Re: I want OPTIONAL RUNNING PRINTOUT of a series of calculation

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Don McDonald, Jun 30, 2004.

  1. Don McDonald

    Don McDonald Guest

    (Don McDonald) wrote in message news:<>...

    newsgroups changed.
    nz.general deleted per advice.

    nz.comp,comp.sys.acorn.apps

    HELP! how to get printout style saved *SPOOL output from any program.
    If I didn't buy an Acorn RISC OS machine next time
    how would I do it.

    There's many (possibly several) ways to do it.
    How do the MS DOS folk do it??
    Please.

    Thanks for replies so far. I am still seeking please.(for 5 years.)
    don.lotto
    30.6.04

    160PRINT '"do you want to spool to- *ram.spcopr (coprime), hit 1 =
    yes,"'"(create ram disk task manager, I use 200 kbytes.)"'
    180 PRINT " else enter 0= No spool. Recommended."''"tip. hint. In
    fact you may skip on? (enter, enter, ...)"'"until beep requires
    decision
    on choice."
    200IF GET$="1" THEN
    220*ram
    240*sp. spcopr
    260PRINT "Yes. spcopr output from prog 'c21'..c24. c22Bc
    c241Q"'"end (later) enter: q. closes *ram.spcopr"
    280ENDIF
    300REM ---------
    320FOR t3 = 1 TO 3:pRINT'"IMPORTANT needs *BASIC64.** (SciCalc) for
    large nos."'"E.g. run from *menu64 or *basic64 CHAIN""c241Q""":NEXT
    t3

    > Murray Sutherland <murray-{remove}> wrote in message news:<LSPDc.5203$>...
    > > Don McDonald wrote:
    > >
    > > > I have a one-line cash-register printout type calculator program,
    > > > 80 characters.

    *key

    search groups ?? 1linecalc

    > > > I want OPTIONAL RUNNING PRINTOUT of a series of calculation
    > > > steps. BBC BASIC-V has *spool command.
    > > > Everything that goes to the screen also goes to a spool file.
    > > >

    > Thanks Murray sutherland , Daniel O'Connell, and Paul.
    >
    > I can do it very easily in BBC.

    above

    > Nobody in MS DOS has an answer. But they want me to up// grade ???xxx

    /upgrade to a worse situation/

    > well...
    > Paul VDU 2 VDU 3.
    > Yes output goes to printer ok.
    >
    > But really you want to save it to a file, annotate, etc.
    > Not a sufficient answer.
    >
    > Daniel.
    > LPRINT command Amiga.
    >
    > Yes but you have to change every print command in the program.
    > You do not have optional running printout
    > Turn off/ on.
    >
    > Not a sufficient answ.
    >
    > Murray.
    > data output.??
    > Yes I just want text, not graphics.
    >
    > See my examples.
    > It is very odd to me that I am the only person
    > in the .. 20-th Century that wants to do this !! C.20.

    another poster recommended VDu 5
    global printout serial parallel.
    I am not sure about that.
    I consider *spool or task window reasonable for BBC.

    I need to know how it is possible on a IBM-compat **** Pentium
    type system.
    > Nobody appreciates the offensive remarks made
    > by earlier replies.

    Thanks to other folks who stood up for me.
    > thank you,
    >
    > don.lotto
    > 29.6.04.
    >

    > > > This may be far simpler than MS-DOS 'save output' 1 screen.

    Yes I was able with difficulty to highlight and save just 1-screen.
    486 toshiba laptop. win95..

    not sufficient.
    > > > HOW DO YOU DO IT? PLEASE!
    > > >
    > > > HOW DO YOU DO IT? PLEASE!
    > > > HOW DO YOU DO IT? PLEASE!
    > > >
    > > > Myprogram 'SeriCalc4S' has 40+ scientific and statistical
    > > > functions. Many of my user written programs
    > > > usually require to OPTIONALLY save and annotate the screen output.
    > > >
    > > > Turn off and on!.

    ...> >

    > > How do you want the data output(graphics involved? just text?..)

    thanks
    don.lotto.
    Don McDonald, Jun 30, 2004

  2. Don McDonald

    Craig Shore Guest

    On 29 Jun 2004 20:39:29 -0700, (Don McDonald) wrote:

    <snip a whole lot of random stuff I didn't understand>

    Don,
    Tried to decipher your post. Am I right in thinking you want the text output
    from your program to go to a file rather than the screen in MSDOS?

    If you're running the program from the MSDOS command prompt then just redirect
    the output to a file

    e.g. At the command prompt just type
    yourprogram.exe >spoolfile.txt
    Craig Shore, Jun 30, 2004

  3. Don McDonald

    druck Guest

    On 30 Jun 2004 (Don McDonald) wrote:
    > (Don McDonald) wrote in message
    >
    > newsgroups changed. nz.general deleted per advice.
    >
    > nz.comp,comp.sys.acorn.apps

    This is a programming question, use comp.sys.acorn.programmer.

    ---druck

    druck, Jun 30, 2004
  4. Don McDonald

    Don McDonald Guest

    Craig Shore <> wrote in message news:<>...

    Great! Craig. Thank you,

    IMPORTANT. Does that work with a interactive program?
    I may have tried it before.** VERY interesting.

    I need to see everything on screen AND ***spoolfile.
    so i can direct-communicate with the prog interactively
    and collect the whole or (select on/off) part of my interactive session
    including inputs + outputs.

    > On 29 Jun 2004 20:39:29 -0700, (Don McDonald) wrote:
    >
    > <snip a whole lot of random stuff I didn't understand>
    >
    > Don,
    > Tried to decipher your post. Am I right in thinking you want the text output
    > from your program to go to a file *rather* than the screen in MSDOS?

    Quite good! I appreciate your thoughts..

    not *rather* but BOTH... AS WELL AS!!

    > If you're running the program from the MSDOS command prompt then just redirect
    > the output to a file
    >
    > e.g. At the command prompt just type
    > yourprogram.exe >spoolfile.txt

    My 486 laptop is away at the moment.
    I need to do an example (MORE complicated than...

    100 /7
    *4
    -3
    +16
    SQRT

    like
    40
    n C r 6
    and so on.

    i do it all the time on BBC RISC OS computer.

    cheers
    don.lotto 1.7.04.
    Don McDonald, Jul 1, 2004