Re: I think we should leave this group for P&S's

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by DRS, Dec 19, 2008.

  1. DRS

    DRS Guest

    "HEMI-Powered" <> wrote in message

    [...]

    > I wish der Fuhrer of der Green Nazis would have stuck with the
    > Internet instead of going on to invent something far more
    > dangerous, the idiotic notion of global warming being caused by
    > man.

    You're embarrassing yourself. The IPCC's forecasts were too conservative
    (for political reasons the probability that climate change is anthropogenic
    was downgraded from virtually certain (P>0.99) to very likely (P>0.9)). The
    forecasted effects on physical and biological systems are occurring earlier
    than predicted. See "Attributing physical and biological impacts to
    anthropogenic climate change", Nature, v453 n7193 pp353-357, a metastudy of
    29,000 studies in the literature.

    DRS, Dec 19, 2008

  2. DRS

    J. Clarke Guest

    DRS wrote:
    > "HEMI-Powered" <> wrote in message
    >
    > [...]
    >
    >> I wish der Fuhrer of der Green Nazis would have stuck with the
    >> Internet instead of going on to invent something far more
    >> dangerous, the idiotic notion of global warming being caused by
    >> man.

    > You're embarrassing yourself. The IPCC's forecasts were too
    > conservative (for political reasons the probability that climate
    > change is anthropogenic was downgraded from virtually certain
    > (P>0.99) to very likely (P>0.9)). The forecasted effects on
    > physical
    > and biological systems are occurring earlier than predicted. See
    > "Attributing physical and biological impacts to anthropogenic
    > climate
    > change", Nature, v453 n7193 pp353-357, a metastudy of 29,000 studies
    > in the literature.

    All of which assume that the change is anthropogenic?

    And if you really believe this then why are you using power of any
    kind? Because giving up such things as computers and private jets is
    for _other_ people?

    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    J. Clarke, Dec 19, 2008

  3. DRS

    DRS Guest

    "J. Clarke" <> wrote in message
    > DRS wrote:

    [...]

    >> You're embarrassing yourself. The IPCC's forecasts were too
    >> conservative (for political reasons the probability that climate
    >> change is anthropogenic was downgraded from virtually certain
    >> (P>0.99) to very likely (P>0.9)). The forecasted effects on
    >> physical
    >> and biological systems are occurring earlier than predicted. See
    >> "Attributing physical and biological impacts to anthropogenic
    >> climate
    >> change", Nature, v453 n7193 pp353-357, a metastudy of 29,000 studies
    >> in the literature.

    > All of which assume that the change is anthropogenic?

    Most do. The peer reviewed literature runs about 9 studies for versus 1
    against and has done for some years.

    We know, for example, that the contemporary increase in CO2 is because of
    burning fossil fuels because of things like changes in the percentage of
    atmospheric carbon13. We also know that climate models cannot account for
    the observed trends without incorporating anthropogenic factors. Natural
    factors alone are insufficient to explain the observations. That's the
    point of the cited metastudy. It's about matching observational studies -
    29,000 of them - with the IPCC's forecasts. Greenland's base ice is melting
    earlier than predicted. Spring is coming earlier and Winter is shorter.
    Climate sensitive species are migrating to areas they've never been in
    before. And so forth. All predicted and all observed happening too soon
    according to the predictions.

    > And if you really believe this then why are you using power of any
    > kind? Because giving up such things as computers and private jets is
    > for _other_ people?

    How do you know I don't source my electricity from carbon neutral sources?
    And I assure you I don't have a private jet. In any event, it isn't
    necessary to go back to the Stone Age to stop climate change, no matter how
    hysterical the deniers get. It's all about balances. Industrialised
    society has thrown the global carbon cycle out of equilibrium and now we
    have to stop increasing our carbon output until a new equilibrium is reached
    that we can live with. Even if we waved a magic wand and stopped producing
    any carbon at all that process will still take a few decades but the
    alternative - business as usual - will result in a new equilbrium that will
    cause extreme hardship across the planet.

    Anyway, I'd rather be talking about photography in here but the ideological
    selfishness and stupidity of the deniers along with their pseudo-science
    just gets too much sometimes. Unfortunately, their stupidity is dangerous.

    DRS, Dec 19, 2008