Re: iBGP question.

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Merv, Jul 7, 2008.

  1. Merv

    Merv Guest

    On Jul 7, 1:56 am, Jarek Jarzebowski <>
    wrote:
    > On 7 Lip, 07:40, "Bartosz Gagat" <> wrote:
    >

    > > If possible- use full mesh. If not -use other techiques- like route
    > > reflector or confederation.

    > > Bartosz Gagat"Jarek Jarzebowski" <> wrote in message

    > > > Hi all,

    > > > I have AS and own PI prefixes. I have 2 BGP routers in different
    > > > locations (A and B). Router A announces some prefixes and B announces
    > > > another prefixes. Between routers A and B is iBGP session (direct
    > > > leased link connecting those two routers).

    > > > Now I have to launch third location C with another BGP router within
    > > > same AS.

    > > > Do I have to make full mesh iBGP connections between routers A,B and C
    > > > (I mean dedicated direct links) or may I use some other techniques
    > > > like tunnels, or whatever, to establish iBGP connections?

    A more fundamental question - why do you need to run BGP to existing
    site ?

    Do you not just need to run an IGP (via GRE tunnel( for inter-AS
    traffic ?
    Merv, Jul 7, 2008

  2. On 8 Lip, 00:27, Merv <> wrote:
    > On Jul 7, 1:56 am, Jarek Jarzebowski <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > > On 7 Lip, 07:40, "Bartosz Gagat" <> wrote:

    > > > If possible- use full mesh. If not -use other techiques- like route
    > > > reflector or confederation.

    > > > Bartosz Gagat"Jarek Jarzebowski" <> wrote in message

    > A more fundamental question - why do you need to run BGP to existing
    > site ?
    >
    > Do you not just need to run an IGP (via GRE tunnel( for inter-AS
    > traffic ?

    I have 2 locations (2 routers BGP using the same AS): A and B.
    On each site I have separate BGP upstream links to at least 2 peers
    (on each site), so in fact, those routers are using the same AS but
    are announcing different prefixes. I just have done my internal
    assignement: prefix X is used in location A, and prefix Y in B.

    It's done this way to provide my customers Internet using my PI
    adresses on each location. Now, because routers A and B use the same
    AS, so, I need iBGP session to reach prefix X (announced by A) from B,
    and vice versa. My AS is'nt big enough to make some internal traffic
    policy so I just need some way to reach my prefixes between sites.
    Unfortunetly, I have very poor direct leased link between those
    sites.

    I have to change it, and I am thinking of alternative solutins, for
    example:
    - make iBGP session between A and B using GRE over Internet (if
    possible)
    - use allowas-in to receive prefix X on router B through foreign peers
    (normaly BGP blocks prefikses originated from own AS).

    I don't know if my english is precise enough but I tried to explain
    situation as good as I can.
    The question is: "what solution is better?"

    Regards,
    Jarek
    Jarek Jarzebowski, Jul 9, 2008