Re: IBM Cisco support

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Chris Mason, Mar 20, 2006.

  1. Chris Mason

    Chris Mason Guest

    This is intended to be a continuation of the subject topic as discussed
    in 5 messages from Sun, Aug 29 2004 4:16 am to Tues, Aug 31 2004 1:02
    pm

    My excuse for the late post is that I have just now discovered this
    group and I see I may have something to contribute from time to time.

    MC (mwclar) posted the following on Sun, Aug 29 2004 4:16 am

    <quote>

    OK, Here is a topic not sure if many will be able to answer but I am
    going to ask anyway.

    Does any of the Cisco IBM gateway products suppot SNI (PU4) connections
    between two hosts with having to have an NCP on the mainframe. We are
    wanting to get rid of our 3745 and have other hosts connecting to us
    that
    their NCP does not support SNI so we have to, I would think that since
    IBM is dropping support on their 3745 FEP's that there has to be an
    alternative an figured Cisco should have a solution.

    Also does Cisco support BISYNC connectivity where we can terminate a
    BISYNC dialup line into where the cisco gateway would be channel
    attached ? I know they support BSTUN which from what I have read is
    like BISYNC
    tunneling but for anotehr type of host, and does no conversions and
    would still have to be serial on the host end? is that correct? We
    would like to be able to bring the BISYNC dialup into a gateway device
    and have that device terminate/convert the traffic over the token ring
    to the mainframe via SNA/IP ? would think that would require addtional
    software on the mainframe ?

    </quote>

    In fact it was two topics, one concerning SNI and one concerning BSC or
    BiSync.

    As Eli mentioned you may be able to replace SNI with APPN Border Node
    support. The problem here is that, while one side of the SNI
    configuration may be keen to use APPN, the other may not be so keen.

    The other alternative is Communication Controller for Linux (CCL),
    http://www-306.ibm.com/software/network/ccl/
    This is a straight replacement of 3745 with a program running on a
    Linux LPAR on the mainframe which supports NCP. Channel support, from
    R2, is yet another flavour of OSA; LAN support is OSA emulating token
    ring if necessary; WAN support is the LAN support with routers,
    typically IP with DLSw.

    IBM is dropping support for the 3745 so IBM is offering CCL.

    ---

    Regarding the response from Stephen concerning BiSync, there are only
    two flavours of BiSync, point-to-point and multipoint. Maybe Stephen
    had start-stop in mind when he implied it was insufficient just to
    specify the protocol and that the particular type of device was
    necessary, for example, for IBM devices, 1050, 2740-1, 2740-2, 2741,
    1030 to name just the ones I can dredge from my memory in addition to
    the more general WTTY and TWX. (I remembered the NCP/EP Reference
    manual has a list of all these old devices for the purposes of
    emulation but I won't cheat.) I know that BSC point-to-point is quite
    well defined as a protocol so, if your requirement is BSC
    point-to-point that should be sufficient to ensure a compatible
    protocol.

    Chris Mason, Mar 20, 2006