Re: I think I'm a newbie?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Gary - US, Aug 25, 2003.

  1. Gary - US

    Gary - US Guest

    It certainly was. I am afraid there is no comparison for a C64 to an Intel
    based machine. I don't see how someone can be around computer for 14 years
    and know this little about them. I think this may be a BS post.

    --

    Semper Fi & God Bless America,

    Gary-US MCNGP #20 & retired Jarhead

    http://www.mcngp.tk
    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help
    ** Kindly Do The Needful **

    " ~~AAJakeleg" <> wrote in message
    > I'm going to let others answer, but that was one of the most eloquent and
    > funny posts I have ever read.
    >

    > "Basil T Stansworth" <> wrote in message
    > Dear Sirs and/or Madams,
    >
    > I purchased my first computer 14 years ago. It is a commodore 64, and I

    must
    > say I am in shock!! I just purchased a 'super-computer a week ago. I can't
    > believe the difference!
    > I don't know anyone here, so perhaps a fellow cyber-web denizen would be
    > kind enough to help me.
    >
    > Let me say first, I have no idea how I got to this 'program' or
    > 'application' or whatever it is to 'chat', or 'post', or 'put on the

    board'
    > (I'm learning) so there is a significant chance that it may be many weeks
    > before I can learn how to do it on purpose. Please, do not worry about

    that,
    > I have studied hi-tech calculators and computers all of my adult life, as
    > well as 'Coding' on my 64, and feel this is a project I might benefit
    > greatly from. But for some other issues, I need to be pointed in the right
    > direction. However, I will stay in this application for my first questions
    > to be answered, because I might need to know before I can again regain

    your
    > presence.
    >
    > The questions are 3: Please do not feel that if you do not know the answer
    > to one or two of the questions, that you are not qualified to reply to
    > something you do know. I would be grateful for anything - and, now I am
    > assuming this because I can see other people's responses, your responses

    > my question will help many who are in my same predicament. If I am

    assuming
    > too much, and only people running a super-computer, like myself, can see
    > everybody's questions and answers, forgive me, I do not mean to embarrass
    > anyone.
    >
    > Now for my first question: At the top of my screen it says,
    > "24hoursupport.helpdesk". What company or organization do I owe my
    > appreciation? How many support people are hired to help at any given time?
    > Does it come free with the new computers, or am I paying for it through my
    > www internet line? Or, is this the dwelling of a board of learned
    > technicians who know that those of us who understand computers have a
    > responsibility to help those who are new? I can't believe the essentials

    are
    > too much different than my C64 and calculators, so if this is a board of
    > volunteers, I would like to throw in my hat to tutor people who lack our
    > experience. I can sit on the board and answer questions Mon-Fri, after

    7:00
    > pm and one day on the weekend, of course I am willing to sit in for one of
    > my comrades in a pinch.
    >
    > Question 2: I overheard two technologically savvy men talk about 'Computer
    > Networking'. I have been watching this development with interest for many
    > years, but only now have 2 computers. I understand the principle, but am
    > having a hard time with the nuts and bolts of actualization. Has anyone

    here
    > networked a Commodore 64 to a Windows? I would much appreciate to learn of

    > book that could shed some light on this.
    >
    > Question 3: It is my understanding that the new computers have quite a bit
    > more memory than my C64, which has, of course 64,000+change bytes. My new
    > computer is a Microsoft Windows 98. I at first, naturally, assumed that it
    > holds 98,000 bytes. This, though impressive, does not even double the

    amount
    > of memory in my 'development' machine. I was told that my W98 is a super
    > computer, and quite frankly, was expecting a little more zip. I have come

    > 3 possible explanations, and I would like the thoughts of my fellow
    > computer-phials - and don't worry if you do not know for sure, I am only
    > looking for your thoughts here. 1. The normal computers have 98k, but the
    > super computers have additional memory, but keep the same packaging to

    keep
    > costs down. 2. The 98, unlike the 64 in the C64, does NOT in fact refer to
    > the memory, but to something else (central processing unit clock speed?)

    3.
    > The memory IS indeed 98k bytes, but over the years, improvements in

    silicon
    > and other support technologies have virtually changed the name of the

    game.

    Gary - US, Aug 25, 2003

  2. Gary - US

    Raine Guest

    LOL, I have an original Vectrex, complete with games!
    Also a ZX 48k Spectrum, with rubber keyboard!
    Raine.
    "Jan" <> wrote in message news:MPG.19b3309162ee70cc9896bf@shawnews...
    In article <lNf2b.7750
    $-
    kc.rr.com>,
    says...
    It certainly was. I am afraid there is no comparison for a C64 to an Intel
    based machine. I don't see how someone can be around computer for 14 years
    and know this little about them. I think this may be a BS post.

    I have him beat - I started out with a VIC 20!
    --
    Cheers!

    Jan

    Raine, Aug 25, 2003

  3. Gary - US

    Mistercmk Guest

    No really? What was your first clue that this was a troll? On a side not,
    nice job to the OP. It is one of the funniest troll posts I've seen.

    Mistercmk, Aug 25, 2003
  4. Gary - US

    Conor Guest

    In article <MPG.19b3309162ee70cc9896bf@shawnews>,
    says...

    > I have him beat - I started out with a VIC 20!

    Newbie :)
    I started out on a Sinclair ZX81 (Sold as Timex in US) which had a
    whopping 1K of RAM and two bit colour (black and white) with no sound
    and a flat touch keyboard.

    --
    ________________________
    Conor Turton

    ICQ:31909763
    ________________________

    Conor, Aug 25, 2003
  5. Gary - US wrote:

    > It certainly was. I am afraid there is no comparison for a C64 to an
    > Intel based machine. I don't see how someone can be around computer for
    > 14 years and know this little about them. I think this may be a BS post.

    Wow, that finally dawned on ya huh? :)
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

    Gary G. Taylor, Aug 25, 2003
  6. Jan <> wrote in news:MPG.19b3309162ee70cc9896bf@shawnews:

    > In article <lNf2b.7750
    > $-
    > kc.rr.com>,
    > says...
    > It certainly was. I am afraid there is no comparison for a C64 to an Intel
    > based machine. I don't see how someone can be around computer for 14 years
    > and know this little about them. I think this may be a BS post.
    >
    > I have him beat - I started out with a VIC 20!

    I still have a
    XZ81
    and a C64
    and a C128D

    I also have a sega sc3000h hmmm I think there is an atari something
    somewhere.... hmmm been meaning to take them to the tip for 12 odd years
    now...

    http://quantum.2ya.com/email.htm

    Bebop & Rocksteady, Aug 25, 2003
  7. Gary - US