    Subject: I'd appreciate some help in understanding how posts propagate.

    I'm going to disregard the twisted way you asked your question.

    This (2nd in your examples) GG post:

    From: BoaterDave
    Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 09:54:48 -0700 (PDT)

    .... references (only) an article posted /only/ to a MS group. That
    referencing is not proper/correct.

    This earlier bt/giga post:

    Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 11:33:21 +0000
    From: ~BD~

    .... also references (only) another, different article posted only to a
    MS group. (Incidentally) The message it references was posted in
    another, different way to that MS group. Your seamonkey/bt referencing
    there (earlier) was correct, only one reference.

    If your GG message had been properly referenced, it would have reflected
    the extensive referencing of the post it replied:

    From: "Shenan Stanley"

    But it didn't.

    > a *single* thread of the same
    > name

    The term 'thread' is often used in ambiguous ways.

    Generically, thread might mean 'sort', arrange. One can arrange
    newsgroup messages by date/chronologically or by subject or by 'thread'
    which actually means by reference line 'arrangement'.

    Reference line threading provides 'trees' in which all of the messages
    can be arranged into 'families' or branches from some earlier message id.

    When messages on a 'topic' all have the same subject, they can (also,
    alternatively) be 'grouped' or arranged by that subject, thus 'throwing
    them all together'. Then or subsequently or additionally, a reader's
    software typically (also) 'sub'-arranges that group into a secondary
    sorting or arranging, usually by date or chronologically or reverse

    Some people prefer to read messages threaded or arranged into trees by
    the References line. Some other people prefer to read messages grouped
    into a subject but ordered chronologically. The threading/references
    line sorting often takes messages out of chronological order to create
    the proper references line tree arrangement.

    If (references) threading is going to work properly, whatever agent
    which is used must properly 'compile' (accumulate) the References line,
    which yours did not.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Mar 23, 2010

  2. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    ~BD~ wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    >> If your GG message had been properly referenced, it would have reflected
    >> the extensive referencing of the post it replied:

    > However ..... I feel I'm no further forward.

    You often don't learn - move forward, improve, gain wisdom - very quickly.

    > All settings are exactly the same here on my machine for both
    > newsgroups. It's the same Sea Monkey 'reading' them and 'grouping' them.

    SeaMonkey can thread or not - sort by subject unthreaded which
    secondarily sorts chronologically.

    > Do you feel that *I* have done something wrong?

    Of course. Both of the messages which you reply/crossposted shouldn't
    have been so replied -- that is the *most* important thing you did
    'wrong'.

    Your doing so takes 'advantage' of those who would reply to you and
    causes them to quasi-unwillingly post in your same crossposted manner
    even tho' those same people would *never* otherwise intentionally
    crosspost as you do.

    That is because...

    There is a natural tendency for most of those who reply to a crossposted
    message to not intentionally strip the crossposting because such
    stripping has disadvantages to others who would follow a thread.

    Crosspost stripping causes forking of the topic's subthreads. However,
    *anyone* posting into a group which one doesn't read is much much worse
    than crosspost stripping. So, your zany disparate group crossposting
    creates a no-win type of dilemma for anyone who would reply to your post
    or any others which follow it so crossposted.

    So, that is *two* wrongs, because you did that crossposting twice to two
    different messages which preceding messages were appropriately posted to
    *only* the MS group.

    The other incidental thing/s you did wrong was read nntp newsgroup
    messages in GG instead of a newsreader and then post into a nntp group
    (groups in this case) via GG.

    So, altogether that is 4 things you did wrong. 2 x-postings and 2
    GG-related behaviors.

    In order to investigate how the thread looks to you in SeaMonkey in
    alternate views, you should flip it in and out of threaded and in and
    out of sort by Subject.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Mar 23, 2010

  3. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:
    > Mike Easter

    > I may have to try out the killfile that
    > killfiles not only him, but any follow ups to him.

    Personally I think all posts by Evan Platt which contain the string
    'chuckcar' should disappear. It is exceedingly tiresome to read of your
    pathological preoccupation with that persona.

    Tbird won't do that type of filtering either - so a tbird user who is
    also windows would have to use something like Nfilter/NewsProxy in front
    of the tbird and if they were linux they would have to do it some other
    way, since nfilter is win not linux.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Mar 23, 2010
  4. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:
    > Mike Easter

    >> Personally I think all posts by Evan Platt which contain the string
    >> 'chuckcar' should disappear. It is exceedingly tiresome to read of your
    >> pathological preoccupation with that persona.

    > I rarely call him chuckcar. His official name is chucktard.

    Yabbut when you reply his handle string *always* appears in the
    attribution (in my configuration) whatever you might call him.

    > As soon as he stops posting grossly wrong statements, I'll stop
    > correcting him.

    He is not going to stop posting; you are not going to stop replying to
    him. Therefore the discriminating remedy is to filter all of your posts
    about him.

    Alternatively the quick and dirty method would be to just filter all of
    *your* posts. Your anti-chuckcars are considerably more annoying than
    anything chuckcar himself has to say.

    >> Tbird won't do that type of filtering either - so a tbird user who is
    >> also windows

    > ???

    A windows + tbird user would use nfilter as a proxy before tbird. A
    linux user would have to add something else to the mix, not nfilter, a
    win app which is very handy. Linux would use leafnode, which I've never
    tried.

    >> would have to use something like Nfilter/NewsProxy in front
    >> of the tbird and if they were linux they would have to do it some other
    >> way, since nfilter is win not linux.

    > This is Thunderbird in Fedora.

    Leafnode for linux would act like hamster for windows.
    http://leafnode.sourceforge.net/

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Mar 23, 2010
  5. Mike Easter

    Peter Foldes Guest

    LOL. You do not forget anything. It is your way of sniffing out people or tying to
    trip them up. Do not backtrack you Troll. Maybe at some point Mike will catch on to
    you as others did after a while. The whole MVP community knows about you even the
    ones that do not post in the groups you frequent. You were (feel proud) the talk one
    morning at the Campus during the yearly meeting. David,you are a very unstable
    person. This should have already been evident to most if not all that have contact
    with you. You are not going to catch any bad guys ( *your claim) in the newsgroups
    here or on the MS server newsgroups. If you want to catch some then hack into some
    private servers of some foreign groups. You will fill your wishes 100 fold

    Peter Foldes, Mar 23, 2010
  6. Mike Easter

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>, lid says...
    > That is because...
    >
    > There is a natural tendency for most of those who reply to a crossposted
    > message to not intentionally strip the crossposting because such
    > stripping has disadvantages to others who would follow a thread.
    >
    > Crosspost stripping causes forking of the topic's subthreads. However,
    > *anyone* posting into a group which one doesn't read is much much worse
    > than crosspost stripping. So, your zany disparate group crossposting
    > creates a no-win type of dilemma for anyone who would reply to your post
    > or any others which follow it so crossposted.
    >
    > So, that is *two* wrongs, because you did that crossposting twice to two
    > different messages which preceding messages were appropriately posted to
    > *only* the MS group.
    >
    > The other incidental thing/s you did wrong was read nntp newsgroup
    > messages in GG instead of a newsreader and then post into a nntp group
    > (groups in this case) via GG.
    >
    > So, altogether that is 4 things you did wrong. 2 x-postings and 2
    > GG-related behaviors.

    Mike,

    He's well aware of those things and he's baiting you, trolling you. If
    you follow his posts, everything is a twist and troll into a diversion.

    He randomly injects cross-posting without mentioning it, another troll
    trait.

    Trust yourself.
    (remove 999 for proper email address)

    Leythos, Mar 24, 2010