Re: I really miss Kodak Ektalure "G" paper!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David Ruether, Mar 12, 2009.

  1. "Darrell A. Larose" <> wrote in message news:gpb31k$3o1$...

    >I really miss Kodak Ektalure "G" paper! I printed a lot of stuff on it, it was just a nice portrait paper, slightly warm (Ivory)
    >base and a warm tone. Does anyone here have an inkjet match for it?
    >
    > Darrell Larose
    > Photo Technician

    As a printer who enjoyed brilliance and sharpness in prints,
    I detested that "bubbly-surfaced" black-and-white-free paper
    that made everything look like the prints had aged badly - and
    I could never figure out why anyone would want to use it...! 8^)
    --DR

    David Ruether, Mar 12, 2009

  2. "George Kerby" <> wrote in message news:C5DEBCFD.247CC%...
    > On 3/12/09 10:56 AM, in article gpbbc4$hgf$, "David
    > Ruether" <> wrote:
    >> "Darrell A. Larose" <> wrote in message

    >>> I really miss Kodak Ektalure "G" paper! I printed a lot of stuff on it, it
    >>> was just a nice portrait paper, slightly warm (Ivory)
    >>> base and a warm tone. Does anyone here have an inkjet match for it?
    >>>
    >>> Darrell Larose
    >>> Photo Technician

    >> As a printer who enjoyed brilliance and sharpness in prints,
    >> I detested that "bubbly-surfaced" black-and-white-free paper
    >> that made everything look like the prints had aged badly - and
    >> I could never figure out why anyone would want to use it...! 8^)
    >> --DR

    > That's why there is more than vanilla...

    [Note the "8^)"...;-]
    But, why would anyone want "BAD" when "GOOD" is available,
    and no more expensive...??? ;-) I guess maybe someone somewhere
    really would want to use "raspberry-royal (red streaks) with chocolate
    chunks (brown splotches)" paper if it were available, huh?... 8^)
    But, really, if one starts with neutral coloring and the best possible
    blacks and whites in a print paper, one can then do anything else.
    Anything less than that is very limiting... (which is not to say that I did
    not start out with a warm-toned "silk"-surfaced paper when I began
    making paper prints ever so ridiculously long ago - and two of them are
    [embarrassingly] in the collection of the Museum of Modern Art... 8^).
    --DR

    David Ruether, Mar 12, 2009

  3. "George Kerby" <> wrote in message news:C5DEDF26.247F6%...
    > On 3/12/09 3:08 PM, in article gpbq3q$j5o$, "David
    > Ruether" <> wrote:

    >> ....if one starts with neutral coloring and the best possible
    >> blacks and whites in a print paper, one can then do anything else.
    >> Anything less than that is very limiting... (which is not to say that I did
    >> not start out with a warm-toned "silk"-surfaced paper when I began
    >> making paper prints ever so ridiculously long ago - and two of them are
    >> [embarrassingly] in the collection of the Museum of Modern Art... 8^).
    >> --DR

    > I dunno about all of that, but one paper that most people hated when I was
    > working at a "Camera Store" in the late 70's was called "E" surface. It had
    > a raised surface resembling a fine 'mesh', much like a screen on a window.
    > It was universally hated by my customers, but Kodak was using it, I guess to
    > make copies of the prints more difficult, since the irregular surface
    > produced myriad of reflections.

    Yup, that was the surface I used, but made by Luminos...8^(
    I also likely over washed those prints - so now metallic silver
    has probably migrated to the paper surface, spoiling them
    even further, sigh...! I liked the Luminos E surface at the time
    for the deep blacks without the need for a high gloss to get
    them. Much better papers arrived later, though...
    --DR

    David Ruether, Mar 13, 2009