Re: I want to blow away a Lenovo

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by lugnut, Dec 30, 2010.

  1. lugnut

    lugnut Guest

    On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 13:20:47 -0600, ""
    <> wrote:

    >I have a lenovo laptop with a C:\prefetch with all their crap on it. I
    >want to blow away ALL their crap and just install Windows XP which is
    >on there right now and I have the Windows XP CD for. How do I do
    >that....blow away the prefetch drive and just install Windows XP?
    >
    >Thanks

    The prefetch is not necessarily your problem. It is only a
    repository for windows during the boot and loading process.
    It can be disabled in the registry. Info on doing this in
    the registry is available on the net. Many, if not most, of
    the trial packages can be uninstalled. I prefer to use an
    uninstaller called Revo which does a decent job of cleaning
    them one-by-one. If it has the Norton package, you can find
    the Norton remover package on their site. That is the only
    one I have found that can actually remove Norton from a
    machine. Norton's installation heavily infest the OS with
    all sorts of stuff highly resistant to reason and removal.
    It is also one of the biggest offender when it come to
    hogging resources and slowing a machine.

    In order to prevent and eliminate all the trial stuff, you
    can use something like PC Decrapifier IIRC. Unless you have
    the driver preinstall, restore or setup disk from Lenovo,
    you are taking a huge chance of not being able to reload the
    OS during a re-install. Your machine has a good possibility
    of having a SATA hard drive which is not recognized by
    Windows XP. That is why you will need the Lenovo driver
    disk or a system restore disk to install the drivers before
    XP will reinstall. A system restore disk may very well take
    you back to the machine's as-manufactured config destroying
    any data you have in the process. You may also find
    yourself with a deactivated OS requireng phone assistance
    from MS to get that straightened out, recombobulated or
    sorted.

    Lastly, unless you are comfortable doing any of this or
    willing to brick the machine in the case of a screwup, you
    should simply leave it until you are comfy with the process
    and risks involved.

    Lugnut

    lugnut, Dec 30, 2010

  2. lugnut

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 14:28:04 -0600, wrote:

    > On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 09:35:22 -0500, lugnut <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 13:20:47 -0600, ""
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have a lenovo laptop with a C:\prefetch with all their crap on it. I
    >>>want to blow away ALL their crap and just install Windows XP which is
    >>>on there right now and I have the Windows XP CD for. How do I do
    >>>that....blow away the prefetch drive and just install Windows XP?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks

    >>The prefetch is not necessarily your problem. It is only a repository
    >>for windows during the boot and loading process. It can be disabled in
    >>the registry. Info on doing this in the registry is available on the
    >>net. Many, if not most, of the trial packages can be uninstalled. I
    >>prefer to use an uninstaller called Revo which does a decent job of
    >>cleaning them one-by-one. If it has the Norton package, you can find
    >>the Norton remover package on their site. That is the only one I have
    >>found that can actually remove Norton from a machine. Norton's
    >>installation heavily infest the OS with all sorts of stuff highly
    >>resistant to reason and removal. It is also one of the biggest offender
    >>when it come to hogging resources and slowing a machine.
    >>
    >>In order to prevent and eliminate all the trial stuff, you can use
    >>something like PC Decrapifier IIRC. Unless you have the driver
    >>preinstall, restore or setup disk from Lenovo, you are taking a huge
    >>chance of not being able to reload the OS during a re-install. Your
    >>machine has a good possibility of having a SATA hard drive which is not
    >>recognized by Windows XP. That is why you will need the Lenovo driver
    >>disk or a system restore disk to install the drivers before XP will
    >>reinstall. A system restore disk may very well take you back to the
    >>machine's as-manufactured config destroying any data you have in the
    >>process. You may also find yourself with a deactivated OS requireng
    >>phone assistance from MS to get that straightened out, recombobulated or
    >>sorted.
    >>
    >>Lastly, unless you are comfortable doing any of this or willing to brick
    >>the machine in the case of a screwup, you should simply leave it until
    >>you are comfy with the process and risks involved.
    >>
    >>Lugnut

    > So first I need to get the SATA drives loaded on a CD.
    >
    > Then I need to format the drive. No problem. Use the Sata CD and then
    > load Windows. Then find the correct drivers.
    >
    > That's about it? That's not that hard.
    >
    > My problem is I KNOW they have a partition on there that is locked...one
    > I can't format. THAT'S the one I need to get rid of. I believe it's part
    > of the Pre fetch. Any ideas?

    There isn't any partition flavor that cannot be deleted. And it wouldn't
    be called prefetch. If XP sees the hard drive, you won't need to load a
    driver. If it were mine I might be inclined to buy a new drive. I usually
    do anyway to have a spare.

    Meat Plow, Dec 31, 2010

  3. lugnut

    cully when Guest

    On 12/31/2010 3:28 PM, wrote:
    > On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 09:35:22 -0500, lugnut<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 13:20:47 -0600, ""
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a lenovo laptop with a C:\prefetch with all their crap on it. I
    >>> want to blow away ALL their crap and just install Windows XP which is
    >>> on there right now and I have the Windows XP CD for. How do I do
    >>> that....blow away the prefetch drive and just install Windows XP?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    >> The prefetch is not necessarily your problem. It is only a
    >> repository for windows during the boot and loading process.
    >> It can be disabled in the registry. Info on doing this in
    >> the registry is available on the net. Many, if not most, of
    >> the trial packages can be uninstalled. I prefer to use an
    >> uninstaller called Revo which does a decent job of cleaning
    >> them one-by-one. If it has the Norton package, you can find
    >> the Norton remover package on their site. That is the only
    >> one I have found that can actually remove Norton from a
    >> machine. Norton's installation heavily infest the OS with
    >> all sorts of stuff highly resistant to reason and removal.
    >> It is also one of the biggest offender when it come to
    >> hogging resources and slowing a machine.
    >>
    >> In order to prevent and eliminate all the trial stuff, you
    >> can use something like PC Decrapifier IIRC. Unless you have
    >> the driver preinstall, restore or setup disk from Lenovo,
    >> you are taking a huge chance of not being able to reload the
    >> OS during a re-install. Your machine has a good possibility
    >> of having a SATA hard drive which is not recognized by
    >> Windows XP. That is why you will need the Lenovo driver
    >> disk or a system restore disk to install the drivers before
    >> XP will reinstall. A system restore disk may very well take
    >> you back to the machine's as-manufactured config destroying
    >> any data you have in the process. You may also find
    >> yourself with a deactivated OS requireng phone assistance
    >>from MS to get that straightened out, recombobulated or
    >> sorted.
    >>
    >> Lastly, unless you are comfortable doing any of this or
    >> willing to brick the machine in the case of a screwup, you
    >> should simply leave it until you are comfy with the process
    >> and risks involved.
    >>
    >> Lugnut

    > So first I need to get the SATA drives loaded on a CD.
    >
    > Then I need to format the drive. No problem. Use the Sata CD and then
    > load Windows. Then find the correct drivers.
    >
    > That's about it? That's not that hard.
    >
    > My problem is I KNOW they have a partition on there that is
    > locked...one I can't format. THAT'S the one I need to get rid of. I
    > believe it's part of the Pre fetch. Any ideas?

    On my Lenovo that partition is a FAT32 called Service001. It contains
    the OS in case you need to reinstall. I used Macrium Reflect to create
    an image, just in case. It has nothing to do with prefetch; best not
    touch it unless you have your own OS CD.

    cully when, Dec 31, 2010