    Resetting the premissions should work, but remember its a major
    security hole. Kinda defeats the purpose of security.

    , Mar 1, 2005

  2. AG Guest

    "smackedass" <> wrote in message
    news:gY9Vd.3593$...
    > Dear Yeti,
    >
    > Thank you again for responding.
    >
    > You're right, I think, it's iexplore.exe.
    >
    > I don't think that it's a POLICY, per se, that I fiddled with. I believe
    > that what I changed were the permissions to the iexplore.exe file.

    Indeed,
    > when I right-clicked iexplore.exe, and then went to the Security tab, I

    was
    > allowed to set allow/deny type restrictions to users and groups.

    Obviously,
    > it went south, but...
    >
    > ...I am prompted to ask, what would be the best way that I could have
    > executed what my friend wanted? which was to allow certain people to

    access
    > the Internet from a computer, while denying access to the Internet from

    the
    > same local computer? Without having a third-party application, or a

    server,
    > proxy or otherwise, which would allow or disallow access outside of the
    > local level? There are 3 only computers inside of this business, and

    having
    > a server would seem to be a bit overkill...Certainly, the Security tab
    > suggests that what I was going after was possible, but what would have

    been
    > the best way?
    >
    > (Trying to avoid being bitter with MS for not providing a more

    user-friendly
    > way to acheive the desired end result, but am gritting my teeth)
    >
    > Thank you, again.
    >
    > smackedass

    Probably the easiest way that I can think of is to use a proxy server with
    only a certain group being allowed to go through the proxy to get to the
    internet. You could even set it so that mail would be allowed but now
    internet access.
    Having said that, I've never done it and doubt that it would be effective.
    Usernames and passwords for that type of thing have a habit of being shared.

    AG

    AG, Mar 2, 2005

  3. Guest

    Re: HAPPY ENDING Re: IE 6.0 Uninstall, or Repair, or Reset Defaults?

    I hate to burst your bubble, but you have not denied internet access to
    a certin group of people. You have denied access to the Iexplore.exe
    file.

    Telnet, FTP, FireFox, MIRC, any virus, spyware, malware can still
    access the internet. FYI everything I just listed runs off of a USB
    thumb drive and does not require any installation. Blocking the
    Iexplore.exe w/ NTFS premissions is going to backfire in one way or
    another. Serveral applications require Iexplore.exe to function.
    Again. There is NO WAY to block INTERNET access to a certin user or
    group on XP w/ out additional hardware or software. I am even hard
    pressed to think of a way to do it in an Active Directory Domain with
    out additional MS products such as ISA server. If you could do it
    nativatly in server 2k3, why would you buy ISA?

    The easiest way to do what you are trying to accomplish is a proxy
    server, or firewall that can function as a authentication server. My
    personal favorite is IPCop w/ the Cop+ addon installed.

    , Mar 4, 2005
  4. Guest

    Re: HAPPY ENDING Re: IE 6.0 Uninstall, or Repair, or Reset Defaults?

    you can email me at returnoftheyeti at msn dot com
    and sometimes i'll be online using AIM or yahoo IM, again,
    returnoftheyeti is the screen name.

    , Mar 4, 2005
  5. Guest

    Re: HAPPY ENDING Re: IE 6.0 Uninstall, or Repair, or Reset Defaults?

    I Swear, I WILL beat this topic to its death.

    I had a situation come up at work today where we needed to "deny
    internet access" to about 4 PCs. All we were trying to accomplish,
    like Smackedass was, was keep them from being able to use internet
    explorer.. My co-worker came up with a great idea.

    We set a bogus proxy server on the client machines and denied acces to
    changing the proxy settings through group poloicy. Bingo, all 4
    machine have no "internet access"

    , Mar 5, 2005
  6. AG Guest

    "GoGators" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    > > I Swear, I WILL beat this topic to its death.
    > >
    > > I had a situation come up at work today where we needed to "deny
    > > internet access" to about 4 PCs. All we were trying to accomplish,
    > > like Smackedass was, was keep them from being able to use internet
    > > explorer.. My co-worker came up with a great idea.
    > >
    > > We set a bogus proxy server on the client machines and denied acces to
    > > changing the proxy settings through group poloicy. Bingo, all 4
    > > machine have no "internet access"
    > >

    > I have been following this thread with interest...
    >
    > I previously disabled Internet access on a client's PC by removing the
    > DNS server entries, which effectively killed the Internet access. Now
    > the client has asked for password protected Internet access on that PC.
    > I researched a way to do that and could only come up with software
    > called iNet Protector (http://www.blumentals.net/inetprot/). The
    > software is great at killing the Internet, but it also kills all network
    > functionality. You can add apps to the exception list, but making a
    > network printer work was way more difficult. I did get it to work, but
    > then it suddenly quit, and now it won't work. I finally removed the
    > software.
    >
    > After following this thread, I had a brainstorm and it seems to work!
    > Enable Content Advisor and add *.com, *.net, *.org, etc. to the deny
    > list in Content Advisor. Obviously, you have to password protect
    > Content Advisor for it to be effective. It seems to work so far...
    > Maybe this will help one of you.
    >
    > GoGators

    Very creative use of the Content Advisor. Just don't forget what that
    password is. :)

    AG

    AG, Mar 5, 2005