of doing that
    would be to open a Notepad window in maximized mode and leave your IE
    window in normal mode (e.g. so you can drag the Favorite item to the Notepad
    window.)

    Do that for two cases, a good icon and a bad icon, and compare the
    two text files for their essential differences. Perhaps you can find a way
    to make a bad one more specific than you can just by using the Change Icon...
    dialog.

    > If I right click on one of the unknown file type icons and choosing
    > Properties > Change Icon, I get an error message saying 'The file
    > C:\Windows\system32\Url.dll contains no icons. Choose an icon from
    > the list or specify a different file'.
    >
    > I have Vista Ultimate 64 on my C-drive and WinXP MCE on D and they
    > are sharing the same favorites folder which seems to be the cause
    > to the problem. I could sure use a program that could change all
    > those favorites who looks for an icon i C:\WINDOWS\system32\url.dll
    > and point them to D:\WINDOWS\system32\url.dll instead.

    I have no experience with either Vista or 64-bit machines.
    Cross-posting for convenience.

    HTH

    Robert
    ---

    Full thread for the convenience of new readers

    http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...4908&mid=c56c403c-4069-4b01-acc3-370b7cf14908

    Note: 64bit.general is listed in the above portal under the node
    microsoft.public.windows

    Robert Aldwinckle, Mar 24, 2007