Re: I stayed up too late last night ......

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike Easter, Nov 4, 2010.

  1. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    ~BD~ wrote:
    > ..... and now need a little help! :)

    This is a silly mission that no one is going to be interested in.

    > I cannot locate a post I made from Google Groups, yet I know I made it!

    Who do you think could possibly care? Only you.

    Therefore only you should be spending any time or energy doing what only
    you care anything about.

    > Here's a message I've found on Usenet (one of mine)
    >
    > http://al.howardknight.net/msgid.cgi?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=<>

    This is a message posted to the 'stupid' group MS.public.test.here - it
    is not a message posted from GG to anything. I don't what that message
    has to do with your mission.

    > I also posted in that same thread from Google Groups (as BoaterDave)

    The problem is that GG search tool is a very very poor search tool; so
    when it doesn't work for something, you are out of luck unless you can
    find it some other way.

    > Here is a confirmatory header:-

    Confirmatory? What does that mean exactly?

    > Subject: Re: pqlr.org/bbs/
    > Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 04:20:05 -0700

    That is a message posted to the test.here group via MS's news server. I
    don't see what that message has to do with your mission either.

    > For the life of me, here on my computer (OS X) I simply cannot find the
    > post on Google Groups anywhere (using Safari or SeaMonkey).

    I believe that. You are trying to find it using GG's search tool - a
    very very weak tool.

    > I'd be grateful if others will have a look and see if *they* can find it
    > on GG - then maybe post a link to the location.

    Subscribe to a news server which carries the group and has a
    sufficiently long retention, such as giganews. Your btinternet
    outsources its news to giganews, but I'm not sure that you have access
    to the full giganews retention -- this will be a chance for you to find out.

    giganews has: microsoft.public.test.here 6710051 articles.

    giganews has: Text Retention: 2691 days

    So giga carries the stupid group and has tons of days of retention. You
    only need less than 600 days retention to get back to 2009 Mar.

    You can download all of the test.here message headers in your news agent
    back to 2009 Mar.

    However, it is possible that a GG sourced message may not have
    propagated to the giga server and is only to be found in the GG
    interface, but not by normal searching such as subject and group or MID.

    Under that circumstance, you should use GG advanced search date function
    and ask GG to give you a date range for the test.here group.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 4, 2010

  2. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > ~BD~ wrote:

    >> I cannot locate a post I made from Google Groups, yet I know I made
    >> it!

    > However, it is possible that a GG sourced message may not have

    propagated to the giga server and is only to be found in the GG
    interface, but not by normal searching such as subject and group or MID.

    > Under that circumstance, you should use GG advanced search date

    function and ask GG to give you a date range for the test.here group.

    Thread http://bit.ly/9dMJ6g

    5 messages posted to the 83 message thread by BoaterDave via GG:

    http://bit.ly/dgeNSW
    Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 12:35:06 -0700 (PDT)

    http://bit.ly/9BDHco
    Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 00:18:00 -0700

    http://bit.ly/9bpRfi
    Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 08:26:56 -0700 (PDT)

    http://bit.ly/crvyEY
    Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 23:58:43 -0700 (PDT)

    http://bit.ly/drBxgu
    Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 13:02:51 -0700 (PDT)

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 4, 2010

  3. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > 5 messages posted to the 83 message thread by BoaterDave via GG:

    > http://bit.ly/9BDHco
    > Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 00:18:00 -0700

    Cancel that one and make it 4 messages. That was BoaterDave posting via
    the MS news server. I was misled on that one by the nymshifting.

    If there were some other styles of nymshifting going on, there may be
    other errors, as I was 'scanning' the 83 messages over months for
    BoaterDave and not BD.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 4, 2010