    --

    Nick
    A+, MCP
    Nick, Jun 22, 2003

  2. Nick

    Pikoro Guest

    Let me add the following, without any intention of starting a brawl.
    All Windows systems since 98 SE include built-in support for ICS.
    In Win 98
    Control Panel --> Add/Remove Programs --> Windows Setup tab --> Internet
    Tools
    Check ICS and reboot.
    For some mysterious reason, Microsoft decided to merge Internet Tools into
    Communications in ME, so that's where you will find ICS.
    ICS is a paradigm of sloppy programming by Microsoft and it brings all sort
    of problems when you set it up, it will probably screw your Internet
    connectivity, you will have to manually check the settings for the instance
    of TCP/IP that is bound to the Dial-Up Adapter.
    In Win 2K, in which you can choose the connection where to install ICS, it
    will mess up the connection on the Broadband NIC (if you have broadband),
    even if you choose to install it on the LAN NIC.
    I have not tested it myself, but have heard from reliable sources that XP
    does a better job than its predecessors with ICS.
    It is true that more often than not you have to manually tweak settings with
    ICS, DNS is seldom needed though, that can be left set to automatic.
    If you run into trouble post again,somebody will be willing to help you
    further but you will need to give more detail.

    Pikoro, Jun 23, 2003