Re: I smell trouble.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by chuckcar, Jun 14, 2010.

  1. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote in
    news::

    > Monday, History channel is airing a special, "Who Discovered America"
    > - to debunk the claim that Columbus discovered America.

    ROFL. Anyone who's been to high school knows it's true - the continental
    shelf alone and several Caribean islands, but still true. Amerigo Vespuchi
    for the "country" (specifically what is now Florida) and the South American
    continent and Johann Cabotto for the North American continent itself
    (specifically the Island of Newfoundland). However that all being said,
    the question is a contradiction in terms as the continents and their
    continental shelves were only named *because* of Vespuchi and had no
    name before that.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Jun 14, 2010

  2. chuckcar

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-06-14, chuckcar <> wrote:
    > Evan Platt <> wrote in
    >
    >> Monday, History channel is airing a special, "Who Discovered America"
    >> - to debunk the claim that Columbus discovered America.
    >>

    > ROFL. Anyone who's been to high school knows it's true - the continental
    > shelf alone and several Caribean islands, but still true. Amerigo Vespuchi
    > for the "country" (specifically what is now Florida) and the South American
    > continent and Johann Cabotto for the North American continent itself
    > (specifically the Island of Newfoundland). However that all being said,
    > the question is a contradiction in terms as the continents and their
    > continental shelves were only named *because* of Vespuchi and had no
    > name before that.

    <cough>

    I'm sure the people living there had names for the place they lived in,
    long before Europeans thought of any names for it.

    As for the European naming of the new-found continents, 'America' seems to
    have stuck because of one Martin Waldseemüller who wrote it on a map he
    published in 1507; he also published a book that included an account by
    Vespucci of one of his voyages.

    As Vespucci was neither a saint nor a monarch, I think it very unlikely
    that his first name would have been used as the basis for the name of any
    place. A better claim to the honour can be made for a Welshman of
    aristocratic lineage, Richard ap Merik; the Anglicised version of his
    surname being 'Amerik' (or variations thereof). He was a prosperous
    Bristol merchant, and a major investor in the official exploratory voyage
    made by Giovanni Cabotto (Anglicised to John Cabot) under licence from
    Henry VIII in 1497.

    European knowledge of, and visits to, the Americas, date back at least
    to the early 'Middle Ages' - but for sound commercial reasons, not widely
    publicised.

    <http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/tudors/americaname_01.shtml#top>

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jun 14, 2010

  3. chuckcar

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 18:29:03 +0100, Whiskers wrote:

    > On 2010-06-14, chuckcar <> wrote:
    >> Evan Platt <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Monday, History channel is airing a special, "Who Discovered America"
    >>> - to debunk the claim that Columbus discovered America.
    >>>

    >> ROFL. Anyone who's been to high school knows it's true - the
    >> continental shelf alone and several Caribean islands, but still true.
    >> Amerigo Vespuchi for the "country" (specifically what is now Florida)
    >> and the South American continent and Johann Cabotto for the North
    >> American continent itself (specifically the Island of Newfoundland).
    >> However that all being said, the question is a contradiction in terms
    >> as the continents and their continental shelves were only named
    >> *because* of Vespuchi and had no name before that.

    > <cough>
    >
    > I'm sure the people living there had names for the place they lived in,
    > long before Europeans thought of any names for it.
    >
    > As for the European naming of the new-found continents, 'America' seems
    > to have stuck because of one Martin Waldseemüller who wrote it on a map
    > he published in 1507; he also published a book that included an account
    > by Vespucci of one of his voyages.
    >
    > As Vespucci was neither a saint nor a monarch, I think it very unlikely
    > that his first name would have been used as the basis for the name of
    > any place. A better claim to the honour can be made for a Welshman of
    > aristocratic lineage, Richard ap Merik; the Anglicised version of his
    > surname being 'Amerik' (or variations thereof). He was a prosperous
    > Bristol merchant, and a major investor in the official exploratory
    > voyage made by Giovanni Cabotto (Anglicised to John Cabot) under licence
    > from Henry VIII in 1497.
    >
    > European knowledge of, and visits to, the Americas, date back at least
    > to the early 'Middle Ages' - but for sound commercial reasons, not
    > widely publicised.
    >
    > <http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/tudors/americaname_01.shtml#top>

    Well, that told him, didn't it?

    :)

    Aardvark, Jun 14, 2010
  4. chuckcar

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-06-14, Aardvark <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 18:29:03 +0100, Whiskers wrote:

    [...]

    > Well, that told him, didn't it?
    >
    > :)

    Just keeping the records straight :))