Re: I wish they'd release more using SuperBit DVDs

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by electrictroy@gmail.com, Oct 2, 2005.

  1. Guest

    jayembee wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > > BOTTOM LINE: They should be releasing more movies/tv shows in SuperBit
    > > format.

    > They do. They just don't call them Superbit. Superbit is trademark by Sony.
    > "Superbit" is just a marketing scam, like "Special Edition".

    ..

    "Superbit" was originally coined by Columbia, not Sony, and it's not a
    scam. Removing all the extra material provides nearly twice as much
    room for the Video, resulting in better quality. (Just as SP mode is
    better than SLP mode on a VCR.)

    Look at the difference yourself. The normal dvd is blurred, like a VHS
    tape, where the Superbit version brings out the details:

    http://www.videophile.info/Review/TFE/42_c1.jpg
    http://www.videophile.info/Review/TFE/36_c1.jpg

    troy
    , Oct 2, 2005

  2. On 2 Oct 2005 05:56:28 -0700, wrote:

    >jayembee wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> > BOTTOM LINE: They should be releasing more movies/tv shows in SuperBit
    >> > format.

    >> They do. They just don't call them Superbit. Superbit is trademark by Sony.
    >> "Superbit" is just a marketing scam, like "Special Edition".

    >.
    >
    >"Superbit" was originally coined by Columbia, not Sony, and it's not a
    >scam. Removing all the extra material provides nearly twice as much
    >room for the Video, resulting in better quality. (Just as SP mode is
    >better than SLP mode on a VCR.)
    >
    >Look at the difference yourself. The normal dvd is blurred, like a VHS
    >tape, where the Superbit version brings out the details:
    >
    >http://www.videophile.info/Review/TFE/42_c1.jpg
    >http://www.videophile.info/Review/TFE/36_c1.jpg
    >
    >troy

    If I am not mistaken, Sony Owns Columbia.

    The Back of my Columbia Superbit DVD of Lawrence of Arabia (Which I
    bought last week at Best Buy for $9.99) has 2 web sites listed.
    www.SonyPictures.Com and www.superbitdvd.com between all of the
    logos including DTS, Columbia Pictures, Columbia Tristar and the
    various MPAA logos.

    Fred
    Fred C. Dobbs, Oct 2, 2005

  3. David Levy Guest

    Fred C. Dobbs wrote:

    > If I am not mistaken, Sony Owns Columbia.

    You're not mistaken; Sony Acquired Columbia Pictures in 1989.
    David Levy, Oct 2, 2005
  4. Jeff Rife Guest

    () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > "Superbit" was originally coined by Columbia, not Sony, and it's not a
    > scam.

    Yes, it can be, since many non-"Superbit" releases have just as many bits
    dedicated to video/audio encoding as some "Superbit" releases. The extended
    versions of LotR trilogy are a good example...they have about 110 minutes
    per double layer disc with nothing extra except a couple of very low bitrate
    commentary tracks.

    > Removing all the extra material provides nearly twice as much
    > room for the Video, resulting in better quality.

    "Twice as much" is definitely an exaggeration. Most double layer single-disc
    DVD releases use at least 6GB for the main movie. Double-disc releases
    easily give as much space to the main movie as a Superbit disc.

    In one way, Superbit is definitely a scam in that they are almost
    universally released after the first release that had the extras. Sony
    could easily do a two-disc "Superbit" release in place of the original,
    and put all the extras on the second disc.

    > Look at the difference yourself. The normal dvd is blurred, like a VHS
    > tape, where the Superbit version brings out the details:
    >
    > http://www.videophile.info/Review/TFE/42_c1.jpg
    > http://www.videophile.info/Review/TFE/36_c1.jpg

    Those aren't very stunning differences (in particular, both shots in each
    pair have quality issues, just different kinds), and most of the difference
    could be attributed to a different transfer, not lack of bits to do a
    quality MPEG encoding. The change in the amount of edge enhancement is a
    dead giveaway that a different transfer was used.

    --
    Jeff Rife |
    Jeff Rife, Oct 2, 2005
  5. jayembee Guest

    wrote:

    > jayembee wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> BOTTOM LINE: They should be releasing more movies/tv shows in SuperBit
    >>> format.

    >> They do. They just don't call them Superbit. Superbit is trademark by Sony.
    >> "Superbit" is just a marketing scam, like "Special Edition".

    > "Superbit" was originally coined by Columbia, not Sony,

    Sony is Columbia's parent company.

    > and it's not a scam. Removing all the extra material provides nearly
    > twice as much room for the Video, resulting in better quality.

    It's a scam, because the song and dance about how superior Superbit
    is allows them to charge more for the Superbit editions. Not to mention
    that they should be that quality to begin with.

    If you have a player capable of displaying the bitrate, try checking out
    some of your discs. Any disc with a bitrate over 9 qualifies as "Superbit"
    (the max being 10). There are a lot of discs out there with that high a
    bitrate that don't advertise themselves as being something worth
    paying twice as much for.

    > Look at the difference yourself. The normal dvd is blurred, like a VHS
    > tape, where the Superbit version brings out the details:

    Largely because the original transfers weren't very good.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Oct 3, 2005
  6. Jim Johnson Guest

    True maybe, but the superbit disk always feature a dts track on movies that
    don't have it on the original disk which is a big plus in my book.

    Jim

    Jim Johnson, Oct 3, 2005
  7. Goro Guest

    Jeff Rife wrote:
    > () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > > "Superbit" was originally coined by Columbia, not Sony, and it's not a
    > > scam.

    > Yes, it can be, since many non-"Superbit" releases have just as many bits
    > dedicated to video/audio encoding as some "Superbit" releases. The extended
    > versions of LotR trilogy are a good example...they have about 110 minutes
    > per double layer disc with nothing extra except a couple of very low bitrate
    > commentary tracks.
    >
    > > Removing all the extra material provides nearly twice as much
    > > room for the Video, resulting in better quality.

    > "Twice as much" is definitely an exaggeration. Most double layer single-disc
    > DVD releases use at least 6GB for the main movie. Double-disc releases
    > easily give as much space to the main movie as a Superbit disc.
    >
    > In one way, Superbit is definitely a scam in that they are almost
    > universally released after the first release that had the extras. Sony
    > could easily do a two-disc "Superbit" release in place of the original,
    > and put all the extras on the second disc.
    >
    > > Look at the difference yourself. The normal dvd is blurred, like a VHS
    > > tape, where the Superbit version brings out the details:
    > >
    > > http://www.videophile.info/Review/TFE/42_c1.jpg
    > > http://www.videophile.info/Review/TFE/36_c1.jpg

    > Those aren't very stunning differences (in particular, both shots in each
    > pair have quality issues, just different kinds), and most of the difference
    > could be attributed to a different transfer, not lack of bits to do a
    > quality MPEG encoding. The change in the amount of edge enhancement is a
    > dead giveaway that a different transfer was used.

    it certainly encourages Sony to do crap releases so that SuperBit ones
    look better. STEAMBOY is a perfect example. A title that really begs
    for a beauteous transfer (as that's about all it has going for it) and
    what do we get on the DVD? <4.5GB dedicated to the movie and some crap
    extras, but all told, it still only takes up <7GB of space. They COULD
    have upped the bitrate on the movie abot 20% and still kept the extras.

    Hell, why BOTHER releasing a DVD when a person could rip the movie and
    burn it and NOT LOSE ANY QUALITY?

    -goro-
    Goro, Oct 3, 2005
  8. Jeff Rife Guest

    Goro () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > <4.5GB dedicated to the movie and some crap
    > extras, but all told, it still only takes up <7GB of space. They COULD
    > have upped the bitrate on the movie abot 20% and still kept the extras.

    Yeah, that sort of thing really pisses me off. Once you go to two layers,
    there is no financial reason not to fill the disc. If you don't have any
    extras, then just crank the bitrate on the movie.

    --
    Jeff Rife | "In those days Mars was a dreary uninhabitable
    Jeff Rife, Oct 3, 2005
  9. Jeff Rife Guest

    Jim Johnson () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > True maybe, but the superbit disk always feature a dts track on movies that
    > don't have it on the original disk which is a big plus in my book.

    Again, this is just a scam.

    If they had split the original release into two discs (one for movie and
    one for extras), they could have easily added the DTS track.

    --
    Jeff Rife | "Tragedy struck today in Sector Nine as rebel
    Jeff Rife, Oct 3, 2005
  10. jayembee Guest

    "Jim Johnson" <> wrote:

    > True maybe, but the superbit disk always feature a dts track
    > on movies that don't have it on the original disk which is a
    > big plus in my book.

    No doubt. In fact, in one of my previous replies, I did say that
    the DTS track was more of a draw for people than the
    supposed increase in video quality.

    More to the point is that the original releases could've had a
    DTS track on them in the first place.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Oct 3, 2005
  11. Jim Reid Guest

    I was at Best Buy the other day and they have marked all their Superbit
    releases down to 9.99. Does this mean they are just trying to unload
    them? Doesn't bode well for future Superbit releases.
    Jim Reid, Oct 4, 2005